Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:55:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Dec 11th & I've not yet heard Fairytale Of New York...

Started by Dead kate moss, December 11, 2012, 10:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Christmas ditty have you had the pleasure of hearing so far this year?

So Here It Is Merry Christmas Everyone etc - Slade
3 (25%)
Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer - fuck knows who by
1 (8.3%)
That Gary Glitter track banned from Radio 1
2 (16.7%)
Maggie you cunt.
1 (8.3%)
Oi Be Dreaming Of A White England - Jethro
0 (0%)
Rolf doing 2 little boys
2 (16.7%)
Now They Wanna Ban Christmas! (You Couldn't Make It Up) - Richard Littlecock
1 (8.3%)
The Christmas Shoes
1 (8.3%)
An tSaoi
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Dead kate moss

What the fuck is going on? Let me be clear, I'm not complaining,even though I like the song. But I only just heard 'Merry Christmas Everyone' just now for the first time this year on a repeat of The Office. A brief shop around Brent Cross shopping centre had a few carol type songs so maybe i missed the usual festive standards - but is it just me? Has anyone else noticed the absence of those songs - or is it just a little too early?

Perhaps people could record each and every time when they hear any of the regulars. I'll add a poll, feel free to deface it immediately. I've already cocked it up so you can only vote once, which you apparently cannot edit. whatver.

SyntadxError

when humanity finally abandons the 'christmas canon' it will not 'rue the day'

Subtle Mocking

To be honest, I've not heard many of the 'regulars' in public this year (yer Fairytales, yer Wizzards, yer Slades), and they all seem to have been replaced with more modern, more banal Christmas standards, from the likes of Michael Bubble. I don't know which is worse.

Mr Eggs

Thomas

Last week my mum put on a CD of American children singing Christmas songs, probably came free with an auntie's copy of the Daily Mail in 2006.

The singing children all pronounced 'Santa' as 'Sin-ah' and their voices clashed disgustingly with a keyboard's attempt at sounding like classical instruments.

Jumble Cashback

Am I the only one who's tired of hearing people banging on about how great Fairytale of New York is?  Just once, I'd like to hear someone say they find it a bit too bittersweet to genuinely enjoy and that, despite all her crimes against music, they actually enjoy Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' quite a bit more.  I think FONY has a very important place and I'm glad it's so widely embraced, but I just can't bring myself to really like it any more than the bar-room folk band music from which it's derived.

Edit:  Not that I'm actually saying anyone in this thread has trumpeted it.  I've just noticed a lot of people on telly and in social situations all, without exception, saying it's the best Christmas song.

No. Last week friends of mine were saying how sad it is that Pet Shop Boys' Always On My Mind kept Fairytale Of NY from being Christmas number 1. They were wrong. Fairytale is only popular because you can sing it when you're paralytic-drunk and it doesn't sound any worse.

I remember last year Scott Mills being proud of playing Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas song in November. AND NOW HE IS DEAD.

(I heard Merry Xmas Everyone in Asda recently. Asda have no shame. Although they do now sell orzo, which is nice.)

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Ernst Julius Opik on December 11, 2012, 11:23:21 PM
(I heard Merry Xmas Everyone in Asda recently. Asda have no shame. Although they do now sell orzo, which is nice.)

Oddly enough, of all the 'classic' Christmas songs, that's the one I've heard most this month. Is Shakin' Stevens going through some sort of Velvet Underground-esque revival?

Serge

I heard the Greg Lake one in Sainsburys this morning. Not heard 'Fairytale' or any of the others yet.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: Ernst Julius Opik on December 11, 2012, 11:23:21 PM
Fairytale is only popular because you can sing it when you're paralytic-drunk and it doesn't sound any worse.

Mr. MacIntyre, it's an honour.

Thomas

I heard Fair'tal' the other day, come to think of it. Shane MacGowan's voice makes it sound like it's being done live every time, with no rests in between.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

For the past few years, a combination of working from home, having very little money to go out, and no telly means that I manage to miss all the build up until I go back to my parents' house a few days before the day itself.

Vodka Margarine

Ach, really can't be doing with Fairytale of NY any more. A gem 25 years ago, it has now been ruined and tainted by being played to absolute buggery over the past few Christmases (though obviously not in the case of this year so far). All those smuggos who think they're being clever, obscure and tasteful by bleating on and on about how it's the best Xmas tune. Yeah, it probably is. But now because there's been no getting away from it for so long, it's become an earnest and worthy clopalong standard - the stuff of pipes, slippers, Radio 2 and Christmas jumper cunts. A far cry from the desperately bleak lyrics, which no-one really ever seems to actually listen to, other than that infamous 'you scumbag, you maggot/you cheap lousy faggot' line. Hurhurhur, did you hear that? She said 'faggot'.

Even at this time of year, I'd much rather listen to the rest of the Pogues' (early) stellar back catalogue, or indeed, Kirsty MacColl's.

Lieutenant Longstay

I'be not heard it, but it's not really Christmas yet. I love the song

tookish

A Spaceman Came Travelling is my least favourite song in the world. It was playing in Tesco when I went there on Monday night, and I've never moved faster than I did to get back out of the door again. Five minutes and seven seconds of smug gittishness.

The worst bit is when de Burgh starts 'rocking out' at the end. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

HappyTree

I love Christmas songs. Here comes Santa Claus, chestnuts, open fire, winter wonderland, all that stuff. I especially love this. Watch it. You'll thank me in the end.

Jumble Cashback

Yeah, A Spaceman Came Travelling hardly even counts as a Christmas song.  Too, I dunno, shite.  I've heard FONY quite a few times on the radio so far, along with Wizard and Mariah Carey.  Not heard Slade once though.  In anything.  They did overplay it for a couple of years recently, though.  Maybe it'll come back.  Strangely, FONY is the one I've heard most this year - even though none of you seem to have heard it yet.  Maybe it's because I work in a pub 2 afternoons a week and the only radio stations we're allowed to listen to are Real Radio and Forth 1.  Actually, I take it back, the one I've heard the most is Diamonds in the Cunting Sky.  That song can fuck itself right off my radio, please.

Even though I can't drive and live at home, for me, Driving Home for Christmas sums up the Christmas experience.

Harry Badger

Quote from: tookish on December 12, 2012, 12:54:28 AM
A Spaceman Came Travelling is my least favourite song in the world. It was playing in Tesco when I went there on Monday night, and I've never moved faster than I did to get back out of the door again. Five minutes and seven seconds of smug gittishness.

The worst bit is when de Burgh starts 'rocking out' at the end. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I'm too pissed at present to remember the tune for this. I've not heard 'Christmas Wrapping' yet, which is a shame as I've always had a preference for that tune. I've only just heard the McCartney one, and that was while watching ABC News.

Fake Edit - I've just remembered A Spaceman Came Travelling. Meh, it's not the worst.

El Unicornio, mang

My friends and I closed out three different bars/club on Saturday night, and every single one ended the night with Fairytale of New York. Also, at one place a load of people (who clearly weren't even born when it came out) were pretend punching people during the song until a bouncer lady came and told them to stop. Is this what people do now?

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on December 12, 2012, 02:33:59 AM
My friends and I closed out three different bars/club on Saturday night, and every single one ended the night with Fairytale of New York. Also, at one place a load of people (who clearly weren't even born when it came out) were pretend punching people during the song until a bouncer lady came and told them to stop. Is this what people do now?

Nah, only in the the Deep South.

Melody Lee

Quote from: HappyTree on December 12, 2012, 01:38:00 AM
I love Christmas songs. Here comes Santa Claus, chestnuts, open fire, winter wonderland, all that stuff. I especially love this. Watch it. You'll thank me in the end.

I'll see your Dion, and raise you a Dio.

I don't really listen to many festive songs, mainly because I spend as little time in supermarkets and shopping centres around this time of year as I can, and I don't have much of a Christmassy song collection. Though I'm hearing a fair bit of, well... bollocks, at the moment (from loved ones' music collections). I save stuff like FoNY and others so that I don't get sick of hearing them. The same goes for festive films.

Subtle Mocking

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: tookish on December 12, 2012, 12:54:28 AM

I'd not heard it until now (or at least if I had I've deleted all memory of it, though that seems unlikely given how hideous it is) but it's horrific isn't it. And seemingly about an alien visiting Jesus and playing him some supposedly lovely music, before claiming he won't be back for another 2000 years, when he'll then play it again. Suggesting Chris DeBurgh is that time travelling / very old alien. Which I don't believe for a second. He's a liar that man. A fucking liar.

Nuclear Optimism

The other day I saw Carol Vorderman on one of the music channels presenting all the old reliables (Mariah, Wham, Slade, Wizzard, Chris Rea, Jonah Lewie and Mud). I listened to the whole thing, just to get them out of the way. Done and dusted. Now I can move on with my life.

biggytitbo

I've not been in a shop for about 2 months so I've not heard a single Christmas song yet. I might, might be prepared to listen to the opening synth part of Wonderful Christmastime, but everything else can bum off.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Unless the amazon or sainsburys delivery chap comes up my path whistling christmas tunes, and one would hope he learnt his lesson last year where that's concerned, it's another no retail christmas for me this year. I heartily recommend it

Well, that's discounting the very un-christmassy Wickes visit I have planned next week to stock up on materials for my DIY projects over the break

In short : humbug

What the politest way to address family members on christmas/boxing day when they scream HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!! in your face? because with each passing year I cannot even fake enough enthusiasm in this charade to repeat that stupid phrase back at their tissue paper crown cladded twatfaces

"yeah, whatever" just isn't cutting it anymore. I might go with Merry Winterval!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 12, 2012, 07:18:00 AM
I've not been in a shop for about 2 months so I've not heard a single Christmas song yet. I might, might be prepared to listen to the opening synth part of Wonderful Christmastime, but everything else can bum off.

I can't listen to this at work, so i'm not sure if it's the right tune as it doesn't have a name. It probably is though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314lZWHreqQ