Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Dec 11th & I've not yet heard Fairytale Of New York...

Started by Dead kate moss, December 11, 2012, 10:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Christmas ditty have you had the pleasure of hearing so far this year?

So Here It Is Merry Christmas Everyone etc - Slade
3 (25%)
Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer - fuck knows who by
1 (8.3%)
That Gary Glitter track banned from Radio 1
2 (16.7%)
Maggie you cunt.
1 (8.3%)
Oi Be Dreaming Of A White England - Jethro
0 (0%)
Rolf doing 2 little boys
2 (16.7%)
Now They Wanna Ban Christmas! (You Couldn't Make It Up) - Richard Littlecock
1 (8.3%)
The Christmas Shoes
1 (8.3%)
An tSaoi
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Kane Jones

Quote from: tookish on December 12, 2012, 01:15:30 PM
This shits on all the other Christmas songs ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL5_P8Wn_Pw

I prefer the one Kermit sings about there being one more sleep 'til Christmas.  It's got that wonderful Christmas Eve excitement about it.

Oh, and I quite like A Spaceman Came Travelling!  I think the chorus melody reeks of Christmas.  If you don't like this then you must also hate the 'da da da' intro to Seal's Kiss From A Rose, as the melody is almost identical (and consequently, always reminds me of Christmas when I hear it).

Erm.. So there!

SteveDave

Now I've got that Spaceman song in my head but it's combined itself with Nothing Really Matters by Del Amitri. It will never end. Thanks.

monkfromhavana

We're currently listening to Smooth Radio in the office, and they aren't playing ANY Xmas tunes whatsoever. It's quite nice having to wait for them to start next week. Would be better if they didn't play such unremitting shit though.

*EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT TIDE TIDE TIDE TIDE DIET DIET TIED TIED TIED*

FONY has just been played on Smooth. David "Kid" Jensen became self-aware at 16:34 GMT on the 12/12/2012.

Thomas

This thread just reminded me of a short story I wrote last year. This was its premise -

QuoteSince the 1973 release of Wizzard's fourth single, "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day", the twenty-fifth of December hasn't ended.

Gaunt layabout Winston Pith – employing the assistance of musical figures such as Bono, Morrissey, and Harry Nilsson (but not Simon Le Bon) – seeks to liberate the planet's shattered population from the frozen grip of Christmas once and for all.

It's here, if anyone wants to read it.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2012, 04:50:07 PM
This thread just reminded me of a short story I wrote last year. This was its premise -

It's here, if anyone wants to read it.

Kind of Groundhog Day-meets-Roy Wood-meets-Flash Gordon?

Thomas

BlodwynPig

Thomas

A necessary evil, BlodwynPig. He isn't depicted kindly.

Quote'Well tonight thank God I'm Bono
Instead of anyone else.'

Anyway. Don't want to be seen to be hi-jacking the thread. Christmas songs. My local shopping centre has started playing nothing but them.

tookish

Quote from: Kane Jones on December 12, 2012, 03:19:15 PM
I prefer the one Kermit sings about there being one more sleep 'til Christmas.  It's got that wonderful Christmas Eve excitement about it.

Oh, and I quite like A Spaceman Came Travelling!  I think the chorus melody reeks of Christmas.  If you don't like this then you must also hate the 'da da da' intro to Seal's Kiss From A Rose, as the melody is almost identical (and consequently, always reminds me of Christmas when I hear it).

Erm.. So there!

One More Sleep 'Til Christmas is a wonderful song too (the whole film and all its songs are lovely) so you will have no argument from me! Here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJv7rNkkKtg

this one also makes me cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkptsl03938

But I actually love Kiss From A Rose. My issue with the chorus in A Spaceman Came Travelling is that the narrative of the song claims that Chris de fucking Burgh going 'la la la' is the 'sweetest music,' when, you know, it's sung by Chris de fucking Burgh.

Cerys

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 12, 2012, 12:58:01 PM
Here's the real shocking theft of credit in this thread, as I already mentioned this in a previous post. Cerys you are MacGowan to my MacColl, you took my dreams from me.

I'm sorry.  But on the other hand - I'd do it again in an instant.  AN INSTANT, I TELL YOU!

Kane Jones

Fair point, tooks! I must admit, I've never properly listened to the words; the song just reminds me of being a kid at Christmas. I was pretty devastated when I found it is was Chris de Cunting Burgh who sang it, so now I just pretend it isn't him - just someone else with a thoroughly mundane, simpering voice.

A Christmas Carol is one of my favourite stories of all time, and The Muppets version is such a lovely adaptation, so I love it too! And yes, all the songs are ace.

This is just one big Christmas love-in! I've got a warm glow in my slightly battered old heart.

biggytitbo

How come we do the same thing every year? We did christmas last year...and the year before. Can't we shake it up a bit and have easter this year instead? Or a spring bank holiday?

Every day's a holiday on Spring Bank. Fine cuisine from all over the world. Wake up to the smell of fresh bread. Meet Steve Bruce at the Black and Amber bar. Meet Phil Brown at The Polar Bear.

biggytitbo

Or maybe the could run Christmas like the World Cup and Olympics - once every 4 years.

Keep it fresh.

HappyTree

I had never heard the Spaceman song in my life until 4m06s ago. Not the worst thing in the world, but very repetitive and never really gets started. Nice Rhodes, but the synth is cheap and cheesy. With any luck I shan't ever hear it again.

tookish

I'm bewildered by the amount of people who haven't heard it. It's everywhere. I swear I hear it in every fucking shop from mid-November onwards.

Natnar

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 12, 2012, 10:38:26 AM
Hate Christmas tunes....

why are there no modern classics - FTONY seems to be the most recent one - then there is Wham, then Slade and then "the classics". Awful shite.

There's that East 17 one "Stay Another Day" and that Darkness one about Bells that get played to death every xmas.

Funcrusher

I was just in the Tesco Metro near where I work, which never normally has music of any kind playing. Not only did I not hear 'FoNY', they were in fact playing 'Eye To Eye Contact' by Edwin Starr. Does this have some yuletide connection of which I am not aware?

Dead kate moss

Quote from: Natnar on December 13, 2012, 11:07:52 AM
There's that East 17 one "Stay Another Day"

That 'modern classic' that came out 19 years ago? Just being pedantic.

edit - unless you were just listing more shite xmas tunes.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Funcrusher on December 13, 2012, 11:19:29 AM
I was just in the Tesco Metro near where I work, which never normally has music of any kind playing. Not only did I not hear 'FoNY', they were in fact playing 'Eye To Eye Contact' by Edwin Starr. Does this have some yuletide connection of which I am not aware?

Edwin Starr used to live a couple of towns away from me in North Warwickshire. Nowt to do with Xmas, but there you go, more useless info about my inconsequential personal history.

Natnar

Quote from: Dead kate moss on December 13, 2012, 11:29:30 AM
That 'modern classic' that came out 19 years ago? Just being pedantic.

edit - unless you were just listing more shite xmas tunes.

Well Blodwyn said that there didn't seem to be any "classic" xmas tunes after the release of Fairytale of New York which came out 25 years ago...

Neville Chamberlain

boki

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on December 12, 2012, 08:19:51 PM
Every day's a holiday on Spring Bank. Fine cuisine from all over the world. Wake up to the smell of fresh bread. Meet Steve Bruce at the Black and Amber bar. Meet Phil Brown at The Polar Bear.
How's Spiders these days?

SteveDave

Quote from: Funcrusher on December 13, 2012, 11:19:29 AM

Tesco's Xmas adverts this year have been featuring non-Xmas songs. That's on one of them. A fat man eyes something (possibly food) from across the room.

Subtle Mocking

Funny, there was just some 'yoof' twat on XFM ranting about his girlfriend not liking FoNY. What a virgin.

Quote from: boki on December 13, 2012, 12:07:47 PM
How's Spiders these days?

It was great when I went two years ago. I had a willy worm. (Cider, malibu and a jelly worm.) I know someone who lost his glasses down a goth's cleavage in Spiders.

biggytitbo

I'd rather spend a night out inside in actual spider then ever go to Spiders again.

vrailaine

Does Jesus Christ by Big Star count? It has to, surely? Never see it on any of the compilations though.

SteveDave

Quote from: vrailaine on December 14, 2012, 12:39:01 AM
Does Jesus Christ by Big Star count? It has to, surely? Never see it on any of the compilations though.

That's something I was thinking of the other day. It's not even in any of the CaB Xmas Advent Calendar song lists either. I think.

Love that song especially before the solo when he says "We're gonna get born now"

sirhenry

I'm currently playing The Christmas Shoes to someone in a call centre in India. Impressively he hasn't hung up.