Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Dec 11th & I've not yet heard Fairytale Of New York...

Started by Dead kate moss, December 11, 2012, 10:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Christmas ditty have you had the pleasure of hearing so far this year?

So Here It Is Merry Christmas Everyone etc - Slade
3 (25%)
Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer - fuck knows who by
1 (8.3%)
That Gary Glitter track banned from Radio 1
2 (16.7%)
Maggie you cunt.
1 (8.3%)
Oi Be Dreaming Of A White England - Jethro
0 (0%)
Rolf doing 2 little boys
2 (16.7%)
Now They Wanna Ban Christmas! (You Couldn't Make It Up) - Richard Littlecock
1 (8.3%)
The Christmas Shoes
1 (8.3%)
An tSaoi
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

madhair60

When I was about four Chris De Burgh visited my school. He gave me the heebies so at the first opportunity I punched him in the balls as hard as I possibly could.

AND HE WENT

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

George Oscar Bluth II

At my house we've had this album every Christmas forever:

It features the usual classics (Wham, Slade, Band Aid, Shaky, Lewie, De Burgh, Cliff), no FoNY (which I suspect may be behind my antipathy towards the song) plus a few of songs that are not heard quite so much.

For instance, track 9 is Garry Glitter's Another Rock and Roll Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStOeXHSwxQ

No longer a fixture of Christmas parties due to his, er, Savile tendances. Is it missed? No. No it is not.[nb]Note the title of the album the song is taken from. Boys Will Be Boys indeed.[/nb]

Track 16 is Kate Bush's December Will Be Magic Again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZiadb3bpOI

I HATED this as a kid, but since discovering Kate's ouvre I've grown to appreciate it.

Track 17, Queen Thank God It's Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCON07r908g

Half arsed, Queen-by-numbers.

My favourite, track 14 Steeleye Span with Gaudete, it'll knock your ruddy socks off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN9AJj9rtlk

Oh and of course, the absolute worst Christmas song ever, The Beach Boys Little Saint Nick, featuring the most mocked lyric in history "Christmas comes this time each year". Yep, and I tell you to fuck off this time each year too, you lazy cunts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSynDh_K0EE

SteveDave

Christmas Shoes is a song I only heard a few weeks ago thanks to the Tell Em Steve-Dave Xmas podcast. Good Lord it's an awful song. I have an image of the poor boy's mum (or mom) in a hospital gown withered from cancer but with bright red high heels on. Meeting Jesus.

Duckula

^ I only heard it the other day for the first time. It's fucking atrocious.

SetToStun

SetToStun

Did you not see what I did there?[nb]Apologies if you did - I can't get YouTube at the minute.[/nb]

SteveDave

For those of you who haven't heard it here are the lyrics. Beware...

It was almost Christmas time, there I stood in another line
Trying to buy that last gift or two, not really in the Christmas mood
Standing right in front of me was a little boy waiting anxiously
Pacing 'round like little boys do
And in his hands he held a pair of shoes

His clothes were worn and old, he was dirty from head to toe
And when it came his time to pay
I couldn't believe what I heard him say

Chorus:
Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight

He counted pennies for what seemed like years
Then the cashier said, "Son, there's not enough here"
He searched his pockets frantically
Then he turned and he looked at me

He said Mama made Christmas good at our house
Though most years she just did without
Tell me Sir, what am I going to do,
Somehow I've got to buy her these Christmas shoes

So I laid the money down, I just had to help him out
I'll never forget the look on his face when he said
Mama's gonna look so great

Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight

Bridge:
I knew I'd caught a glimpse of heaven's love
As he thanked me and ran out
I knew that God had sent that little boy
To remind me just what Christmas is all about

Deader Kata Mosser

So I left on the 17th and had not heard the usual 70s/80s classics before i went, hows it been since then? I sensed there was that move to Michael Buble or 50s Christmas songs in the shopping centres, but I assume now they've let loose the canon? I went to a glam rock Japanese supergroup tribute to Mick Ronson last night, so the DJ there played Wizzard & Slade... and have heard that Mariah Carey one elsewhere. But still no FONY, and probably not going to get I Believe In Father Christmas or any of the usuals. There is this Japanese Christmas one, from a band - and this is what will get you clicking I expect - made up of pretty japanese teenage girls. 48 of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhCYmRiYP8Y

BlodwynPig

Thankfully and abnormally I haven't heard any Christmas tunes - apart from the quiz last night and they didn't even play anything obnoxious.

Calistan

Heh, now that I think about it I haven't heard Fairytale of New York at all this Christmas. Maybe I'll enjoy it more next year now.

MuteBanana

Next year John Lewis will have some whimsical songstress with acoustic guitar singing it over their new Christmas advert.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 24, 2012, 07:35:09 PM
Next year John Lewis will have some whimsical songstress with acoustic guitar singing it over their new Christmas advert.

Maybe they'll get Lumineers to do it, at a cost of £16 million.

Serge

Still not heard 'Fairytale' this year. Last night we sat in the shop after work playing Christmas songs on Youtube. We managed three (Jona Lewie, Roy Wood and Macca) before a sudden left turn into ZZ Top, Fleetwood Mac and Thin Lizzy. None of whom did Christmas songs, I think.

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: Serge on December 24, 2012, 09:51:54 PM
Still not heard 'Fairytale' this year. Last night we sat in the shop after work playing Christmas songs on Youtube. We managed three (Jona Lewie, Roy Wood and Macca) before a sudden left turn into ZZ Top, Fleetwood Mac and Thin Lizzy. None of whom did Christmas songs, I think.

But didn't Phil Lynott and some other person from Thin Lizzy team up with Steve and Paul from the Pistols to form the Greedy Bastards? They did a hilariously brazen give us yer money medley of half arsed, tuneless christmas songs for skag money. That's probably the greatest, most honest xmas record ever.

And that's my christmas fact.

Serge