Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:23:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pacific Rim

Started by VegaLA, December 15, 2012, 02:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

All you Monster/Halo/Sci fi/Del Toro fans have something to look forwards to.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/dec/13/pacific-rim-trailer-video

Hope it succeeds where Godzilla failed.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sons of Anarchy with monsters?

I'm in two minds: I'm not entirely convinced that Del Toro is as great as he's made out to be. The trailer makes it look like any old nerd bait genre pileup.

On the other hand, a giant robot rocket punched a monster.

chocky909

I wonder if Valve OKd the use of GLAdOS from the Portal games in the film? Fine, use the actress but using the same voice filter and speech pattern must be a copyright issue no?

madhair60

Quote from: chocky909 on December 15, 2012, 07:40:47 PM
I wonder if Valve OKd the use of GLAdOS from the Portal games in the film? Fine, use the actress but using the same voice filter and speech pattern must be a copyright issue no?

I read somewhere that they did OK it.  Found it:

Quote"I'm a big fan of Valve," del Toro told Kotaku during a New York Comic Con interview, adding "Portal and Left 4 Dead have been instrumental family experiences at my house."

del Toro says it was the influence of one of his daughters, who let her love for Valve shine through, which finally persuaded Valve's Gabe Newell to allow the voice to be used.

videogamer.com

chocky909

Yeah I probably could've looked that up myself. Thanks for doing it for me though. It's an odd decision, using a well known character as a cameo. Didn't know it was Del Toro involved. Is he actually directing? Wait... I'll find out myself this time!

EDIT

Yes. Yes he is directing.

Deanjam

New trailer for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA92Rw6kNWw

Guillermo Del Toro. Ron Perlman. Idris Elba. Giant robots. Giant monsters. Using a ship as a beating stick. Yeah, this'll do.

Pete23

Looks less Transformers and more Godzilla/Gamera than the previous trailer, so colour me excited. I want to live in a world where the answer to any kind of problem is to build a really big robot to kick some - imagine their response to 9/11?

One thing - do the two pilots have to copy each others moves all the time? That's going to make fighting pretty tricky.

olliebean

TBH all I see at the end of that trailer is big CGI things fighting each other with other big CGI things, which is something I've already seen plenty of. I wish we could wipe CGI off the film-maker's palette, then action films could go back to being interesting again. I mean they'd still be big dick-waving contests, but at least it would be about who had the biggest actual[nb]metaphorical[/nb] dick rather than who could draw the biggest[nb]metaphorical[/nb] dick on a computer.

chocky909

Quote from: olliebean on April 30, 2013, 05:45:51 PM
TBH all I see at the end of that trailer is big CGI things fighting each other with other big CGI things, which is something I've already seen plenty of. I wish we could wipe CGI off the film-maker's palette, then action films could go back to being interesting again. I mean they'd still be big dick-waving contests, but at least it would be about who had the biggest actual[nb]metaphorical[/nb] dick rather than who could draw the biggest[nb]metaphorical[/nb] dick on a computer.

Films with CGI action are no more alike than all films with people talking to each other are. There is a lot of expensive CGI shite out there which doesn't engage the viewer or excite because the choreography is bad. CGI is a tool that needs an artist to shine. It's still a very young element in the filmmakers' arsenal but don't be so quick to dismiss it.

That said it is surprising how fresh it is when new films use models and stuntmen. The problem is shite films existing. Avoid them and your problem is solved.

brat-sampson

I thought from the trailer the CGI on the robots looked remakably worn down and clunky, a complete antithesis to the ultra sleekness of the recent transformers movies, these things looked like some mechanics somewhere had actually beaten the metal and bolted these fuckers together.

Also it has Charlie Day and Idris Elba, and a giant robot punched a gianter alien in the face. I'm in.

Glebe

Even though I reckon it'll probably be pretty good (being from GDT and all), I find it hard to be impressed by these kinda big CG robo-battles... it actually looks surprisingly generic for Del Toro, although I actually enjoyed the trailer more on second viewing for some reason. And the character used in the voiceover sounds cheesy - noticed this about some of Del Toro's English-language films, maybe because it's not his first language the dialogue seems comes out a bit stilted. Or maybe it's just bad actors. Hmmm.

Canted_Angle

I see Charlie is the token computer geek in this. That with the Portal ladies voice and I'm sold for an Imax booking.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Glebe on April 30, 2013, 10:10:29 PM
And the character used in the voiceover sounds cheesy - noticed this about some of Del Toro's English-language films, maybe because it's not his first language the dialogue seems comes out a bit stilted. Or maybe it's just bad actors. Hmmm.

Yeah, big chunks of the dialogue in Hellboy 2 sounded weirdly stilted to me, like the timing was slightly off or something. The 'comedy' moments (matey in the suit bashing up Red Bloke in the lockers) felt almost eerily unfunny at times. I still enjoyed the film though, and it didn't seem so bad the second time I watched it.

I don't really understand why there are two pilots in each giant robot - seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Yes yes I know, giant monsters and robots etc etc, but it's niggling me for some reason, making it hard to go with the rest.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Canted_Angle on May 01, 2013, 04:27:44 PM
I see Charlie is the token computer geek in this. That with the Portal ladies voice and I'm sold for an Imax booking.

This explains how they got Del Toro to play Old Man McPoyle in the Sunny Halloween special last year.