Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 739
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:37:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No Known Cure: The Comedy of Chris Morris (BFI)

Started by benthalo, December 16, 2012, 03:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benthalo

Now listed for April 2013 from BFI Publishing. I'm afraid there's an essay in there by me but ignore that and I'm sure you'll be fine:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Known-Cure-Comedy-Morris/dp/1844574792/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355666558&sr=1-4

garbed_attic

There's one in there by me too, but it's woefully out of date now. Still, my first published work, y'all!

benthalo

Full contents list:

QuoteAcknowledgements
Notes on Contributors
Introduction: Why Bother? – James Leggott
1. Beyond Our Ken: Chris and Armando, Janet and John, and The Road To On the Hour – Ian Greaves
2. Rockarama Newsbanana: Chris Morris – Misbehaviour in Music Radio – Justin Lewis
3. Mocking the News: The Day Today and Brass Eye as Mockumentary News Satire – Craig Hight
4. 'Only This Can Make it a News': The Language of News Media – Dan North
5. Reporting the 'illegalisation of cake': Moral Panics and Brass Eye – Jeremy Collins
6. 'Complaints Were Received': Morris, Comedy, and Broadcasting in Context – Brett Mills
7. 'Handling' The Darkness: Chris Morris as Cultural Capital – Sam Friedman
8. 'Bashed Be Biff By All With Ears': Blue Jam and the Radio – Robert Dean and Richard J. Hand
9. Lost in Techno Trance: Dance Culture, Drugs and the Digital Image in Jam – Jamie Sexton
10. I remain, sir, Disgusted of America. 'Morriucci' and 9/11: 'An Absolute Atrocity Special' – David Walton
11. 'Well Futile': Nathan Barley and Post-Ironic Culture – Adam Whybray
12. 'Dad's Army Side to Terrorism': Chris Morris, Four Lions and Jihad Comedy – Sharon Lockyer
13. 'I don't wanna be dead! There's no future in it!': The US and UK critical reception of Four Lions – Russ Hunter
14. The helium of publicity: mass-mediated 'terrierism' – David Rolinson
Appendix: List of Morris Works
Index

Some very good people in there.

garbed_attic

Well, I've read the proofs and was generally impressed and edified! In my humble opinion, Dan North's, Sam Friedman's and David Rolinson's contributions were especially rigorous and interesting. I wish there was a chapter on 'Why Bother?' but that's the only notable exception from an otherwise great piece of work. Well done all who contributed!

garbed_attic

Mine came in the post today. Looks lovely. I seemingly managed to avoid any typos until the last page... but if anyone want me to cross it out for them with a tiny initial, I will. I am more than a "lil' OCD", as they say.