Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:46:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 14, 2015, 04:12:09 PM
Speaking of everyone's favourite Liverpool drummer (Ringo I mean) He's got a new album coming soon:

Postcards to Paradise:

Track List:
1. Rory And The Hurricanes
2. You Bring The Party Down
3. Bridges
4. Postcards From Paradise
5. Right Side Of The Road
6. Not Looking Back
7. Bamboula
8. Island In The Sun
9. Touch And Go
10. Confirmation
11. Let Love Lead

Surely the title of track 1 directly contradicts track 6?

That title track mentions loads of Beatles songs (and Back Off Boogaloo!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4BZgOEJfps.  It's not bad at all.

Co-written with Todd Rundgren apparently. 

SteveDave

As much as I love him, that song made my toes curl to the point where they look more like 10 pigs tails now.

Oops! Wrong Planet

The Beatle-looking-back song has been and gone, but I like it for being an almost mournful dirge. Very Ringo. Peace and love.

lazyhour

Oops! Wrong Planet

Mellotron wankers!

I like the 'trad arr.' credit though.

Custard

Found on Reddit, I thought this songwriting pie chart thingy was stroke-yer-beardy-chin interesting

http://i.imgur.com/Fz8J9Pf.png

JesusAndYourBush

I'm listening to Harrison's "Electronic Sound" album because I'd not heard it before.
In which George twiddles about with a new toy and makes a bunch of sound effects, but nothing remotely musical.
Why George, Why?

SteveDave

Not mostly his own work apparently

"Synthesist Bernie Krause later pursued legal action against Harrison, claiming that "No Time Or Space" (LP side two) was essentially a recording of him demonstrating the Moog III to Harrison (this is detailed in Krause's book Into a Wild Sanctuary). Krause also claimed that the demonstration was recorded without his knowledge or consent. Krause's name was originally credited on the front cover under Harrison's cover credit, but it was painted over at Krause's insistence.[1] Despite this, the words "Assisted by Bernie Krause" can still be read from under the silver ink on the original LP pressings"

ajsmith

I've never understood why he chose to release that on an LP.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Tiny Poster on March 25, 2015, 03:05:28 PM
weed

Almost certainly.

Reminds me of the story of the NME receiving test pressings of a John Lennon LP, which came with the two sides on separate discs, the reverse sides of each containing test tones, which were duly reviewed as a if they were experiments in electronic minimalism.

studpuppet

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: studpuppet on April 04, 2015, 06:01:38 PM
On this day...

Yeah, but the Pink Panther Theme was in the charts too, so it wasn't all bad.

Natnar

Bumping this thread because...

http://www.thebeatles.com/sites/one/index.html

QuoteTHE BEATLES' VIDEOS AND TOP HITS COME TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME

All-New Editions of The Beatles 1 Pair Beautifully Restored Promotional Films and Videos with Brand New Stereo and Surround Audio Mixes

Beatles 1+ Deluxe Edition Celebrates the Sight & Sound of The Beatles in 50 Films & Videos

London – September 15, 2015
After The Beatles stopped touring, and because travelling around the globe to promote new releases was impossible, the band increasingly made what could be described as "mini movies". These pioneering promotional films and videos helped to define the way we have come to watch music, not least because The Beatles approached filming with the same ease and innovative spirit they brought to the recording studio, exploring new creative possibilities with infectious delight. Showcasing the band's filmed work to accompany their 27 No.1, U.K. and U.S. singles, The Beatles 1 is newly restored and expanded in multiple configurations for global release on November 6 by Apple Corps Ltd/UMG.

The 27-track CD/DVD and CD/Blu-ray pairs beautifully restored videos for each song, with new stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS HD surround audio mixes. The brand new Beatles 1+ celebrates their career in over 200 minutes through 50 promotional films and videos. This includes the 27 No.1s, with the restored videos, along with a second disc of 23 videos, including alternate versions, as well as rarely seen and newly restored films and videos; all include new audio mixes in deluxe CD/2-DVD and CD/2-Blu-ray packages. The 27-track audio CD is also being made available with new stereo mixes. A 2 LP, 180-gram vinyl package will follow.

TThe new editions of The Beatles 1 have been made possible following extensive research, and restoration of the original promo films, classic television appearances and other carefully selected videos spanning the band's history. Apple Corps dug deep into The Beatles' vaults to select a broad range of films and videos for their rarity, historical significance and quality of performance. An 18-person team of film and video technicians and restoration artists was assembled by Apple Corps to undertake painstaking frame-by-frame cleaning, colour-grading, digital enhancement and new edits that took months of dedicated, 'round-the-clock work to accomplish.

The result is a visual run down of The Beatles' number one records, as well as the additional tracks on the bonus disc of Beatles 1+ that show the band in previously unseen standards of clarity and quality; many of the films and videos have never before been commercially released, in whole or in part.

Beatles 1 and Beatles 1+ offers the restored films, including 35mm negatives scanned in 4K and digitally restored with new stereo and 5.1 surround audio remixes, produced from the original analogue tapes by the GRAMMY® winning team of Giles Martin with Sam Okell at Abbey Road Studios. For four of the videos, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr have provided exclusive audio commentary and filmed introductions, respectively. The 1+ Deluxe Edition, presented in an expanded 124-page illustrated hardcover book includes 'an appreciation' of The Beatles' ground-breaking films and videos by music journalist and author Mark Ellen and extensive, detailed track/video annotation by music historian and author Richard Havers.

"These videos and films are spectacular reminders of the era we lived in. They also rock!"
Paul McCartney

"II think it's really interesting to see the videos we made, some of them incredible and some of them really incredible. How else would we have got to sit on a horse?"
Ringo Starr

Between 1962 and 1970, The Beatles released 27 No.1 hit singles in the U.S. and the U.K. In 2000, these timeless songs were collected for The Beatles 1, which topped the charts in 35 countries and became that decade's bestselling album worldwide. 15 years later, 1 is revisited for this entirely new, visually-inspired presentation.

It's The Beatles, as you've never seen them before.

The Beatles 1

[CD: DVD: CD+DVD: Blu-Ray: CD+Blu-Ray]
DISC 1 AUDIO (CD) + DISC 1 VIDEO
(DVD or Blu-ray)

Love Me Do
From Me To You
She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Can't Buy Me Love
A Hard Day's Night
I Feel Fine
Eight Days a Week
Ticket To Ride
Help!
Yesterday
Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Yellow Submarine
Eleanor Rigby
Penny Lane
All You Need Is Love
Hello, Goodbye
Lady Madonna
Hey Jude
Get Back
The Ballad of John and Yoko
Something
Come Together
Let It Be
The Long and Winding Road
DISC 1 VIDEO EXTRAS

Paul McCartney audio commentary
Penny Lane
Hello, Goodbye
Hey Jude
Ringo Starr filmed introductions
Penny Lane
Hello, Goodbye
Hey Jude
Get Back
The Beatles 1+

CD/2-DVD: CD/2-Blu-ray]
DISC 1 AUDIO (CD) + DISC 2 VIDEO (DVD or Blu-Ray)

(same as above)

DISC 2 VIDEO (DVD or Blu-Ray)

Twist & Shout
Baby It's You
Words Of Love
Please Please Me
I Feel Fine
Day Tripper *
Day Tripper *
We Can Work It Out *
Paperback Writer *
Rain *
Rain *
Strawberry Fields Forever
Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
A Day In The Life
Hello, Goodbye *
Hello, Goodbye *
Hey Bulldog
Hey Jude *
Revolution
Get Back *
Don't Let Me Down
Free As A Bird
Real Love
DISC 2 VIDEO EXTRA

Paul McCartney audio commentary
Strawberry Fields Forever
* alternate version

Serge

Woo-hoo! Surprised it's taken them so long, to be honest.

Nowhere Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UQK-UcRezE&feature=youtu.be

This preview of the restored Strawberry Fields is jaw droppingly beautiful. Wow![nb]Make sure you play it in 1080p[/nb]

Even speaking as a Beatles in Mono purist I can't fucking wait to hear all of those surround sound mixes as well. They sound fantastic.

SteveDave

DukeDeMondo

I hope I'm not gonna be priced out that Big Beatle Bastard Box Meal with the book an' stuff in. I'm far more interested in that second disc than I am in the first, but I don't wanna fork out six kidneys and three fingers off my left foot to see it.

The Magical Mystery Tour DVD or Blu or whatever was a similar sort of release, I suppose, and it isn't that expensive, but the fact that they're also releasing a pauper's version with just one disc and the original album in suggests that anyone who wants to hear Macca ballooning on over a slightly different Strawberry Fields video is gonna get stung right in the coin hole.

Why no normal 2 disc DVD like any normal person would do, Beatles? Why run off with all the special features under your arm like a wee shit until we come chasin after you with fivers and tenners all directions?

Chances are it'll all be fine, but as a Bob Dylan fan, I've grown accustomed to being expected to pay 60 quid for a single extra disc. Stick it up your hoop, Dylan, I will not be givin you 80 quid for 3 CDs you daft old cunt. 

Replies From View

What's a box meal?  Don't be eating boxes my friend.  Cardboard.

Nowhere Man

I think the restoration job looks pretty dynamite. I don't think we'd have had HD restored videos with glorious surround sound remixes if this had come out 10 years ago. Hope the price goes down a bit!

Replies From View

Quote from: Nowhere Man on September 15, 2015, 10:28:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UQK-UcRezE&feature=youtu.be

This preview of the restored Strawberry Fields is jaw droppingly beautiful. Wow![nb]Make sure you play it in 1080p[/nb]

Even speaking as a Beatles in Mono purist I can't fucking wait to hear all of those surround sound mixes as well. They sound fantastic.

"SURROUND" SOUND?

TWO EARS MATE.  "STEREO".

Replies From View

Quote from: Serge on September 15, 2015, 05:23:32 PM
Woo-hoo! Surprised it's taken them so long, to be honest.

Well if they'd released them in the same week as the 2009 remasters it could have undermined that fake rejuvenation project.  They're leaving gaps for memories to drift and stuff.  Makes more money sir.

These won't be definitive, by the way.  There'll be a Blade Runner-esque "final cut" in another six years and then an "post-mortem cut" once McCartney goes corpse.  And then a "drummer's cut" or something once Ringo fucks the grindstone.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 16, 2015, 06:33:42 PM
I hope I'm not gonna be priced out that Big Beatle Bastard Box Meal with the book an' stuff in. I'm far more interested in that second disc than I am in the first, but I don't wanna fork out six kidneys and three fingers off my left foot to see it.

The Amazon links are a bit confused,  but the Deluxe Blu is £40 on the official site.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Replies From View on September 16, 2015, 06:39:17 PM
"SURROUND" SOUND?

TWO EARS MATE.  "STEREO".

I didn't say the trailer had surround sound! mate.

Uncle TechTip

If you've any sense you'll hold out for the inevitable 4K remasters with all-new never-before-seen footage in 2018 marking the 55th anniversary

Nowhere Man

I'm waiting for the Paul, Ringo, Julian, Sean, Dhani, James, Zak and Gummo world tour in 2020.

massive bereavement

Even after this has come out, there will still be cunts out there who will tell you that "Bohemian Rhapsody" was the first pop video ever made.

Serge

Quote from: Replies From View on September 16, 2015, 06:44:37 PMMakes more money sir.

Oh, I know that, having worked at a record shop and seen the remasters on CD, the mono remasters on CD, the remasters on vinyl, the mono remasters on vinyl, the American versions of the albums reissued on CD and the Japanese versions of the albums reissued on CD at regular intervals. I suppose the next one will be remasters of the Anthology albums. And then 'Love' remastered. And in mono.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Serge on September 16, 2015, 11:32:06 PM
Oh, I know that, having worked at a record shop and seen the remasters on CD, the mono remasters on CD, the remasters on vinyl, the mono remasters on vinyl, the American versions of the albums reissued on CD and the Japanese versions of the albums reissued on CD at regular intervals. I suppose the next one will be remasters of the Anthology albums. And then 'Love' remastered. And in mono.

Then this cup in Ultra HD with a hardback book about the sorts of drinks the Beatles drank out of cups now and again.

"I remember John came up to me and he said, Dad, he said  - he always called me Dad - I'm goin to pour this blackcurrant into the cider. I said John, you're mad. John being John he did it anyway. But of course he was absolutely right."

Serge

With remastered tea-bags.

In mono.