Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:20:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garam

Updating this thread cause I enjoy it when it says 'last updated Yesterday' (dun dun dun dun)

I watched The Hours and the Times a couple of days ago, and thought it quite excellent, easily the best fictional account of The Beatles i've seen. All the others i turned off midway, despite the couple of cheap laughs that were to be had at the awful impersonations. Highly recommended, even if you're not fussed about Lennon and/or the band.

Also watched a few Macca clips and have begun to respect him quite a bit more. He's still my least favourite of the 3 main songwriters, but he seems the least pompous of the three too. Also got to love him for this clip from when he got busted for weed;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RABMeIg14ds

Respect for not hanging his head in his hands and bullshitting out a fake apology. That piss-take of the BBC guy's RP accent is pretty funny too.

Paul - a good lad, even if at least 50% of his output makes me puke.

the science eel

Have you seen him in that Ronnie Wood show? He came across very well. Ronnie - not so much...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st3c8UTw-6Q

grassbath

Quote from: Garam on April 24, 2016, 10:30:23 AM
Also watched a few Macca clips and have begun to respect him quite a bit more. He's still my least favourite of the 3 main songwriters, but he seems the least pompous of the three too. Also got to love him for this clip from when he got busted for weed;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RABMeIg14ds

Respect for not hanging his head in his hands and bullshitting out a fake apology. That piss-take of the BBC guy's RP accent is pretty funny too.

I've always loved this similar moment from over a decade earlier, where he's clearly prepared for the interview with a healthy dose of the matter at hand - not to mention the excuse is so ridiculous he and Linda can barely hold it together. "Five of 'em came up illegal."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lvg3Bz4s-U

Glebe

grassbath

I doubt it'll contain much that fans don't already know information-wise, but I think it'll be a real thrill to see Beatlemania in colour and on the big screen. And going by the trailer, there's definitely some new footage in there.

garbed_attic

Been playing Beatles Rock Band recently.

CGI Ringo's face keep distracting me.

Really I should probably just focus on playing my real guitar (skill level 2.4: can play 'Day in the Life', still stumbles over 'Blackbird')

Sorry Madhair, but the title of this thread annoys me every time I see it.

So the most celebrated band in UK history are (fucking) good? Fascinating.

You iconoclast you.

I prefer the early stuff, the pretension of the later stuff grates on me...like, I know they were off their tits...but still.

daf

Where is general Beatles thread? *

Anyway . . . Eat mince Jasper Carrott! :
What makes Ringo a Great Drummer - Tribute by Sina

- - - - - - - - -
* (2½ years ago and 34 pages down!)

Quote from: grassbath on April 24, 2016, 10:45:27 AM
I've always loved this similar moment from over a decade earlier, where he's clearly prepared for the interview with a healthy dose of the matter at hand - not to mention the excuse is so ridiculous he and Linda can barely hold it together. "Five of 'em came up illegal."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lvg3Bz4s-U

What has Macca done to his eyebrows in that clip?

studpuppet

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 31, 2019, 08:08:53 PM
What has Macca done to his eyebrows in that clip?

Presaging Dave Clark by a few years...

Custard

First time I've listened to Help (the album) in a few years this afternoon, and it's absolutely incredible isn't it? There's not a single duffer on it. Even The Ringo One, Act Naturally, fits perfectly

It's a really nice flowing, beautifully sequenced record. The closing one-two punch of Yesterday into Dizzy Miss Lizzy is one of the absolute high points of their entire output, or well, anyone's

The Beatles were well flipping darn good

El Unicornio, mang

It is good, but my Mum played it at top volume pretty much every day for about six months once so I got kind of sick of it.

I might have a slight preference for the US version, also.

SteveDave

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 11, 2020, 01:44:16 PM
First time I've listened to Help (the album) in a few years this afternoon, and it's absolutely incredible isn't it? There's not a single duffer on it. Even The Ringo One, Act Naturally, fits perfectly

It's a really nice flowing, beautifully sequenced record. The closing one-two punch of Yesterday into Dizzy Miss Lizzy is one of the absolute high points of their entire output, or well, anyone's

The Beatles were well flipping darn good

Are you high? That's the worst one! Side one has 4 great songs but the second side has dogs from start to finish.

Custard

shagatha crustie

Tell Me What You See and I've Just Seen a Face are not 'dogs.'

You Like Me Too Much, on the other hand...

wosl

Quote from: shagatha crustie on November 11, 2020, 02:59:42 PM

Poor old George.  Even the presence of the fine I Need You can't completely neutralise the odour.

Hand Solo

Quote from: shagatha crustie on November 11, 2020, 02:59:42 PM

The Coral seemed to have liked You Like Me Too Much too much.

the science eel

'You Like Me Too Much' is the worst Beatles' song of all. I'm always puzzled when people single out 'Maxwell's' when that dreadful ditty exists.

'I Need You' isn't a great deal better, really.

shagatha crustie

'I Need You' has a pleasing melancholy. 'You Like Me Too Much' is just... a mess. Imagine submitting that in a band with the same songwriters that just turned out 'Yesterday' and 'Ticket to Ride.'

And it's nice when you believe me,

if you

leave meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeI will blah de blah

spaghetamine

The combination of tape loop noises throughout but particularly towards the end of Tomorrow Never Knows, especially that brief snippet of jolly ragtime piano, gets me real hard

lankyguy95

You Like Me Too Much is the drunk who's having too good a time to realise he's a shambles.

Custard

George is instantly forgiven for Old Brown Shoe, which just invaded my lugholes. That bassline! Is that Macca?

The Beatles were hip n happening and good at playing their instruments to make a pleasant noise and no mistake!

DrGreggles

The non-soundtrack songs on Help were mostly written and recorded quickly, in order to rush release the album alongside the film, so it's amazing that it's as good as it is.
Only the inclusion of Dizzy Miss Lizzy (albeit a cracking version) can really be classed as filler.

daf

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 11, 2020, 11:39:06 PM
George is instantly forgiven for Old Brown Shoe, which just invaded my lugholes. That bassline! Is that Macca?

Yes - that's Paul.

There's some that claim that he also played the drums - as Ringo was off filming The Magic Christian at the time - but he probably just stood in during rehersals, with Ringo playing on the final recording.

Custard

Ah cool, thanks for confirming. It's an amazing bassline

So while Ringo was off being The Magic Christian, good ol' Macca was where he should be, being, wait for it, The Good Vegetarian!

Custard

Is there anything more jarring and darkly funny than Yer Blues coming in after the joyfulness of Birthday, on The White Album? Fantastic sequencing, whoever decided on that

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 12, 2020, 05:22:39 PM
Is there anything more jarring and darkly funny than Yer Blues coming in after the joyfulness of Birthday, on The White Album? Fantastic sequencing, whoever decided on that

The White Album is great for that - definitely a conscious decision.

Blackbird to Piggies
Why Don't We... to I Will
Mother Nature's Son to Everybody's Got Something...
Helter Skelter to Long, Long, Long

SteveDave

I'm currently reading "The Unknown Paul McCartney" that goes into his avant garde influences and work.

He (apparently) contacted Delia Derbyshire to do the backing for "Yesterday" before George Martin convinced him he could do some non-Mantovani strings for it.

shagatha crustie

You know what fucking cooks?

Savoy Truffle.

Custard

I like that one, but it's a bit annoying that you have to have all your teeth pulled out after