Author Topic: The Beatles are fucking good.  (Read 58417 times)

the science eel

• married to Su Pollard for 8 years
    • PRELUDIN - where goons don't go
Re: The Beatles are fucking good.
« Reply #1140 on: November 13, 2020, 08:30:26 PM »
You know what fucking cooks?

Savoy Truffle.

Yes! Those compressed horns!

Love the instrumental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5IH-Jrl1X8

« Reply #1141 on: November 13, 2020, 11:48:35 PM »
I'm currently reading "The Unknown Paul McCartney" that goes into his avant garde influences and work.

He (apparently) contacted Delia Derbyshire to do the backing for "Yesterday" before George Martin convinced him he could do some non-Mantovani strings for it.

The strings had already been recorded but he wanted Delia to augment the backing further.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/mar/22/paul-mccartney-dr-who-yesterday

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #1142 on: November 18, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
What has Macca done to his eyebrows in that clip?

Typewriter ribbon (says Mark Gatiss in RHLSTP)

« Reply #1143 on: November 18, 2020, 10:39:17 PM »
"Typewriter ribbon eyebrows
You can do it right now PLEEEASE"

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
« Reply #1144 on: November 18, 2020, 10:46:41 PM »
Yes! Those compressed horns!

And close-mic'ed - because George was recording at a different studio (Olympic?) to Abbey Road where strict rules about mic placement were enforced (with some justification, as you can easily blow the diaphragms with very loud noises, especially on a ribbon mic), they were able to whack the mics right up to the bells of the horns and get that harsh sound.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #1145 on: November 18, 2020, 11:20:58 PM »
I'm currently reading "The Unknown Paul McCartney" that goes into his avant garde influences and work.

He (apparently) contacted Delia Derbyshire to do the backing for "Yesterday" before George Martin convinced him he could do some non-Mantovani strings for it.

Bloody hell.  We were close to having Delia Derbyshire on Beatles albums?  And it never happened?

She could have ended up saying no, I suppose.  She probably wouldn’t have wanted involvement in something so high profile.

I’ll tell myself that to stop myself thinking it was close to happening.

« Reply #1146 on: November 19, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but concerning Mark Lewisohm's "Tune In", is it worth dropping the extra £80 on getting the Extended Special Edition? It claims "thousands of extra words" and, as a Beatles devotee for the last 20-odd years, I'd be willing to spend the extra cash if it's actually worthwhile.  Has anyone enough knowledge of both versions to explain what the extra content is?

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1147 on: November 19, 2020, 09:11:26 AM »
Presaging Dave Clark by a few years...

« Reply #1148 on: November 19, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but concerning Mark Lewisohm's "Tune In", is it worth dropping the extra £80 on getting the Extended Special Edition? It claims "thousands of extra words" and, as a Beatles devotee for the last 20-odd years, I'd be willing to spend the extra cash if it's actually worthwhile.  Has anyone enough knowledge of both versions to explain what the extra content is?

I think the consensus is that it's maybe worth it if you're a real Beatles fanatic - the extra content is deeper background info on most of the stories and some more photos. It's basically his full draft before the editor got at it to reduce it to a more manageable single volume.

If you want the info but aren't interested in having it on your shelf, then you could spring for the Extended Edition eBook or 'liberate' it from Library Genesis.

« Reply #1149 on: November 19, 2020, 01:18:06 PM »

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1150 on: November 19, 2020, 01:30:02 PM »
This got put up on YouTube last week

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Nd9nvQrO8

And this was put up in August

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yqd_9JBr-0&feature=youtu.be
Reminds me that I've never really found Sellars' Hard Day's Night as Richard III very funny.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #1151 on: November 19, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »
Reminds me that I've never really found Sellars' Hard Day's Night as Richard III very funny.

It makes me laugh every single time.

« Reply #1152 on: November 20, 2020, 12:35:01 AM »
I think the consensus is that it's maybe worth it if you're a real Beatles fanatic - the extra content is deeper background info on most of the stories and some more photos. It's basically his full draft before the editor got at it to reduce it to a more manageable single volume.

If you want the info but aren't interested in having it on your shelf, then you could spring for the Extended Edition eBook or 'liberate' it from Library Genesis.

Great, thanks a lot. Something to think about.

Menu

• Don't be a fool, Stephanie.
« Reply #1153 on: November 20, 2020, 12:43:40 AM »
This got put up on YouTube last week

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Nd9nvQrO8

And this was put up in August

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yqd_9JBr-0&feature=youtu.be

Wow, thanks for these. The first one is like a parody of these types of 60s shows. Great stuff.

« Reply #1154 on: November 21, 2020, 12:02:45 AM »
If you experienced the barren wasteland of 50's  Brit pop before the Beatles,like me, you would forgive them any rare turkey.I wouldn't mind if I never hear Obladi Oblada again though.

« Reply #1156 on: December 21, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »
That is some unbelievable stuff right there.

The brief has obviously been "Get as many shots as you can of them all smiling and having a good time" but it works.

« Reply #1157 on: December 21, 2020, 06:18:13 PM »
All about Ringo's green suit.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #1158 on: December 21, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »
That is some unbelievable stuff right there.

The brief has obviously been "Get as many shots as you can of them all smiling and having a good time" but it works.

This film will inevitably be criticised for being a piece of brand-friendly PR revisionism, but in 1969 they were still clearly capable of enjoying each other's company. You don't just suddenly fall out with your best mates, no matter how much they may annoy you at times. They drifted apart, but the chemistry was still there.

I hope that's Jackson's narrative, though, and not, "See? They all still loved each other unconditionally! Nothing like what you've been led to believe!" It was obviously more complicated than that.

A lovely montage, though. It made me smile.

Glebe

• Are you so blind that you cannot see?
« Reply #1159 on: December 21, 2020, 07:09:41 PM »
Very much looking forward to this.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #1160 on: December 21, 2020, 07:17:26 PM »
This looks great. Yas man

Menu

« Reply #1161 on: December 22, 2020, 02:35:41 AM »
That's genuinely not a bad advert for heroin.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1162 on: December 22, 2020, 12:51:03 PM »
Nearly cried watching that. I cannot wait!

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1163 on: December 22, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
Had to dig out my Beatles bootleg records. (Not my Bootleg Beatles records)

daf

• Napoleon's Penis is in private hands
« Reply #1164 on: December 22, 2020, 01:38:59 PM »
Had to dig out my Beatles bootleg records. (Not my Bootleg Beatles records)

Not to mention your Beatleg Bootle records!

(Pretty sure that's David Dickinson giving it some wonky-leg action ^)

« Reply #1165 on: December 22, 2020, 03:25:26 PM »
Looks like a good documentary, although by far my least favourite Beatles period, music-wise.

Menu

« Reply #1166 on: December 24, 2020, 02:49:06 AM »
Yes. Lennon brought less to the table than fucking Ringo for this album. Eg the only reason George didn't get All Things Must Pass on it must have been jealousy from Lennon. He's quite derisive about George in some of the recordings as well I seem to remember. Must have been worried he was being overtaken.

« Reply #1167 on: December 24, 2020, 03:02:52 AM »
Yes. Lennon brought less to the table than fucking Ringo for this album. Eg the only reason George didn't get All Things Must Pass on it must have been jealousy from Lennon. He's quite derisive about George in some of the recordings as well I seem to remember. Must have been worried he was being overtaken.

There's that recording of George playing I Me Mine for the first time, and Lennon saying something like "Move along son", and generally being a dismissive, smack addled tosser.

I mean...I don't personally think I Me Mine is all that, but what a cunty thing to say to your mate, never mind a bandmember.

Menu

« Reply #1168 on: December 24, 2020, 03:31:33 AM »
There's that recording of George playing I Me Mine for the first time, and Lennon saying something like "Move along son", and generally being a dismissive, smack addled tosser.

I mean...I don't personally think I Me Mine is all that, but what a cunty thing to say to your mate, never mind a bandmember.

And I think George left the band as much because of Lennon's behaviour then as Paul's. John also patronisingly offers advice to him about songwriting and then tells Macca the next day that George doesn't 'get it' like he and Paul do.

the science eel

• married to Su Pollard for 8 years
    • PRELUDIN - where goons don't go
« Reply #1169 on: December 24, 2020, 11:20:23 AM »

I Me Mine is rubbish tho to be fair - one of the four or five really poor Beatles' songs.

George had about eight other songs (eventually on ATMP) that beat it.

Tags: krautrock nazis hijack thread for own purposes hey Mick, you're fucking good Except all of John's ones. I'd have to say 'The Best of the Beatles' Kiddy sing-alongs for tramps Like scratching a blackboard with a Prince Albert Shit for cunts Fucking good shit for fucking good cunts how can they be good when they took drugs I preferred Candy Flip The Rupert cartoon with the green French children The four vultures from The Jungle Book with worse tunes Right up there with The Lotus Eaters and Gary and Eddie Thousands of fainting schoolgirls can't be wrong shit four cunts I've Got A Fever No  The Beatles The who? No, The Beatles. For fifty years it's nothing but Beatles this and Beatles that The Fast Food Rockers are flipping burgers full time now It was the trousers biggytitbo thread The lazy tourist's guide to the history of popular music. but your guide would be fairly shit without them Radiohead They're only half as good these days McCartney's got a mouth like a cat's ringpiece and he looks like Ken Dodd, if his hair gets messy Pierro Scaruffi closes thread in disgust Isn't this meant for children? Jazz Queen says they're not as good as Miles Davis. Happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy j happy happy joy joy joy tens of milkshakes for Pete Best McInane and a McTwee to go bald fuckless cunt whines on about a subject he doesnt understand Music Death I like 'em Lionising the undeserving music for people who don't like music they're alright...nothing to stunt your musical growth over.