Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:15:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: SteveDave on November 13, 2020, 08:55:32 AM
I'm currently reading "The Unknown Paul McCartney" that goes into his avant garde influences and work.

He (apparently) contacted Delia Derbyshire to do the backing for "Yesterday" before George Martin convinced him he could do some non-Mantovani strings for it.

The strings had already been recorded but he wanted Delia to augment the backing further.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/mar/22/paul-mccartney-dr-who-yesterday

Replies From View

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 31, 2019, 08:08:53 PM
What has Macca done to his eyebrows in that clip?

Typewriter ribbon (says Mark Gatiss in RHLSTP)

DrGreggles

"Typewriter ribbon eyebrows
You can do it right now PLEEEASE"

Rizla

Quote from: the science eel on November 13, 2020, 08:30:26 PM
Yes! Those compressed horns!

And close-mic'ed - because George was recording at a different studio (Olympic?) to Abbey Road where strict rules about mic placement were enforced (with some justification, as you can easily blow the diaphragms with very loud noises, especially on a ribbon mic), they were able to whack the mics right up to the bells of the horns and get that harsh sound.

Replies From View

Quote from: SteveDave on November 13, 2020, 08:55:32 AM
I'm currently reading "The Unknown Paul McCartney" that goes into his avant garde influences and work.

He (apparently) contacted Delia Derbyshire to do the backing for "Yesterday" before George Martin convinced him he could do some non-Mantovani strings for it.

Bloody hell.  We were close to having Delia Derbyshire on Beatles albums?  And it never happened?

She could have ended up saying no, I suppose.  She probably wouldn't have wanted involvement in something so high profile.

I'll tell myself that to stop myself thinking it was close to happening.

AnOrdinaryBoy

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but concerning Mark Lewisohm's "Tune In", is it worth dropping the extra £80 on getting the Extended Special Edition? It claims "thousands of extra words" and, as a Beatles devotee for the last 20-odd years, I'd be willing to spend the extra cash if it's actually worthwhile.  Has anyone enough knowledge of both versions to explain what the extra content is?

kalowski

studpuppet

Quote from: AnOrdinaryBoy on November 19, 2020, 07:59:28 AM
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but concerning Mark Lewisohm's "Tune In", is it worth dropping the extra £80 on getting the Extended Special Edition? It claims "thousands of extra words" and, as a Beatles devotee for the last 20-odd years, I'd be willing to spend the extra cash if it's actually worthwhile.  Has anyone enough knowledge of both versions to explain what the extra content is?

I think the consensus is that it's maybe worth it if you're a real Beatles fanatic - the extra content is deeper background info on most of the stories and some more photos. It's basically his full draft before the editor got at it to reduce it to a more manageable single volume.

If you want the info but aren't interested in having it on your shelf, then you could spring for the Extended Edition eBook or 'liberate' it from Library Genesis.

kalowski

Quote from: SteveDave on November 19, 2020, 01:18:06 PM
This got put up on YouTube last week

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Nd9nvQrO8

And this was put up in August

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yqd_9JBr-0&feature=youtu.be
Reminds me that I've never really found Sellars' Hard Day's Night as Richard III very funny.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: kalowski on November 19, 2020, 01:30:02 PM
Reminds me that I've never really found Sellars' Hard Day's Night as Richard III very funny.

It makes me laugh every single time.

AnOrdinaryBoy

Quote from: studpuppet on November 19, 2020, 10:22:18 AM
I think the consensus is that it's maybe worth it if you're a real Beatles fanatic - the extra content is deeper background info on most of the stories and some more photos. It's basically his full draft before the editor got at it to reduce it to a more manageable single volume.

If you want the info but aren't interested in having it on your shelf, then you could spring for the Extended Edition eBook or 'liberate' it from Library Genesis.

Great, thanks a lot. Something to think about.

Menu

Quote from: SteveDave on November 19, 2020, 01:18:06 PM
This got put up on YouTube last week

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Nd9nvQrO8

And this was put up in August

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yqd_9JBr-0&feature=youtu.be

Wow, thanks for these. The first one is like a parody of these types of 60s shows. Great stuff.

Psmith

If you experienced the barren wasteland of 50's  Brit pop before the Beatles,like me, you would forgive them any rare turkey.I wouldn't mind if I never hear Obladi Oblada again though.

SteveDave

That is some unbelievable stuff right there.

The brief has obviously been "Get as many shots as you can of them all smiling and having a good time" but it works.

DrGreggles

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on December 21, 2020, 09:00:58 AM
That is some unbelievable stuff right there.

The brief has obviously been "Get as many shots as you can of them all smiling and having a good time" but it works.

This film will inevitably be criticised for being a piece of brand-friendly PR revisionism, but in 1969 they were still clearly capable of enjoying each other's company. You don't just suddenly fall out with your best mates, no matter how much they may annoy you at times. They drifted apart, but the chemistry was still there.

I hope that's Jackson's narrative, though, and not, "See? They all still loved each other unconditionally! Nothing like what you've been led to believe!" It was obviously more complicated than that.

A lovely montage, though. It made me smile.

Glebe

Very much looking forward to this.

Custard

Menu

That's genuinely not a bad advert for heroin.

kalowski

Nearly cried watching that. I cannot wait!

kalowski

Had to dig out my Beatles bootleg records. (Not my Bootleg Beatles records)

daf

Quote from: kalowski on December 22, 2020, 01:00:57 PM
Had to dig out my Beatles bootleg records. (Not my Bootleg Beatles records)

Not to mention your Beatleg Bootle records!

(Pretty sure that's David Dickinson giving it some wonky-leg action ^)

El Unicornio, mang

Looks like a good documentary, although by far my least favourite Beatles period, music-wise.

Menu

Yes. Lennon brought less to the table than fucking Ringo for this album. Eg the only reason George didn't get All Things Must Pass on it must have been jealousy from Lennon. He's quite derisive about George in some of the recordings as well I seem to remember. Must have been worried he was being overtaken.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Menu on December 24, 2020, 02:49:06 AM
Yes. Lennon brought less to the table than fucking Ringo for this album. Eg the only reason George didn't get All Things Must Pass on it must have been jealousy from Lennon. He's quite derisive about George in some of the recordings as well I seem to remember. Must have been worried he was being overtaken.

There's that recording of George playing I Me Mine for the first time, and Lennon saying something like "Move along son", and generally being a dismissive, smack addled tosser.

I mean...I don't personally think I Me Mine is all that, but what a cunty thing to say to your mate, never mind a bandmember.

Menu

Quote from: BJBMK2 on December 24, 2020, 03:02:52 AM
There's that recording of George playing I Me Mine for the first time, and Lennon saying something like "Move along son", and generally being a dismissive, smack addled tosser.

I mean...I don't personally think I Me Mine is all that, but what a cunty thing to say to your mate, never mind a bandmember.

And I think George left the band as much because of Lennon's behaviour then as Paul's. John also patronisingly offers advice to him about songwriting and then tells Macca the next day that George doesn't 'get it' like he and Paul do.

the science eel

Quote from: BJBMK2 on December 24, 2020, 03:02:52 AM

I Me Mine is rubbish tho to be fair - one of the four or five really poor Beatles' songs.

George had about eight other songs (eventually on ATMP) that beat it.