Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:24:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

Quote from: wosl on March 28, 2021, 11:38:44 PM
Ta for this.  So this apparently clears up once and for all that it's Paul who does the dreamy aaahhh bit following "..somebody spoke and I went into a dream", not John.

Still sounds like John to me

Edit: turn me on, new page

Bad Ambassador

Peter Jackson's The Beatles: Get Back has apparently been retooled from a feature-length production for theatrical release to a six-hour, three-part miniseries going straight to Disney Plus in November.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/the-beatles-get-back-peter-jackson-disney-1234999072/

Rich Uncle Skeleton

daf

To be followed by a Pete Best prequel with Martin whatsit from The Office!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 17, 2021, 04:18:22 PM
Peter Jackson's The Beatles: Get Back has apparently been retooled from a feature-length production for theatrical release to a six-hour, three-part miniseries going straight to Disney Plus in November.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/the-beatles-get-back-peter-jackson-disney-1234999072/

Hooray! More Beatles!

markburgle

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. 6 hours. I mean I'm obviously gonna watch it but 6 hours? It's just gonna be the All Things Must Pass of documentaries isn't it? First two episodes will have enough good stuff for one and then the third will just be one long jam

Retinend

This is amazing news. There will be so much to digest.

the science eel

Hang on a minute - this was supposed to be a cinema release, the thing was much heralded last year but because of the pandemic they said it'd be delayed by 12 months.

I'm surprised there's not a bit of a hoo-hah about this. Beatles fans are going to sit at home and watch this footage via Disney fucking Plus?!?

Retinend

Beatles fans prefer 6 hours to 2 hours. More stuff to pore over. It's a win.

That's right. I would stab a baby to watch this.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on June 17, 2021, 10:05:08 PM
That's right. I would stab a baby to watch this.
Would you stab five babies?

SteveDave

Quote from: the science eel on June 17, 2021, 09:22:28 PM
I'm surprised there's not a bit of a hoo-hah about this. Beatles fans are going to sit at home and watch this footage via Disney fucking Plus?!?

I presume that the Steve Hoffman forum is full of men with jean jackets going mental over this. "THE SOUND QUALITY WILL NOT BE AS OPTIMISED AS IT SHOULD BE! DISNEY! 4K! I WANT IT NOW! IN A CINEMA!"

the science eel

Ah, you know, I was just looking forward to seeing it in a cinema. I'll devour any footage of the Beatles but this is just a wee bit disappointing. That's all.

turnstyle

The thing that amazed me most about this was yer man Jackson saying that they had access to 52 hours of unseen footage. I would have assumed that this had all been mined to death already, leaving a carcass of an archive that's basically hours of the gang scratching their arses between takes or performing a really, really, average version of Ob Li Da.

However, the implication is that there is some hot shit in there, presumably about 6 hours worth.

daf

And hopefully there'll be even more when they release it on bluray!

shagatha crustie

I just think it's mad that they're arguably the most recorded, photographed and pored-over band in the world, and that we thought the world had seen everything there was to see. Then 50 years later, there's THIS. Shitloads of it, in glorious HD. It seems unreal almost.

turnstyle

Quote from: shagatha crustie on June 18, 2021, 11:21:18 AM
I just think it's mad that they're arguably the most recorded, photographed and pored-over band in the world, and that we thought the world had seen everything there was to see. Then 50 years later, there's THIS. Shitloads of it, in glorious HD. It seems unreal almost.

My appetite won't be sated until we get the full footage of Ringo's endoscopy (in 4K with directors commentary).

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on June 18, 2021, 11:08:30 AM
And hopefully there'll be even more when they release it on bluray!

Special feature: Serafinowicz commentary track as the Fabs

Retinend

Also happy birthday, Paul! 79 years old today.

DrGreggles

studpuppet

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: turnstyle on June 18, 2021, 10:57:42 AM
The thing that amazed me most about this was yer man Jackson saying that they had access to 52 hours of unseen footage. I would have assumed that this had all been mined to death already, leaving a carcass of an archive that's basically hours of the gang scratching their arses between takes or performing a really, really, average version of Ob Li Da.

However, the implication is that there is some hot shit in there, presumably about 6 hours worth.

I've listened to 98 hours of audio from those sessions and while there are a few parts where they sit around chatting, the vast majority of it is music.  It's hardly been mined at all, apart from what you see in the Let It Be film and hear on the album and a few clips on Anthology.

My favourite part is the songs Rambling Woman, I Threw It All Away, Moma You've Been On My Mind, Domino, Tennessee, House Of The Rising Sun, Commonwealth Song, Get Off/Can You Dig It so if they don't include a good portion of those songs I won't be pleased. (Can't remember if they all appear in that order chronologically but they're in that order on a really old bootleg which is my favourite from those sessions.)

kalowski

I am really looking forward to this. 6 hours of Beatles clips from 1969 is pretty much a dream come true.

SteveDave

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 20, 2021, 12:55:50 AM
I've listened to 98 hours of audio from those sessions and while there are a few parts where they sit around chatting, the vast majority of it is music.  It's hardly been mined at all, apart from what you see in the Let It Be film and hear on the album and a few clips on Anthology.

My favourite part is the songs Rambling Woman, I Threw It All Away, Moma You've Been On My Mind, Domino, Tennessee, House Of The Rising Sun, Commonwealth Song, Get Off/Can You Dig It so if they don't include a good portion of those songs I won't be pleased. (Can't remember if they all appear in that order chronologically but they're in that order on a really old bootleg which is my favourite from those sessions.)

I do wonder if they'll include this or skirt around it entirely. I remember being astonished when I heard it for the first time.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on June 21, 2021, 11:40:11 AM
I do wonder if they'll include this or skirt around it entirely. I remember being astonished when I heard it for the first time.

There's nothing particularly contentious about it, is there? It's just a garbled off-the-cuff attack against Enoch Clapton and his racist rhetoric. A blunt, barely formed piece of satire, but obviously coming from A Good Place.

mrpupkin

I'm worried this series will destroy the mythos of beatles once and for all, showing us john lennon watching horse racing on telly and going 'COME ON YOU PRATT' while gerog harrison goes to the toilet and you can hear all the plops, and paul has a big spot under his nose and says something completely stupid about cilla black. Disappointing.

Retinend

It's a pity we won't get to see George Martin in this film, since Let It Be was the only Beatles album he didn't produce. The relationship between him and the band members is something I have a lot of questions about. Perhaps he will be discussed, however?

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 21, 2021, 12:17:51 PM
There's nothing particularly contentious about it, is there? It's just a garbled off-the-cuff attack against Enoch Clapton and his racist rhetoric. A blunt, barely formed piece of satire, but obviously coming from A Good Place.

The version I heard first started "Don't dig no Pakistanis, taking all the white mens jobs" Nothing like that's mentioned in this which seems to be the lyrics on all of these lyric sites http://www.songlyrics.com/the-beatles/commonwealth-mccartney-lyrics/

Hmmm...I think people could get hold of the wrong end of the stick and start beating about the bush with it.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: SteveDave on June 21, 2021, 02:13:38 PM
The version I heard first started "Don't dig no Pakistanis, taking all the white mens jobs"

Different song.  That was a line from an early version of 'Get Back', the lyrics were riffing on stories on the front pages of that mornings newspapers, I believe.  Another bit of clumsy satire rather than their personal opinions.

Johnboy

Ah, this is going to be great.

I have Disney + but I'm going to have to fork out a separate fee if I want to watch this, aren't I?
Will it be on Disney + with no extra charge at a later date I wonder, I mean I can wait I have hundreds of things to watch