Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,493
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:39:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I can't see anything about it being Premier Access so it should be free as part of your Disney+ sub

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Johnboy on June 21, 2021, 02:57:35 PM
Ah, this is going to be great.

I have Disney + but I'm going to have to fork out a separate fee if I want to watch this, aren't I?
Will it be on Disney + with no extra charge at a later date I wonder, I mean I can wait I have hundreds of things to watch

If there is an additional fee, it'll only be temporary. Cruella is currently under Premier Access, with a note on the landing page that it'll be available to all subscribers from 27 August.

SteveDave

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 21, 2021, 02:27:36 PM
Different song.  That was a line from an early version of 'Get Back', the lyrics were riffing on stories on the front pages of that mornings newspapers, I believe.  Another bit of clumsy satire rather than their personal opinions.

I thought it was all one big mess of a song that became "Get Back"?

Quote from: Johnboy on June 21, 2021, 02:57:35 PM
Ah, this is going to be great.

I have Disney + but I'm going to have to fork out a separate fee if I want to watch this, aren't I?
Will it be on Disney + with no extra charge at a later date I wonder, I mean I can wait I have hundreds of things to watch

If it does go on Premier Access, it'll be available for free on the high seas the same day. Just like "Cruella" was.

daf

QuoteThursday 9 January 1969 began with Paul McCartney working alone on a number of songs. Making their debuts on this day were 'Her Majesty' and 'Another Day'.

At this stage of the Twickenham rehearsals, 'Get Back' was a driving rock song with half-written lyrics about Theresa and Joe. At one point McCartney improvised some words which later led to accusations of racism after the tapes were bootlegged.

McCartney improvised various temporary lyrics leading to what has become known in Beatles' folklore as the "No Pakistanis" version. This version parodied the anti-immigrant views of tedious uptight blowhard Enoch Powell, a Conservative member of parliament whose racist speeches had recently gained much media attention. The lyrics addressed attitudes toward immigrants in the United States and the United Kingdom: "... don't need no Puerto Ricans living in the USA"; and "don't dig no Pakistanis taking all the people's jobs", though these lyrics were meant to be a parody and a criticism of those prejudiced against immigrants.

Paul : "When we were doing Let It Be, there were a couple of verses to 'Get Back' which were actually not racist at all – they were anti-racist. There were a lot of stories in the newspapers then about Pakistanis crowding out flats – you know, living 16 to a room or whatever. So in one of the verses of 'Get Back', which we were making up on the set of Let It Be, one of the outtakes has something about 'too many Pakistanis living in a council flat' – that's the line. Which to me was actually talking out against overcrowding for Pakistanis... If there was any group that was not racist, it was the Beatles. I mean, all our favourite people were always black. We were kind of the first people to open international eyes, in a way, to Motown."

A paranoid Lennon, however, later claimed that McCartney's words were directed towards Yoko Ono.

John : "I think there's some underlying thing about Yoko in there. You know, 'Get back to where you once belonged.' Every time he sang the line in the studio, he'd look at Yoko. Maybe he'll say I'm paranoid. You know, he can say, 'I'm a normal family man, those two are freaks.' That'll leave him a chance to say that one."

Another song, "Commonwealth", was a 1950s-style rock 'n' roll performance with McCartney singing in an Elvis style. This, too, touched upon the themes of immigration and racism expressed earlier in the day, with lyrics including : "You'd better get back to your Commonwealth homes".

Echo Valley 2-6809

Apparently Tony Bramwell has said there's a 5-disc Let It Be coming out October 15th. I can't see the post, but I'm not on Facebook.

Rumoured to include a new LIB remix by Giles Martin, and the abandoned Glyn Johns project.

SteveDave

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on August 13, 2021, 01:18:34 AM
Apparently Tony Bramwell has said there's a 5-disc Let It Be coming out October 15th. I can't see the post, but I'm not on Facebook.

Rumoured to include a new LIB remix by Giles Martin, and the abandoned Glyn Johns project.

This is what it said

Is that big enough?

Pauline Walnuts

Retinend

I can't imagine hating music from 20 years ago with such a passion. Maybe this is the reflexive Beatlemaniac in me, but to me it's a covert compliment to the Beatles, that they were relevant enough to attack in such excessive language so long after breaking up.

And it's funny to me how the phrase "Q-readers" is apparently to be muttered contemptuously under one's breath. I didn't grow up with "the" music press, so I have no idea what the differences between Q-readers and Melody Maker readers is supposed to be.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Retinend on August 15, 2021, 10:36:43 AM
I can't imagine hating music from 20 years ago with such a passion. Maybe this is the reflexive Beatlemaniac in me, but to me it's a covert compliment to the Beatles, that they were relevant enough to attack in such excessive language so long after breaking up.

And it's funny to me how the phrase "Q-readers" is apparently to be muttered contemptuously under one's breath. I didn't grow up with "the" music press, so I have no idea what the differences between Q-readers and Melody Maker readers is supposed to be.

Q readers are the dads of the Melody Maker ones.

Echo Valley 2-6809

That was actually a reader's letter from 13-year-old Blodwyn Pig.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 15, 2021, 10:45:53 AM
Q readers are the dads of the Melody Maker ones.

Yes, Q Reader was shorthand for 'Dad Rock' before that was prevalent. It referred to lovers of 'classic rock' from the 60s and 70s that were extensively featured in the pages of and covers of Q, yer Beatles, Stones, Mac, Zep and on and on and on....

gilbertharding

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 15, 2021, 05:32:32 PM
Yes, Q Reader was shorthand for 'Dad Rock' before that was prevalent. It referred to lovers of 'classic rock' from the 60s and 70s that were extensively featured in the pages of and covers of Q, yer Beatles, Stones, Mac, Zep and on and on and on....

More than that... worse than that. Q, at that time, covered the then current output of those artists as if it were relevant. On compact disc.

gilbertharding

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 15, 2021, 09:47:23 AM
Melody Maker from 1987:

That is a profoundly stupid take, no matter how overrated Sgt Pepper and/or the Beatles are.

Quote from: Retinend on August 15, 2021, 10:36:43 AM
I can't imagine hating music from 20 years ago with such a passion.

Possibly because (a lot of) music from 20 years ago is barely distinguishable from (a lot of) music of today.

Johnboy

I started that McCartney/Rick Rubin thing on Disney +

So far it's pretty good, plenty of stuff I hadn't heard before and some isolated tracks treats.

SpiderChrist

Let It Be boxset announced. More disappointing than the Abbey Road one, tbh.

kalowski

Quote from: SpiderChrist on August 27, 2021, 10:45:59 AM
Let It Be boxset announced. More disappointing than the Abbey Road one, tbh.
No sign of "Commonwealth".

SteveDave

I'm going to see Paul talk about his lyrics in November. Hoopla. I can't wait to finally find out how he wrote "Yesterday" and "Check My Machine"

Johnboy

my thoughts on 3 2 1 (which I liked and would recommend)

Check My Machine just sounds like someone checking their studio gear and not bothering to do a new vocal having decided it's going to be released.

That myth about the fabs not going to America unless they were number one and that was me Paul that sorted that out with Brian before hand, I mean ffs

Also couldn't Rick Rubin have gotten dressed for the occasion?

daf

Trailer for the three-part 'Get Back' series > > > here

QuoteToday, Disney+ released the trailer and key art for the upcoming three-part series "The Beatles: Get Back." The Disney+ original docuseries, directed by Peter Jackson, will be arriving on Disney+ just in time for the Thanksgiving holiday. Made entirely from never-before-seen, restored footage, it provides the most intimate and honest glimpse into the creative process and relationship between John, Paul, George, and Ringo ever filmed.  Be sure to check them both out, and don't forget to watch "The Beatles: Get Back" when it rolls out over three days, November 25, 26, and 27, 2021, exclusively on Disney+.

Directed by three-time Oscar®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson ("The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, "They Shall Not Grow Old"), "The Beatles: Get Back" takes audiences back in time to the band's January 1969 recording sessions, which became a pivotal moment in music history.

The docuseries showcases The Beatles' creative process as they attempt to write 14 new songs in preparation for their first live concert in over two years. Faced with a nearly impossible deadline, the strong bonds of friendship shared by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr are put to the test.

The docuseries is compiled from nearly 60 hours of unseen footage shot over 21 days, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg in 1969, and from more than 150 hours of unheard audio, most of which has been locked in a vault for over half a century. Jackson is the only person in 50 years to have been given access to this Beatles treasure trove, all of which has now been brilliantly restored.

What emerges is an unbelievably intimate portrait of The Beatles, showing how, with their backs against the wall, they could still rely on their friendship, good humor, and creative genius. While plans derail and relationships are put to the test, some of the world's most iconic songs are composed and performed.

The docuseries features – for the first time in its entirety – The Beatles' last live performance as a group, the unforgettable rooftop concert on London's Savile Row, as well as other songs and classic compositions featured on the band's final two albums, Abbey Road and Let It Be.
https://www.thebeatles.com/disney-debuts-trailer-and-key-art-beatles-get-back

gilbertharding

Just release Let It Be on DVD.

Three part series 'Streaming on Disney' FFS

daf

I expect that'll be one of the extras on the blu-ray of this series (as it isn't included in the 'Get Back' box set).

gilbertharding

I don't know why I'm so bothered: Let It Be is my least favourite Beatles stuff by a considerable distance. But I gotta get the set.

Anyway - this delightful woman is currently doing a 'reacts' series on all the Beatles' albums in order, and I think it's great: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Es8DsSyGEPnJa63JQlrpg She claims never to have heard most of them before.

daf

Yes, I've been following those - she does say when she comes accross a song she's heard before (e.g Yesterday), so I think she's on the level.

Here's another going through the albums > > > here

Both come at it from a musician's perspective, so it's a bit more insightful than just the usual nodding heads.

gilbertharding

Quote from: daf on October 13, 2021, 03:57:44 PM
I think she's on the level.

Oh, aye. I wasn't implying otherwise.

I'm a bit fearful of her listening to Run For Your Life, because it's awful.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 13, 2021, 03:01:45 PM
Just release Let It Be on DVD.

Three part series 'Streaming on Disney' FFS

Yeah they should release it on 35mm film and send a free copy to all Beatles fans.

kalowski

I have Let It Be on my computer. Must have been copied from an old video/laserdisc.

Anyway, I cannot wait for this and it's likely I'll cry.

DrGreggles

Can't wait, but I was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen though.