Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

yeah that looks like that Predator blu ray they put out that looked like everything had been sandblasted and put through a dreamcast

SteveDave

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 13, 2021, 05:52:22 PM
Can't wait, but I was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen though.

QuoteIt was time to screen a special hundred-minute version of "The Beatles: Get Back," a three-part documentary series more than six hours in length made by the director Peter Jackson, and scheduled to stream on Disney+ during the Thanksgiving weekend.

There's a "short" cut that's been made so...there's a possibility?

Pauline Walnuts

Can't you just buy a 60" TV for the price of two cinema tickets and some popcorn these days?

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Glebe on October 14, 2021, 11:43:36 PM
He'll be putting Gollum Shrek Tim from The Office in there next!

Fixed

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Goldentony on October 14, 2021, 07:09:29 PM
when are they going to stop taking the piss and put Carnival of Light out

As each year passes I've become increasingly convinced that the main reason this hasn't seen the light of day is because it's shite. The handful of people who have heard it would seem to back this theory up.

Aside from some of the gems that would appear on early solo albums, they were never a band to keep anything of any real worth in the vault. I was really disappointed by What's The New Mary Jane when it was released on Anthology 3. They were right not to include it on the White Album.

What I'd really love to hear in full though, is the incidental music from Magical Mystery Tour (e.g. the weird theramin piece from the spaghetti dream sequence). I think this stuff was mentioned in brief in Lewisohn's Sessions book but I've never been clear on exactly how many bits and bobs were recorded and what might be still laying about gathering dust in the archives.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Replies From View

Quote from: SpiderChrist on August 27, 2021, 10:45:59 AM
Let It Be boxset announced. More disappointing than the Abbey Road one, tbh.

All the Get Back material has been so widely bootlegged already that there's nothing really new to hear.    The sound quality is obviously an improvement over those, but there will be over-familiarly even to the kind of fan that only bothers with official releases (the original Let It Be, the Anthology and Let It Be... Naked).  The only track I didn't recognise was a non-rooftop version of One After 909 with extra piano.

No complete rooftop concert has been included on what should be the final, definitive release of this album - a deluxe 6-disc set of Let It Be has no excuse for such a hole.  Not especially annoyed, as it's available in bootleg issues all over the place, but it's still ridiculous as I'm not sure if Apple will get away with another dip from these sessions.

Custard

Just listening to the new Giles Martin mix of Let It Be, as it arrived on Friday

Maybe my ears are twatted, but I can't really tell much difference. The sound is a little clearer, maybe. Doesn't really matter to me to be honest, as I didn't own it on vinyl before now

A NEW PHASE BEATLES ALBUM DONTCHAKNO?

I still prefer Let It Be Naked

daf

Can't believe they left out 'No Pakistanis' - what were they thinking!

If 'No Pakistanis' is not in the documentary, it's definitely a whitewash. It's a key part of how 'Get Back' developed as a song. Are they going to pretend that the final lyrics of 'Get Back' were the original idea?

JesusAndYourBush

I've seen a tracklist for the CD's and for someone who's listened to 100 hours of those sessions the tracklist looks really dull, although I'm sure people who've only ever heard the official output will love it.
My favourite bit was on one of the ancient "Sweet Apple Trax" bootlegs, the portion which includes Moma You've Been On My Mind, House Of The Rising Sun, Commonwealth, etc, but I bet none of that will be in the documentary.

Retinend

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 17, 2021, 03:35:38 PM
If 'No Pakistanis' is not in the documentary, it's definitely a whitewash. It's a key part of how 'Get Back' developed as a song. Are they going to pretend that the final lyrics of 'Get Back' were the original idea?

"Whitewash" implies something to hide. If they left it out it would be because people with modern sensibilities inevitably get the wrong end of the stick after hearing it.

SteveDave

I'm going to see Paul McCartney talking tomorrow. Does anyone have a question they'd like me to ask?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: SteveDave on November 04, 2021, 10:24:29 AM
I'm going to see Paul McCartney talking tomorrow. Does anyone have a question they'd like me to ask?

Ask Faul what did they do with the old Paul? Is it true he became Genesis P Orridge from Throbbing Gristle/PTV?

phantom_power

Where does he get his crazy ideas?

shagatha crustie

'Why did you trick all your fans into believing this book would finally be a genuine insight into your often misunderstood artistry, when in fact it turns out you're even more damaged/insulated/emotionally repressed than we thought?'

SpiderChrist

"Can I have a million pounds, please? Go on, you won't miss it."

studpuppet

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 04, 2021, 10:31:08 AM
Ask Faul what did they do with the old Paul? Is it true he became Genesis P Orridge from Throbbing Gristle/PTV?

Or rather ask Paul why him and his mates NEVER EXISTED.

daf

He probably wont remember thanks to the mountain of weed he's smoked over the years, but ask him if he played drums on Old Brown Shoe - nobody can agree at the moment.

Lewisohn's 'Complete Beatles recording Sessions' from 1988 credits Ringo, while the book with the 2019 Abbey Road remix says it's Paul.

(The theory is that Ringo was filming The Magic Christian at the time of recording, so Paul must have done it. Others say the 'shuffle beat' would be too tricky for Paul's skills, so Ringo must have come in after filming.)

Discussion: The Beatles "Old Brown Shoe" - Paul or Ringo on drums?
Is it possible Paul McCartney played drums on Old Brown Shoe?

DrGreggles

why did you break stevie wonder?

kalowski

I've had a hard day and decided The Beatles would pep me up so I stuck on the Mono Masters. I'm still only up to 1964 and by God their just a joy. They were brilliant and I don't give a fuck who disagrees. What a band!

Retinend

The thing about the Beatles is that you're never too young for them, and never too old for them.

kalowski

I have also remembered that most of George's guitar solos were bloody terrible at first.
What was the first decent solo? I Feel Fine? You Can't Do That? Certainly nothing before that I think.

The isolated drums on 'Old Brown Shoe' suggest it's too tricky for it to be Paul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw-i6osF-1E&ab_channel=DLD2Music%21

Compare with Paul on 'Ballad of J&Y'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No69xV15RCc&ab_channel=DLD2Music%21

But also Lewisohn listened closely to the tapes so I'd trust him as authoritative, and he was writing in the 80s not 2021.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: kalowski on November 04, 2021, 06:24:46 PM
I have also remembered that most of George's guitar solos were bloody terrible at first.
What was the first decent solo? I Feel Fine? You Can't Do That? Certainly nothing before that I think.

His solo on I Saw Her Standing There is pretty good, but yeah, he wasn't the most fluid soloist in the early days. His fills were always nice and concise - Are George was never flashy - and he should've received a co-writing credit on And I Love Her (its signature acoustic guitar riff was entirely his invention). Some of those clumsy solos, though. Sheesh.

But as you say, he started to improve around 1965. As for You Can't Do That, though, the guitar solo was played by John, wasn't it?

kalowski

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley link=topic=34164.msg4740996#msg4740996 date.
But as you say, he started to improve around 1965. As for You Can't Do That, though, the guitar solo was played by John, wasn't it?
Just looked it up and you're right. This is something I'd never realised!

Goldentony

ASK HIM ABOUT CARNIVAL OF LIGHT

the science eel

Quote from: Goldentony on November 05, 2021, 07:45:50 AM
ASK HIM ABOUT CARNIVAL OF LIGHT

if he says 'Carnival of SHITE, more like!', I'll give you a MILLION POUNDS

Head Gardener

I went to see Paul talk about his book tonight, I saw an actual Beatle's face with my face. A lot of love in the room for him.

Glad to say he barely lapsed into any of his classic anecdotes, other than one about the feedback on I Feel Fine. They tried to bait him into 'scrambled eggs' but he deftly swerved it as well as an ill-considered attempt to drag him into Guardian-esque contemporary political commentary.

I went in there cynical as hell and came out in love with him all over again. He's fucking amazing and so much more than his showbiz persona.