Author Topic: The Beatles are fucking good.  (Read 85619 times)

George Oscar Bluth II

Re: The Beatles are fucking good.
« Reply #1320 on: October 13, 2021, 07:29:58 PM »
There's something uncanny and unreal about seeing footage of them shot in that style, in that quality isn't there. Get the same vibe from it I got from the (incredible) Apollo 11 (2019), also constructed from footage shot in 1969 and left to gather dust since.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1321 on: October 13, 2021, 07:34:14 PM »
I'm going to watch Let It Be tonight to get in the mood.

daf

• Hello Faithful Reader!
« Reply #1322 on: October 13, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
Can't wait, but I was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen though.

Just move closer to the telly!

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1323 on: October 13, 2021, 07:57:41 PM »
Let It Be is so shadowy and dark, I'm amazed at how clean and bright the Peter Jackson clips look.

« Reply #1324 on: October 13, 2021, 08:54:40 PM »
Wasn't this reported as being made into a longer series, because there was so much great footage? And wasn't that one of the justifications for it moving from cinemas to streaming TV? Just a 3-parter seems a bit disappointing if there was 50+ hours of footage!

daf

• Hello Faithful Reader!
« Reply #1325 on: October 13, 2021, 09:07:54 PM »
Two hours each - so 6 in all. There'll probably also be some more stuff on the blu-ray.

He's obviously trimmed it down to stuff that pushes his chosen narrative along*, and is also worth sitting through (so several hours of beating Teddy Boy into the ground most likely hit the cutting room floor!)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (setting themselves a mission to write & record an album from scratch and perform it live in under a month)

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1326 on: October 13, 2021, 09:22:43 PM »
Did I dream a time where they were playing Get Back and Lennon's guitar cut out for a bit? Could have sworn it was on the rooftop but it didn't happen. Not finished yet so maybe they play it twice.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1327 on: October 13, 2021, 09:29:10 PM »
Did I dream a time where they were playing Get Back and Lennon's guitar cut out for a bit? Could have sworn it was on the rooftop but it didn't happen. Not finished yet so maybe they play it twice.
They did play it twice, and John's guitar did cut out the second time!

daf

• Hello Faithful Reader!
« Reply #1328 on: October 13, 2021, 09:32:56 PM »
It was Mal Evans who tuned off both Lennon's and Harrison's amps, after the Rozzers started giving him evils :

The final full song was Get Back, although The Beatles nearly stopped performing when the police arrived on the roof. The officers demanded that Mal Evans turn off the group’s Fender Twin amplifiers. He complied, but Harrison immediately turned his back on. Evans realised his mistake and turned Lennon’s back on too. The amplifiers took several seconds to start again, but The Beatles managed to continue long enough to see the song through to the end.

Paul : "In the end it started to filter up from Mal that the police were complaining. We said, ‘We’re not stopping.’ He said, The police are going to arrest you.’ ‘Good end to the film. Let them do it. Great! That’s an end: “Beatles Busted on Rooftop Gig”.’ We kept going to the bitter end and, as I say, it was quite enjoyable. I had my little Hofner bass – very light, very enjoyable to play. In the end the policeman, Number 503 of the Greater Westminster Council, made his way round the back: ‘You have to stop!’ We said, ‘Make him pull us off. This is a demo, man!’ I think they pulled the plug, and that was the end of the film."

This third rooftop performance of "Get Back" was the last song of the Beatles' final live performance. As a climax it could scarcely be bettered, with McCartney ad-libbing, "You've been playing on the roofs again, and that's no good, and you know your Mummy doesn't like that ... she gets angry ... she's gonna have you arrested! Get back!" The police presence ensured that The Beatles would play no more on the roof. The concert over, McCartney thanked Starr’s wife Maureen for her enthusiastic cheering with a simple Thanks Mo!, and Lennon quipped "I’d like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we’ve passed the audition.

When assembling the Let it Be album in 1970, Spector crossfaded this end chatter on to the take used for the single of "Get Back". The single's reverb effect and coda were also omitted, creating the impression that the single and album versions were different takes.

Ringo : "I always feel let down about the police. Someone in the neighbourhood called the police, and when they came up I was playing away and I thought, ‘Oh great! I hope they drag me off.’ I wanted the cops to drag me off – ‘Get off those drums!’ – because we were being filmed and it would have looked really great, kicking the cymbals and everything. Well, they didn’t, of course; they just came bumbling in: ‘You’ve got to turn that sound down.’ It could have been fabulous."

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1329 on: October 13, 2021, 09:34:09 PM »
Thanks, daf.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #1330 on: October 14, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
Trailer for the three-part 'Get Back' series > > > here

https://www.thebeatles.com/disney-debuts-trailer-and-key-art-beatles-get-back

Why do you never see a younger Beatles gobbing on an older Beatles?

« Reply #1331 on: October 14, 2021, 02:43:59 PM »
I can't imagine hating music from 20 years ago with such a passion. Maybe this is the reflexive Beatlemaniac in me, but to me it's a covert compliment to the Beatles, that they were relevant enough to attack in such excessive language so long after breaking up.
I still see people ranting about how bad nu-metal is on some Facebook groups occasionally.

gilbertharding

• Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin'
« Reply #1332 on: October 14, 2021, 03:35:08 PM »
Yeah they should release it on 35mm film and send a free copy to all Beatles fans.

Don't know what to make of this...

OK thanks.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1333 on: October 14, 2021, 03:36:33 PM »
Just making sure CaB is abreast of my actions.

« Reply #1334 on: October 14, 2021, 04:27:52 PM »
Trailer for the three-part 'Get Back' series > > > here

https://www.thebeatles.com/disney-debuts-trailer-and-key-art-beatles-get-back

You can't fault the Rutles fans for being quick off the mark.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1335 on: October 14, 2021, 05:41:40 PM »
I love that Barry Wom is short for Barrington Womble

« Reply #1336 on: October 14, 2021, 06:13:14 PM »
I still see people ranting about how bad nu-metal is on some Facebook groups occasionally.
Muscle memory. I don't see how that genuinely provokes ire now.

« Reply #1337 on: October 14, 2021, 07:09:29 PM »
when are they going to stop taking the piss and put Carnival of Light out

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1338 on: October 14, 2021, 07:54:35 PM »
Image 1 from my dodgy copy of Let It Be

Image 2 from the trailer

« Reply #1339 on: October 14, 2021, 08:47:52 PM »
The quality is amazing, I love this kind of restoration project.

« Reply #1340 on: October 14, 2021, 09:16:10 PM »
This is probably a fairer comparison - top image is from the Beatles 1 DVD, and the bottom is from the trailer:

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #1341 on: October 14, 2021, 10:02:10 PM »
Yeah, mine is a low res avi of Let It Be, but the improvement in quality for me is brilliant.

daf

• Hello Faithful Reader!
« Reply #1342 on: October 14, 2021, 11:09:21 PM »
Would have prefered a bit more grain - looks a bit waxy (also, they tinted the glass green . . . for some reason!)

Here's the original :

« Reply #1343 on: October 14, 2021, 11:22:12 PM »
The trailer does indeed look waxy, was expecting that satisfying grain and late 60s celluloid colour but it looks like they've gone overboard with the digital noise reduction and artificial image sharpening

daf

• Hello Faithful Reader!
« Reply #1344 on: October 14, 2021, 11:39:12 PM »
Attention Peter Jackson - sort out this waxy CGI bollocks!

Glebe

• You must have realism, Spike.
« Reply #1345 on: October 14, 2021, 11:40:32 PM »
Yeah that's not great.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #1346 on: October 14, 2021, 11:41:19 PM »
Would have prefered a bit more grain - looks a bit waxy (also, they tinted the glass green . . . for some reason!)

Presumably so it matches the carpet. Jackson tinkering with history and decor; the man is out of control.

I agree that it all looks a bit waxy and borderline uncanny valley. Still can't wait to see it, though.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

• Oh it's a whole flock of detectives
« Reply #1347 on: October 14, 2021, 11:42:26 PM »
I thought it was just my phone or I was going to be told I was talking out my arse if I posted about that.

Didn't look like that in the sneak peek last year (edit - or did it???) what on earth are they playing at, its not They Shall Not Grow Old. Yeah its old film they're scanning etc but there's noise reduction then there's this weird state of affairs.

Will be a fun watch either way but I know myself too well to think I won't be able to just switch off that fussy part of my brain the whole time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:59:25 PM by Rich Uncle Skeleton »

Glebe

• You must have realism, Spike.
« Reply #1348 on: October 14, 2021, 11:43:36 PM »
He'll be putting Gollum in there next!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #1349 on: October 14, 2021, 11:45:47 PM »
He'll be putting Gollum in there next!

The scene in which a visiting Peter Sellers wrestles with King Kong is staggering, apparently.

Tags: krautrock nazis hijack thread for own purposes hey Mick, you're fucking good Except all of John's ones. I'd have to say 'The Best of the Beatles' Kiddy sing-alongs for tramps Like scratching a blackboard with a Prince Albert Shit for cunts Fucking good shit for fucking good cunts how can they be good when they took drugs I preferred Candy Flip The Rupert cartoon with the green French children The four vultures from The Jungle Book with worse tunes Right up there with The Lotus Eaters and Gary and Eddie Thousands of fainting schoolgirls can't be wrong shit four cunts I've Got A Fever No  The Beatles The who? No, The Beatles. For fifty years it's nothing but Beatles this and Beatles that The Fast Food Rockers are flipping burgers full time now It was the trousers biggytitbo thread The lazy tourist's guide to the history of popular music. but your guide would be fairly shit without them Radiohead They're only half as good these days McCartney's got a mouth like a cat's ringpiece and he looks like Ken Dodd, if his hair gets messy Pierro Scaruffi closes thread in disgust Isn't this meant for children? Jazz Queen says they're not as good as Miles Davis. Happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy j happy happy joy joy joy tens of milkshakes for Pete Best McInane and a McTwee to go bald fuckless cunt whines on about a subject he doesnt understand Music Death I like 'em Lionising the undeserving music for people who don't like music they're alright...nothing to stunt your musical growth over.