Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:20:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Actors (of both sexes) that immediately perk up any film

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, December 21, 2012, 11:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

For me, Judge Reinhold is a great example of that. Partly because he's appeared in a fair amount of total dirge, but seeing his chirpy face, there's something instantly fun, almost like watching your mate appearing in hollywood films. I guess he probably goes down as a terrible actor due to his inability to be anything other than himself, heightened to various degrees, but what he does, is good.

Kind of surprised looking at his era and back catalogue how he avoided all those John Hughes films, he would've been great.

Have you seen the fucking state of him these days though? There's even a discussion topic asking what happened to his face:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001662/board/nest/127213590

monkfromhavana

Jesus! When plastic surgery goes wrong.

Aside from Walter Matthau, who's more of a leading man, rather that the supporting cast members I think you're on about, Dan Aykroyd always perks me up. That's probably down to having lots of love for his films up to Ghostbusters 2 & Loose Cannons (the worst film ever made). I even liked Doctor Detroit and I don't think that was even released in the UK.

My and my mate Sam always love it when Al Leong turns up in a film. He never has any dialogue, but cuts a convincing mercernary. See him electrocuting Mel Gibson in the shower in Lethal Weapon, or stealing Nestle Crunch bars prior to picking off a SWAT team in Die Hard.

Replies From View

another Mr. Lizard

Luis Guzman for me - what a guy. Always plays the same slightly shifty friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend-of-the-hero, and is always magnificent. I'll go miles out of my way to see films that he appears in for about two minutes as a bartender/cabbie/doorman.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I agree about Dan Akyroyd up to the late 90s where I just get sad seeing him all fat. I don't want to be fattist but in Trading Places he was the most handsome lithe suited and booted motherfucker.

Tiny Poster

It pleased me to see Aykroyd in The Campaign recently, even if Lithgow was given all the funny lines.

Larry Miller always cheers me up whenever he appears. He has a fairly limited range, but he's deployed like a funny-seeking missile.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 21, 2012, 12:06:28 PM
I agree about Dan Akyroyd up to the late 90s where I just get sad seeing him all fat. I don't want to be fattist but in Trading Places he was the most handsome lithe suited and booted motherfucker.

Yeah I remember seeing him in Driving Miss Daisy or something and his arse was literally too big to fit on the screen.

I nominate Joe Pesci.

vrailaine

Philip Baker Hall generally boosts my interest in a film, he'll hardly ever be in a lead role or whatever, but when I see him pop up I'll suddenly be like "my, this film sure has a strong supporting cast!".

John Cazale, obviously ...although I guess he's in lead actor territory with the role in Godfather part 2, if nothing else.

Don't really view Buscemi as any kind of lead, but he's generally great in smaller roles.

Kyle Chandler, not really sure why, something about his face.

grassbath

Daniel Day-Lewis seems to put a spell of acclaim on any film he's in with his acting wand. Tom Waits, if you can call him an actor, spices up any film because he's such an interesting man (he was the best thing about that stonkingly shite Francis Ford Coppola Dracula film). I'm also happily surprised whenever Dylan Baker pops up.

Jerzy Bondov

Jason Watkins is the answer, though he's in more TV stuff than film. Saw him in Bridget Jones 2 the other week (don't ask) to my immediate joy.

madhair60

Harry Badger

Roy Kinnear has appeared in some right old crap, but is always worth watching. I couldn't help but think the Ray Winstone part in the last Indiana Jones film was modelled on him.

biggytitbo

Irene Handl. She's amazing in Italian Job and The Rebel even for 2 minutes.

SteveDave

Paul Rudd. But only in a supporting role. Put him as the lead & the film will be balls. Which is why I'm worried about This Is 40.

Crabwalk

^ As soon as this scene happened in the first episode of Delocated, you knew it was going to be a great show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFH9S7EtybU

I always get excited when this little old face pops up in any TV show or film:

grassbath

Small Man Big Horse

J.K. Simmons, though given how many small roles he takes on, it has the detrimental effect of wondering why he isn't in the film more. And Ray Wise, who deserves much greater acclaim than he's ever received.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: SteveDave on December 21, 2012, 02:28:54 PM
Paul Rudd. But only in a supporting role. Put him as the lead & the film will be balls. Which is why I'm worried about This Is 40.

I rather enjoyed I Love You, Man.

He's someone who I'm wary of getting pushed towards slushier shite though, especially as he gets older, and seemingly more good looking.

Jesus, this is the second time I've expressed man-love on here.

Gradual Decline

I'll happily watch anything featuring Brian Dennehy. Ah, TV movie heaven.

Replies From View

SteveDave

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 21, 2012, 03:21:48 PM
I rather enjoyed I Love You, Man.

He's someone who I'm wary of getting pushed towards slushier shite though, especially as he gets older, and seemingly more good looking.

Jesus, this is the second time I've expressed man-love on here.

That was alright but it had Rush in it. When did they become alright to like? Kevin Smith was gushing about them on his podcast this week. For ages.

Neomod

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: grassbath on December 21, 2012, 02:03:16 PM
(he was the best thing about that stonkingly shite Francis Ford Coppola Dracula film

I would argue that Monica Bellucci was the best thing in that film

I actually like the film also, Reeves and Ryder aside

grassbath

It's impossible to avoid Reeves and Ryder being so awful though. Gary Oldman takes overacting to a new level, and even the usually reliable Anthony Hopkins and Richard E Grant are lost in a sea of ham and can only ham furiously themselves to survive. I know the thing is supposed to be camp and overdramatic, but it's like watching a pantomime, which shouldn't be the case with a faithful adaptation of one of the ultimate classic horror novels.

El Unicornio, mang

Can't argue that it's pretty terrible as far as the acting goes. I like it visually though.

Jerzy Bondov

J. K. Simmons is a good one. I was very happy when he popped up doing a voice in Portal 2 to give me a break from Stephen Merchant.

biggytitbo

Replies From View