Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Actors (of both sexes) that immediately perk up any film

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, December 21, 2012, 11:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 02, 2013, 02:14:19 PM
I've been going through his back catalogue of late after discussions on another thread and Rutger Hauer really does it for me. Very commanding screen presence and great charisma and acting ability. Plus most of his films are of a decent quality or are complete genre trash, both fine by me. I was watching Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind starring Sam Rockwell (who I also really like) and who should pop up only Rutger Hauer, I was delighted and his bit was a quality item.

I would put Sam Rockwell firmly in this category. Generally makes good films and always gives a good performance, most of the time bordering on excellent

Cohaagen

Quote from: Phil_A on January 03, 2013, 12:20:17 AM
Wings Hauser also managed to appear in two zombie hillbilly films within two years, Night Shadows(aka Mutant) and Nightmare At Noon(aka Death Street USA), both with almost exactly the same premise. Quite an achievement.

I've only ever seen the first one of those. The re-release cover of Mutant is a sight to behold:

Second Sam Rockwell. He's great in everything from Box of Moonlight to to overrated Moon.

As for Bill Murray, he knows that all he has to do these days is turn up, look hangdog, act deadpan, and he'll rake in the accolades.

David O'Hara gives quality performances in everything from rubbish like Braveheart (as the crazy Irishman, Stephen) to silly plastic-paddy gangster flicks like The Departed:

I'll add Robert Picardo and John Hurt to my previous selection too.

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

And four for the price of one! They never phone in a performance no matter how ever dire the film.

Messrs Lee, Carradine, Cushing & Price. Solicitors Of Horror.

zomgmouse

Thelma Ritter! She was great in Pickup on South Street, All About Eve and Rear Window.

glitch

Beaten to it with Michael Ironside. I absolutely love watching some trashy 80s movie and him appearing as a villain or just general hardcase.

Gulftastic

Quote from: glitch on January 05, 2013, 02:44:25 PM
Beaten to it with Michael Ironside. I absolutely love watching some trashy 80s movie and him appearing as a villain or just general hardcase.

Yep. He works for TV shows too. I was ridiculously excited when his name popped up as a guest star in an episode of 'Smallville', elevating what was by then a bloody awful show*.

*I'd watched that far, they weren't getting rid of me.

monkfromhavana

Gulftastic

I always let out a little cheer when Mark Sheppard's name pops up in the opening of a TV show.

QDRPHNC

Can we pinpoint with any degree of accuracy when it become not OK to call women actors actresses?

If they didn't act, would they be called "men"?

glitch

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 05, 2013, 10:20:12 PM
Lance Henriksen. He has a vibe.

He's another guy I like to see in a surprise role. Think I've just got a love for him due to Bishop though.

I remembered another one: Matt Frewer. Originally played Max Headroom, I loved spotting him in things like the Dawn of the Dead remake and Watchmen.

Buelligan

I saw Michael Shannon mentioned in another thread and thought he really deserved a mention here, as do the stupendously wonderful Christopher Walken, Frances McDormand, Michael Jeter and Cate Blanchett.

Absolutely agree with many of the nominations here especially, Steve Buscemi, Tilda Swinton, Philip Seymour Hoffman, William H Macy, J K Simmons and John Turturro.

Gulftastic

I always like it when Christine Baranski turns up in anything, from 'Mamma Mia', 'Chicago', 'Cybil', The Big Bang Theory' or any of the other massive stack of shows and films she's starred in.

holyzombiejesus

Seeing as the thread title doesn't specify the actors actually improving the film, merely 'perking it up', Mickey Rourke and Nicholas Cage.

Lazy Daisy

Buscemi, Murray, Aykroyd, William H Macy, Willem Dafoe I don't know if if it's because they are rather more selective in their choice of scripts but in different ways they all improve a film, and this guy too:

dr_christian_troy

Peter Stormare

Michael Rooker

David Warner

Stephen Tobolowsky

Jeffrey Combs

...and recent contender, Christoph Waltz

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I love that photo of Christoph Waltz. Believe it or not, I once marveled at a photo of Lou Reed pulling exactly the same "WAHEY!!!" pose. It was in Q magazine, at the time of the Velvets reunion. I'd love to see it again, it was remarkable.

Anyway, back on topic. Tom Waits usually perks up anything he appears in.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 03, 2013, 06:01:42 PM
And four for the price of one! They never phone in a performance no matter how ever dire the film.

Messrs Lee, Carradine, Cushing & Price. Solicitors Of Horror.

I'll give you the other three, but Carradine phoned it in a few times towards the end there - "Red Zone Cuba", for one (where he even sang the theme music!)