Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

My LIttle & LArge bubble was burst by Nina Myskow on some couch show in the 80s, possibly TV AM. Going against the cuddly light entertainment bonhomie, she had a small rant about them coming back for a new series then said something very true "When was the last time you heard someone say, 'Have to get back, Little & Large are on soon'"[nb]Note for the youngsters. It was the mid 80s, so back before home videoing was massive. You know, when watching a TV show was like an appointment[/nb].

Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch

I remember Roger Daltrey turning up on the Little and Large Show circa 1985. It was really something to see. It was as if he knew, deep down, that this was as bad as it would ever, ever get, and everything else - be it making low budget British films for tuppence an hour, hamming it up with Alice Cooper in front of an orchestra, appearing in the Bill or whatever else he does when the Who aren't working - would be a walk in the park compared to this. The three of them did a song together called 'I'm A Stud'. Yep, imagine Syd singing those lines in his flat Northern voice and that's about as good as the sketch got. By the looks of this photo, they also did a boxing sketch, but I have no vivid memories of that.

Glebe

That's not a sketch. Eddie made a gag about Townsend messing wiv da kids, and Daltrey bullied Syd into helping duff him up.

gilbertharding

Little and Large were brilliant because the one called Large, although shorter than the one called Little, was almost certainly heavier.

This factor alone makes them better than Laurel and Hardy and Morecambe and Wise  and Fry and Laurie (but not, interestingly, Cannon and Ball).

Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch

Quote from: Glebe on July 15, 2013, 09:05:26 PM
That's not a sketch. Eddie made a gag about Townsend messing wiv da kids, and Daltrey bullied Syd into helping duff him up.

And I have no doubt Eddie managed to wangle a Deputy Dawg impersonation into the joke somehow.

Something else I have to say in favour of Syd and Ed - they resisted the temptation to make utter spoons of themselves in a feature film, thus sparing everyone the horror of another Boys In Blue. They took one for the team, and for that, I thank them.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch on July 16, 2013, 04:56:53 PM
They took one for the team, and for that, I thank them.

As if they would have turned down a film.

Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch

They were offered the title roles in Look At This Pair Of Cunce (1983) but they turned it down. Cheese and Onion stepped into the breach and the film went straight to Betamax.

Glebe

Here's L&L clearly not speaking to each otheron the BBC's The Story of Light Entertainment, talking about their disagreements and Eddie's health problems:

(approx 2.43 in)

The Story of Light Entertainment 1-Double acts- 6/10.

Though he seems like a lovely fella, Syd clearly couldn't act for toffee, although it does seem like Eddie bullied him a bit.

Quote from: Gavin M on December 22, 2012, 03:44:12 PMSyd's still got it!  (By it meaning a promotional video for the Cliffs Hotel in Blackpool)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFy7826kkIk

That is fabulous. Although I'm surprized nobody mistook him for Pete Waterman.

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on December 22, 2012, 05:53:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9h-8nO4pHU
This is well worth a look, though - Noel's Gotcha of Eddie Large:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ofw-eyAl0

Notable for the following:

1) the actor Robert Harley as one of the stooges, who surely back then would've been fairly recognisable From stuff like Fast Forward, the Daewoo adverts etc.

2) a young Rebecca Front as the female stooge - bet that wasn't on her showreel for Armando...

3) the fact that Eddie actually comes across as quite a decent and funny(ish) guy in real life

And 4) that much like the tv show, you don't even realise Syd's there til about halfway through!

Good stuff, actually have a vague feeling I've ssen it before. Indeed, Eddie does come across as a down-to-earth, witty bloke. Rebecca Front! So Morris ripped off both Noel's celebrity scams and his cast... the wheel has come full circle.

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on December 24, 2012, 05:51:57 PM
L and L's Country and Western sequence.  The video quality's somewhat dodgy at the start but settles eventually.  I'd almost forgotten that Eddie Large used to do Rab C Nesbitt as one of his impressions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfWD9OVxUkM

That is bizarre and surreal beyond anything David Lynch could do... a 'country & western megamix' featuring Laurel & Hardy doing 'Kinky Boots'?!?! I love the way Dolly has to point at her tits in case we missed the joke. The Rab C impression is a kind of 'handing on the baton' to the younger generation, much like Les Dennis doing Alexei Sayle and Davro doing Morrissey.

Quote from: kaprisky on December 24, 2012, 11:01:01 PM
At the end of Jasper Carrott's Beat the Carrott LP he sings a song called 'Day Trip to Blackpool'. According to the notes on discogs it is a cover version of a song called Day Trip to Bangor, written by Debbie Cook - "and the rain came dowwwwnnnnn".

The original song is incredibly nostalgic to me... I remember hearing it as a very small child and thinking it was an old song.

Scuba Diver

Caprilusa

Quote from: Glebe on July 20, 2013, 12:39:02 AM
That is fabulous. Although I'm surprized nobody mistook him for Pete Waterman.

I'm sure this has already been posted in this thread but here it is again anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9h-8nO4pHU

Ray Le Otter

Syd runs a restaurant-pub thing in my home town and is a very nice bloke. So, success of sorts on two counts there. Add never having to appear with that fat citeh-loving Bad impressionist ex-pal of his, and Syd's winning all round.  Take note Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch. All without ever having to post shit on a message board.

Oops! Wrong Planet

I saw Tina Turner on the show a few times, so it can't have been that naff.

Glebe

Quote from: Aluborough on July 20, 2013, 01:55:26 AMI'm sure this has already been posted in this thread but here it is again anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9h-8nO4pHU

Aha, YouTube comment noted. It has been posted already, but I only watched a couple of seconds of it... until now. Good fuck. Talk about karaoke night on the Costa. That must surely be the most excruciating stage performance by a former star ever. It's like end of raging bull without the audience confrontation.

Oh by the way, the tags for this thread are absolutely fucking hilarious.

Scuba Diver

I would sell my house just to see Eddie do his Deputy Dawg just one more time.

elnombre

Stumbled upon this:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/comedian-eddie-large-recovering-hospital-2797359

it seems Eddie has had another health scare - though he's recovering. Apparently he and Syd are back on speaking terms too, so thats nice, eh? Oh yes it is you cynical sods.

Glebe

That's rather heartwarming. And they just about have time to knock together a new special for Christmas 2013. Come on lads, pull your fingers out.

DrGreggles

Eddie seems to have transformed from a fat Kevin Keegan into a fat Joe Kinnear.
Well, Joe Kinnear anyway.

Gary

This is one of the most beautifully tragic things I have ever seen, on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vd2W-eXISc

Morrison Lard

Haha, that's fantastically grim,
4mins in so far.

Think I'll crack open a second bottle of vino

Gary

Quote from: Morrison Lard on November 28, 2013, 10:54:55 PM
Haha, that's fantastically grim,
4mins in so far.

Think I'll crack open a second bottle of vino

It's REALLY worth sticking with.

Morrison Lard

His routine about heart surgery was outstanding, could've done with a laughter track though

Rolf Lundgren

I was about to bail at 1:44 with the clip of him singing 'If Tomorrow Never Comes' but I'll hang in there a bit longer.

Glebe

Is this a video for cruise ships? In any case, wonderful stuff. I think seeing Syd Little live with chicken in a basket would be a kind of dream come true.

Danger Man

You could see him live with some fish and chips

http://www.strawberrygardensfleetwood.co.uk/restaurant-and-functions/

as he's the manager of this place.

QuoteIf you like Real Ale, Good Food and Syd Little then this is the place to go.
We booked a table in the restaurant in advance, as there were 14 of us. Syd Little was there that night and took all our orders, and as well as being an efficient host/waiter he still found the time to chat to us and have photos taken

Glebe

I look forward to popping over there for a meal, getting a photo with Sid and going back to my hotel to cry with nostalgia.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Gary on November 28, 2013, 10:42:33 PM
This is one of the most beautifully tragic things I have ever seen, on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vd2W-eXISc

Jesus that's lovely. I'm off work today so just did the whole sordid affair.

Presenter lady: We're going to take a quick little look - 20 seconds to remind our viewers -
Sid (sarcastic): Wow.
Lady: Of all the things you've done
Play VT of Sid singing 'If Tomorrow Never Comes' from 2012
Cut back to studio.

Wee Willy Harris and confusion arising therefrom at 9:04.

'We took over from Opportunity Knocks in 1976 and we went from nowhere to number thirteen in the ratings. Admittedly there were only three or four channels then.'

The ad break at 11:00 with a baby scratch effect.

'And Eddie - he was a bit of a bully, you know?'

Presenter lady: Now you're no longer working with Sid Little
Sid: Eddie Large
Presenter: Sorry, Eddie Large...

On Opportunity Knocks:
'We won that second show and we went on the next week and got beat my a woman named (I'll always remember) Glynnis Fleetwood and she sang the Lord's Prayer. Well you can't beat that can you? But she got laryngitis and she couldn't sing so we went back on and won again! Yessssssss!'

'Ah the Nuts & Bolts Orchestra. Great act but I don't think they're still going because they were a very old act then.' - i.e. they're dead. Cheers Sid.

Presenter: Old acts don't die do they? They just fade away.

From 38:19 there's a segment where he basically rattles off all his family and offspring, interspersing happy father with terrible family tragedy:

Sid: I've got...I've still got me son Dominic. He's 23 now. I had me son Paul who died of an overdose of drugs aged 27 in '95.
Presenter: Aaaaaaaah.

Sid: I've got a daughter who's just 40 - nearly 40 - sorry Donna! - and she's given me two granddaughters so...
Presenter: Oh how lovely.
Sid: So Isabella and Lexi-Monique if you're watching - get to bed! But she had a problem. Donna. Attacked. She was attached by an irate boyfriend. Left for dead.

Lovely bit of banter about Fresh Fleetwood Fish to round off the hour.

Fuck. It's been real.

Rolf Lundgren

Nice roundup doppelkorn, so much of what's funny about it is in the margins.

I liked the presenter rounding things up by lightheartedly predicting Syd's literal onstage death à la Tommy Cooper.

doppelkorn

thraxx

Lisa Riley's personal gravity causing havoc again there in that photo.

Glebe

Nice to see Eddie[nb]I know it's not him.[/nb] on the left in the first photo. I knew they'd reform in a quiet, dignified manner as befits The Greatest Double-Act Of All Time.