Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chriddof

I must also add that the brief sketch at 6 minutes 20 seconds is actually rather eerie in that it seems to have been written by a time traveller from the 21st Century.

The sketch that's immediately before that one, meanwhile, appears to have no actual jokes of any kind in it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 26, 2018, 11:35:14 AM
Shame they couldn't have gone on for a few more years.

Impossible.  They burned too brightly.

Tony Yeboah

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/syd-little-says-worried-would-12997544

Think Keith Harris turned this role down as well. Syd's had the last laugh because he's not dead. Yet.

Brundle-Fly

Has anybody watched Chuckle Time? It's my new favourite thing. Their commentary is so lacklustre and delivered with the conviction of Reginald Christie at the gallows. They make Syd Little seem like Richard Pryor.

http://www.channel5.com/show/chuckle-time-with-the-chuckle-brothers/

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 29, 2018, 08:26:47 PM
Has anybody watched Chuckle Time? It's my new favourite thing. Their commentary is so lacklustre and delivered with the conviction of Reginald Christie at the gallows. They make Syd Little seem like Richard Pryor.

Rancid. I could only handle 5 minutes of this due to their muffled video remarks. They sounded half asleep and a tad suicidal to me. I wasn't expecting Lawrence Olivier, but could nobody else notice their snooziness in the production unit?

Alberon

The Real Marigold Hotel's new series starts this week starring, of course, Syd Little.

Also appearing are Selina Scott (newsreader), Susan George (actress), Stephanie Beacham (actress), Peter Dean (Eastenders) (and who I was convinced was long dead), Bob Champion (jockey), Stanley Johnson and weird incesty father and son duo The Krankies.

It's on wednesday at 9pm on BBC 1.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sgt. Duckie on July 29, 2018, 08:34:16 PM

Rancid. I could only handle 5 minutes of this due to their muffled video remarks. They sounded half asleep and a tad suicidal to me. I wasn't expecting Lawrence Olivier, but could nobody else notice their snooziness in the production unit?

And they're so clearly sight reading off a script they probably haven't looked at more than once.

Enzo

Quote from: Chriddof on June 27, 2018, 07:43:16 AM
I must also add that the brief sketch at 6 minutes 20 seconds is actually rather eerie in that it seems to have been written by a time traveller from the 21st Century.

The sketch that's immediately before that one, meanwhile, appears to have no actual jokes of any kind in it.

Possibly the only point in their career where they were ahead of their time.

Hecate

Quote"I saw Keith Chegwin in my place. I'm so glad I didn't do that."

Go on, son!
Has he been knighted yet?

yesitsme

Just to wander off this fascinating topic for a moment we went on a cruise this year and the entertainment one night was yer very own Love Rat Darren Day.

I'd never knock anyone for doing it, LRDD has certainly found 'his audience' - mainly over 60s who cannot get enough of the cheeky chappie but while his singing is passable the rest of it is pretty much what Eddie used to do behind Sid's back.

He did 'Mr Grimsdale' for fuck's sake.
and 'Hello Possums!'

1,300 seater theatre x 2 shows x quickest to fill up x pushing and shoving from the OAPs to get to the front seats x rushing the stage at the end to get a hug from him.

He must wake up laughing that lad.

Going back to the Celebrity Squares clip, I am surprised the answers were not scripted to avoid dunces like Syd fucking up.

Alberon

The Real Marigold Hotel with Syd is on now. The most surprising bit so far was where they go to see a mystic doing a snake charming act though the snake is clearly held up by string from the end of the flute. Some of the stars were wondering if it was more than a little tacky when the mystic clambered to his feet with difficulty and pulled down his obviously fake beard to reveal Eddie in brown face. Launching into an Eddie Waring impersonation but with a cod Indian accent, he rugby tackled Syd to the ground and tried to anally insert the flute while going "It's an up and under!"

It was only after about three minutes of this that Jimmy Krankie got him to stop with a swift kick to the testicles. 

gilbertharding

Genuinely laughed out loud at the timing of the line "We'll have to have it now."

Alberon

Yeah, he does have comic timing. If only Eddie had ever let him get a word in.

Norton Canes

One of the fire eaters did look an awful lot like a Bisto'd-up Syd. I thought for a second he'd had a moment of madness and decided to join their act.

yesitsme

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 02, 2018, 01:12:59 PM
One of the fire eaters did look an awful lot like a Bisto'd-up Syd. I thought for a second he'd had a moment of madness and decided to join their act.

Little and Hadj

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Just watched the first episode of their 1991 series, as shared very generously on the previous page. It's abysmal, of course it is, but I do think that Eddie Large, had he been given some good material for once, could've been a decent comic. He's an eager-to-please, borderline anarchic clown who knows how to time a gag (even though his gags are shit).

One thing I truly can't stand about him, though, is that sort of strained, beatific, Cliff Richard-esque face he pulls whenever he sings. It's like he's trying to say "Yes, this is all a bit of fun, folks, but I can actually sing." Fuck off, Eddie. You could passably carry a tune, I'll give you that, but in the blandest, most nondescript way imaginable. He reminds me of Frank Skinner whenever he slips into "And this is me singing" mode. Excruciating.

EDIT: Mind you, I honestly had no idea who he was trying to sound like at the start of his Wogan sketch. I don't think the audience did either.

Glebe

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 02, 2018, 01:12:59 PMa Bisto'd-up Syd.

Laughed.

[FAKE EDIT]

From Stanley Johnson to Stephanie Beacham, who is in the cast of The Real Marigold Hotel?

Syd Little

(Picture: BBC)

Who is he: Aka one half of the comedy duo Little and Large, the 75-year-old – real name Cyril Mead – was, along with comedy partner Eddie Large, a veritable small screen fixture, with their comedy show running for 14 years until it was cancelled in 1991. You might also have spotted Syd on Celebrity MasterChef back in 2015.

DrGreggles

'Veritable' obviously has a different meaning to what I originally thought.

gilbertharding

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 03, 2018, 08:17:35 AM
'Veritable' obviously has a different meaning to what I originally thought.

Thinking I knew what it meant, I thought I'd check nevertheless...

Quotebeing in fact the thing named and not false, unreal, or imaginary —often used to stress the aptness of a metaphor.

A veritable Swiss Army Knife of a word.

yesitsme

He may be loveable but 'Super Chronic' really sums him up doesn't it?  He's no funnier than the funny bloke at work (at best) and at worst he's a talentless fuck who got away absolute murder for years.

Good luck to him.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Glebe on August 03, 2018, 03:20:34 AM
Laughed.

[FAKE EDIT]

From Stanley Johnson to Stephanie Beacham, who is in the cast of The Real Marigold Hotel?

The Krankies got their TV break in 1978. Fifteen years later, French & Saunders were probably the first to present the duo in a post-modern context in 1993 in their Silence Of The Lambs sketch.

Twenty-five years later The Krankies have been known as ironic kitsch throwbacks and reality stars longer than they were TV children entertainers.

Just chew on that tartan ball gag for a moment.

yesitsme

The Krankies 'Why Do You Love Me Daddy' routine is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

She's sat on his knee as WJK pretending to be a ventriloquist's dummy singing this song.  He's flinging her about like she's a rag doll.  This wasn't long ago by the way.  Talk about a Jeanette Krankie being a solid trouper.

She'd eat most modern day entertainers alive.

She does have some funny lines too.  She asked one bloke in the audience if her being dressed as WJK was 'turning him on?' and when IK mused on how his career had gone she said 'Look pal, you don't have a career - I'm your career.  When I die you're finished.'

Full marks to JK.

Just thought that 'JK Rolling' would have been a good headline when she fell off that beanstalk.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: yesitsme on August 03, 2018, 11:25:19 AM

Just thought that 'JK Rolling' would have been a good headline when she fell off that beanstalk.

Still one of my favourite letters to Viz comic: something along the lines,

"After the accident there was some confusion whether to put the injured comic in the men's ward, women's ward, paediatric ward or geriatric ward."

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on August 03, 2018, 03:20:34 AM
Syd Little

His head somehow reminds me of the red sphere in the VCI idents.  His hair represented by the letter C spinning around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Dwf-qeVBk

Morrison Lard

Here, have this video of Eddie on BBC local news talking about Man City, which I meant to upload about 6 months ago.
https://vimeo.com/283278159

jobotic

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 03, 2018, 11:34:50 AM
Still one of my favourite letters to Viz comic: something along the lines,

"After the accident there was some confusion whether to put the injured comic in the men's ward, women's ward, paediatric ward or geriatric ward."

There was also a ketter from a man who had been sexually fantasising about Wee Jimmy Krankie. His letter ended "I just wondered if it makes me gay, straight or a paedo. Can any of your readers help?"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 29, 2018, 08:26:47 PM

I feel a right cunt now. R.I.P. Bazza