Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bomb_dog

Quote from: This weeks TV Cream mailoutOld thrill!
LITTLE AND LARGE
It was quite useful Noel managed to revitalise BBC1's Saturday night line-up when he did as the Beeb spent much of the rest of 1991 clearing out their huge catalogue of past their prime variety acts, with Russ Abbott and Les Dennis both appearing in their last shows this year. Also out the door were Little and Large, after a marathon fourteen years at the Corporation, being poached from ITV in 1977, making their debut on the Beeb that Christmas and starting their long-running series the following year. Original producer Michael Hurll was quick to point out they weren't signed as a replacement for Morecambe and Wise, not least as they were still there when they arrived, and even Syd and Eddie were well aware of their limitations, especially Syd ("He is not pretending to be just standing there, he is just standing there"). Nevertheless the show continued successfully for many years, helped by Syd and Eddie's obvious good nature, their willingness to go to extreme measures for a laugh and, of course, Eddie's car starting routine. However despite their remarkable consistency, the Beeb never seemed to care for them, seemingly embarrassed by their lowbrow material and only letting them continue due to their high ratings, on at least one occasion being officially axed and then reprieved in lieu of any better ideas. However come 1991, even the smallest viewer could tell that they'd suffered a massive budget cut and nobody's heart was in it, and it was no surprise that turned out to be the final series. Even after that the Beeb showed some repeats in the summer, but then that was finally that. However the lads never seemed to moan and simply accepted they'd had a good run, and while they split up for a while and Eddie was in a bad way, we were thrilled to see them back on Saturday night the other week on Pointless. Sadly we didn't find out how Lulu started her car

Glebe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 08, 2019, 08:46:44 PMFascinating to see how the dynamic has shifted with Syd being the dominant partner here. I'm concerned about Eddie's tongue lolling though. Never a good health symptom. Poor old Mel Smith in his last years springs to mind.

I actually think he's looking pretty fly with his classy specs. But yes, Syd has finally had his revenge, and is clearly The Boss now. He may have given Eddie a strong speaking-to in the dressing room - and perhaps threatened violence.

But on a lighter note, to celebrate their prime-time reunion, let's have a classic song!

Sorry bomb_dog, I jumped the gun there:

Quote from: bomb_dog on March 08, 2019, 09:40:35 PMOld thrill!
LITTLE AND LARGE
It was quite useful Noel managed to revitalise BBC1's Saturday night line-up when he did as the Beeb spent much of the rest of 1991 clearing out their huge catalogue of past their prime variety acts, with Russ Abbott and Les Dennis both appearing in their last shows this year. Also out the door were Little and Large, after a marathon fourteen years at the Corporation, being poached from ITV in 1977, making their debut on the Beeb that Christmas and starting their long-running series the following year. Original producer Michael Hurll was quick to point out they weren't signed as a replacement for Morecambe and Wise, not least as they were still there when they arrived, and even Syd and Eddie were well aware of their limitations, especially Syd ("He is not pretending to be just standing there, he is just standing there"). Nevertheless the show continued successfully for many years, helped by Syd and Eddie's obvious good nature, their willingness to go to extreme measures for a laugh and, of course, Eddie's car starting routine. However despite their remarkable consistency, the Beeb never seemed to care for them, seemingly embarrassed by their lowbrow material and only letting them continue due to their high ratings, on at least one occasion being officially axed and then reprieved in lieu of any better ideas. However come 1991, even the smallest viewer could tell that they'd suffered a massive budget cut and nobody's heart was in it, and it was no surprise that turned out to be the final series. Even after that the Beeb showed some repeats in the summer, but then that was finally that. However the lads never seemed to moan and simply accepted they'd had a good run, and while they split up for a while and Eddie was in a bad way, we were thrilled to see them back on Saturday night the other week on Pointless. Sadly we didn't find out how Lulu started her car

Morrison Lard

Oh, I've got the dream team being interviewed on BBC Points West here.

This was just before the Slapstick (!?) Festival last January.

https://vimeo.com/322359209

jenna appleseed

Was it one of you lot you contacted 6music on Monday claiming to have met Little and Large when you were two?

a slightly later link by Shawn (too wafferly & tedious for Radio 2 & makes Steve Wright look good) Keaveny (not sure if his sudden memory, or something he'd forgotten to mention from his listeners message) mentioned Eddie Large having a guitar (pos bouncing up & down?) on a piece of elastic, and said in the style of a man having a depressing flashback.

Glebe

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 08, 2019, 11:39:00 PMOh, I've got the dream team being interviewed on BBC Points West here.

This was just before the Slapstick (!?) Festival last January.

https://vimeo.com/322359209

YES! It's like Stan & Ollie!

DrGreggles

Little & Large mentioned on Chart Music again!

millwall32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ZmvzV5EV8&t=410s

A brutal Chesney Hawkes edit, a Brief Encounter parody, and a midget doing the splits.

millwall32

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 01, 2014, 11:31:12 PM
Here's Syd being interviewed on the subject of God by a Christian snooker referee on the verge of a nervous breakdown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIW8QJ96lXA

EDIT: Shit, in all seriousness I didn't know Syd had endured such personal trauma. This thread has taken a strange, unexpected turn. Sorry.
Christian snooker referee. LOL.

millwall32

Quote from: doppelkorn on September 30, 2014, 09:56:29 AM
Chicken in a basket please don't weep,
The door is locked just you and me.
We can go to a stadium that's got glass tables,
You can watch me sing, while you are eating.

LOL

millwall32

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 23, 2017, 06:44:39 PM
As long as we're on the subject of adverts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WmWfWcd3Q

There's such a (presumably unintentional) bleakness to this which I find both compelling and oddly disturbing. The stark set. The absence of background music. The static crackle at the start. The dead echo on the dialogue recording. The grainy film stock, no doubt made worse by the bleary quality of the video conversion and the YouTube compression. The fact that the ad agency have hired two 'funny men' off the telly but were apparently stumped when it came to giving them something - anything - even vaguely amusing to say. Then there's the truly Sydian tragedy that whilst the Two Ronnies did adverts for watches, cars, crisps and cereals, Little and Large got stuck with flogging bog roll. Hmmm babaloo arsewipe.

Gurke and Hare

Hello! I've not posted here for ages, but I've been inevitably drawn back as I have to report that someone has started working in my office, an actual real live person called Edward Large. And nobody there has mentioned it or anything, as if it isn't the most amazing thing in the world.

Also, in the interminable NKOTB parody Eddie says "I've seen more fat on a chip" when questioning why someone is regarded as fat. But that makes no sense at all - chips are a notoriously fatty foodstuff.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 04, 2019, 10:22:37 PM
Hello! I've not posted here for ages, but I've been inevitably drawn back as I have to report that someone has started working in my office, an actual real live person called Edward Large. And nobody there has mentioned it or anything, as if it isn't the most amazing thing in the world.

Also, in the interminable NKOTB parody Eddie says "I've seen more fat on a chip" when questioning why someone is regarded as fat. But that makes no sense at all - chips are a notoriously fatty foodstuff.

That Edward Large is an IMPOSTER!

And yes, the real 'Eddeh' dropped the ball there with the chip fat comment. Disappointing.

Glebe

If he's talking about an individual potato chip, that has a very small proportion of an adult's human's bodily fat.  He could also be talking about a wood chip.

jenna appleseed

Surprise Little & Large lurking on discogs, on the back of somebody else's record

(eta: their contributions: unreadable sleeve blurb (even at full size), repro sigs & standing around the 'star' - Eddie pointing, Syd replaced by waxwork).

https://www.discogs.com/release/14171486

jenna appleseed

dr_christian_troy

New Kids On The Block?

Alberon

Time to get this thread back where it belongs. Not sure if either of these has been posted before.

Syd and Eddie on a terrible pop quiz show called Pop Quiz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Vell4E6mI

Features Roy Wood, Noddy Holder, Pauline Black and Jonathan King all hosted by Mike Read.

And Syd and Eddie on Pointless from 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zR1SUrNn4o

non capisco

Someone once made me a Little and Large themed birthday card as a direct result of this thread.

kalowski

Quote from: Alberon on January 09, 2020, 11:00:21 PM
Time to get this thread back where it belongs. Not sure if either of these has been posted before.

Syd and Eddie on a terrible pop quiz show called Pop Quiz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Vell4E6mI

Features Roy Wood, Noddy Holder, Pauline Black and Jonathan King all hosted by Mike Read.

That's horrible. Read with that dreadful rock star DJ hair and King being an utter cunt.

Glebe

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: non capisco on January 09, 2020, 11:26:25 PM
Someone once made me a Little and Large themed birthday card as a direct result of this thread.

Sadly my finest work...

poodlefaker

That's a young Les McQueen there. Syd had got the shits about going in the cannon, so the producer looked round for a suitable stand-in. Creme Brulee were studio guests and Les was about the right height. Ended up with a fractured wrist.

kalowski

Quote from: poodlefaker on January 10, 2020, 10:40:38 PM
That's a young Les McQueen there. Syd had got the shits about going in the cannon, so the producer looked round for a suitable stand-in. Creme Brulee were studio guests and Les was about the right height. Ended up with a fractured wrist.
It's a shit business.

Phil_A

Delighted that this masterpiece of tagging has been restored to it's former glory, although the lack of formatting make it read like one long continuous rambling nightmare of cruelty inflicted on poor Syd by his erstwhile partner.

Alberon

Quote from: Phil_A on January 18, 2020, 01:06:19 PM
Delighted that this masterpiece of tagging has been restored to it's former glory, although the lack of formatting make it read like one long continuous rambling nightmare of cruelty inflicted on poor Syd by his erstwhile partner.

Which it probably was, to be honest.

Brundle-Fly

It reads like a nastier version of a list of Itchy & Scratchy script ideas.