Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenna appleseed

Quote from: bigfatheart on April 02, 2020, 12:32:21 PM
He'll finally be able to do his song.

The other thread linked this
Quote from: studpuppet on April 02, 2020, 12:53:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9h-8nO4pHU&feature=youtu.be&t=17

Reactions to song (watched with multiple pauses because it's that rubbish):

'is this some of the fabled anti-humour I've heard about?'

Too appropriate or NOT APPROPRIATE!!!1!! song for right now.   

Accidentally hilarious, funnier than I ever remember him being on the show.
Tragically I think he's totally sincere & it's not meant to be a comedy performance.

Reactions to the bits of the short stand up 'comedy' routine afterwards I've managed to make it through so far (keep having to hit pause because it's so terrible).

He looks terrified.
Is he doing this at gunpoint?

Spoilers for actual 'jokes'
Spoiler alert

when he's hopping across the stage going "Hello my little bunnykins" he's like an 80s/early 90s old fashioned embarrassing  vicar  trying to be vaguely like an 80s/early 90s trendy vicar.
cringe, cringe cringe, cringe

That joke about leaving wife to drown in a car is incredibly inappropriately dark coming from him.

Nobody wants/needs to hear Syd Little trying to sound like a adult/vaguely blue comedian, putting on a sad voice to mock his wife's "droopy boobs"

Incredibly dated, sexist, tosh.

His face after & during these jokes like somebody's threatened to kill him if he doesn't do this routine accurately  as he's been demanded to, but he knows his wife is in the audience listening & is going to kill him first.

FFS. He's now claiming life was better in the 50s because it was uncomplicated and there was no such thing as speed cameras and sell by dates, & "what happened to the good old fashioned copper?"

and a a vaguely funny, incredibly badly told joke with a ancient sexist punchline to finish.
[close]

idunnosomename

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 02, 2020, 03:20:04 PM
Goodbye Eddie Large
Though I rarely watched you at all
You had the skill to impersonate
Cliff Richard and Deputy Dawg
At least you tried to
They probably weren't too accurate
But you could get away with that
On telly in those days

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a fat man with a perm
Pretending famous people's cars
Sounded a bit like them
And Syd would have liked to have done his song
Without you interrupting him
But instead you smashed his glasses up
And threw him in a bin

hahaha

biniput

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 23, 2020, 02:11:53 PM
But I think the reaction to them by 1978 was that they had started to settle into a complacent tits and bums routine because nobody was pushing the writers to give them anything with depth or edge. Their talents were being wasted.

THEY HAD FUCKING WRITERS????????????????????????????????

How long did it take each week? A few minutes in the pub or to re-type last weeks shit?  We must track down and expose these 'people'.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: biniput on April 02, 2020, 10:46:22 PM
THEY HAD FUCKING WRITERS????????????????????????????????

How long did it take each week? A few minutes in the pub or to re-type last weeks shit?  We must track down and expose these 'people'.

You're attacking The Two Ronnies for having the same style of jokes every week
and not getting confused and thinking the quote was about Little & Large, right?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

In the early days, Eddie Braben was one of Little and Large's writers, y'know.

David Renwick also wrote a few sketches for them in their nascent BBC years.

Brundle-Fly

Sardonicism aside, a little respect to Eddie Large. Ok, he was no Eric Morecambe, but he made a lot of people laugh.

R.I.P. 

jenna appleseed

Found via the twitter of the bloke covering part the Only Fools And Horses theme in the style of Elton John.

Matthew Sweet tribute to Eddy & Little & Large + getting Little & Large back together.
https://twitter.com/DrMatthewSweet/status/1245683127084879873

"I'm so, so sad to see that Eddie Large has gone. Last year at
@SlapstickFest
we got him back together with Syd for a night at the Bristol Old Vic. They'd not performed together for years. It was hilarious, of course..."

"But it was also incredibly moving, as they took it as an opportunity to say how they felt about each other. It was like watching an old couple with a long and sometimes troubled marriage renew their vows in public. These pictures are by Paul Lippiat & David Betteridge ...

"But the image in my head is when were waiting in the dressing room with only the mirror lights switched on. Two old clowns, somewhere near the end, remembering when they were young, performing in working men's clubs, getting pelted with bread rolls - and taking them home for tea."

That's actually genuinely touching / proper lovely & really funny about the bread rolls.

JCR

Heart failure is not pleasant to live with; I hope he's at peace now.

RIP.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 03, 2020, 12:15:42 AM
Sardonicism aside, a little respect to Eddie Large. Ok, he was no Eric Morecambe, but he made a lot of people laugh.

R.I.P.

It's a fucking crime that Eddie's one great routine isn't available on YouTube.

Glebe

Quote from: studpuppet on April 02, 2020, 12:53:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9h-8nO4pHU&feature=youtu.be&t=17

That bit from 2.25 to 2.31 is weird.  He changes tempo, comes out of rhythm and waggles his finger violently.  He seems as if he's getting flustered and berating himself out loud over some mistake and the phrase he then sings seems like a correction for getting the last phrase's lyrics wrong.

Actually that song's melody's rather like Good Year for the Roses by Elvis Costello.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on April 03, 2020, 11:31:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpJl8BoBUU

I like how in the first sketch ( which, tbf, isn't too bad, and wouldn't have looked out of place on an episode of Smith and Jones, with Mel in the Eddie role and Griff in the Syd role), the audience occasionally laugh at Eddie driving really quickly and disobeying road signs. A mark of the standards of Little and Large's audience.

Tony Yeboah

The 1977 Royal Variety Performance. Contains all the classics, pretty good actually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiVKtt2SiV4

kalowski

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on April 04, 2020, 03:57:40 PM
The 1977 Royal Variety Performance. Contains all the classics, pretty good actually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiVKtt2SiV4
That's why I liked them growing up. Eddie is just a ball of energy. Syd actually does something too. Not much, but he's there.

shiftwork2

This must have been close to the time I saw (or, was taken to see) them at Liverpool Empire.  They brought the house down pretty much.  Vivid memories of a sketch in which Eddie carried Syd in a wheelbarrow against a sped-up filmed backdrop each wearing sack cloth clothes and flat caps.

I know we've had our fun at Syd and Eddie's expense over the years - and long may that continue - but Eddie was a decent comedy impressionist turn. His Oliver Hardy in that clip was particularly good.

Yes, they were crap, but Eddie did have some talent. And I'll never tire of watching Syd doing fuck all - apart from singing a nice song for the ladies and gentlemen - while Eddie hogs the limelight. A unique act.

EDIT: What in God's name is Eddie supposed to be when he comes out dressed in tartan with a massive safety pin through his nose?! A punk Bay City Roller? Mystifying.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 05, 2020, 01:50:17 AMEDIT: What in God's name is Eddie supposed to be when he comes out dressed in tartan with a massive safety pin through his nose?! A punk Bay City Roller? Mystifying.

God, this made me laugh. The special CaB/L&L magic of something fucking inexplicable being performed very, very broadly.

Alberon

Eddie's final hours

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-52207140

QuoteSpeaking from their home in Portishead, near Bristol, his son Ryan said their father's health "just started to get worse and worse".

"That was the hardest part, not being able to be with dad [in hospital], and the bit that makes me the most sad," he said.

"We always had that hope that dad would be coming home but as soon as he was diagnosed with Covid-19, he just deteriorated quite quickly and that was the end unfortunately.

"You'd be speaking to him [on a video call] and it looked like he was on death's door and struggling to speak to us.

"But then you'd hear off-camera a nurse coming into the room and dad's eyes would open wide and he'd say: 'Here she is, my number one, Miss Southmead 1978 runner up'.

"You could just hear the nurses laughing and you're thinking he's so close to potentially not being being with us, and he's still making them laugh.

"That's all he wanted to do and what he did all the time."

It's absolutely shitty that his family couldn't be with him. It's true for virtually all dying of this virus, but that doesn't make it any better.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Eddie sounds genuinely charming and funny in that quote from the story. I can just picture him saying it, cheeky little grin on his face.

Remember that time he was a victim of one of Noel Edmonds'" Gotcha" ? ( which was actually quite mean spirited, taking the piss out of him for impersonating Deputy Dawn, and that). He actually came across as having a certain natural wit and charm in that, and was actually quite tolerant with that actor pretending to be a big Little and Large fan. I bet Rebecca Front even ended up fancying him a bit.

trabuch

Here they are again (young and lovely - with a little nod to savile). As an aside - I think the ventriloquist is pretty good.

https://youtu.be/zrbV3Erh0kY?t=451

Young Syd was so full of energy. A coked-up Robin Williams in NHS specs.

Mango Chimes

Peter Kay on chat shows = Eddie Large's act. The part of Syd Little will tonight be played by Jonathan Ross.

Annie Labuntur

Originally it was Andy Davies who was Syd to Wossy's Eddie.  He really was just sitting there.

kalowski

Quote from: trabuch on April 11, 2020, 02:08:20 AM
Here they are again (young and lovely - with a little nod to savile). As an aside - I think the ventriloquist is pretty good.

Eddie's great. Just full of anarchic energy.

Alberon

Quote from: trabuch on April 11, 2020, 02:08:20 AM

I'm not saying that was great, but there was more energy there than any other performance I've seen them do. Syd wasn't doing much (and a lot of his moving about was being pulled around by Eddie) but he was more involved there too.

Not that Eddie knew of course, but after his nod to Savile he moved on to another child sex abuser in that sketch, Clement Freud.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Alberon on April 11, 2020, 10:10:18 PM
I'm not saying that was great, but there was more energy there than any other performance I've seen them do. Syd wasn't doing much (and a lot of his moving about was being pulled around by Eddie) but he was more involved there too.

Not that Eddie knew of course, but after his nod to Savile he moved on to another child sex abuser in that sketch, Clement Freud.

And introduced by Bernard 'If you were my daughter I'd still be bathing you' Manning. (I know it was a joke but it's a bloody weird one.)

checkoutgirl

Watching that L&L episode from 1991 and there's nuff knob gags. At least 5 in the first 10 minutes.