Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: TheMonk on November 11, 2020, 12:37:04 PMthree minutes in. I can't recall a worse piece of TV comedy than that broom business at the top. Dire.

Ah yes, the classic with Eddie dressed as Old Shep, Eddie and Syd dressed as bees and Eddie smothering Syd with a birdcage cover!

DrGreggles

Quote from: TheMonk on November 11, 2020, 12:37:04 PM
three minutes in. I can't recall a worse piece of TV comedy than that broom business at the top. Dire.

Keep going, there's plenty!

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder if some people tuned in just for the non-comic songs.

QuoteFeaturing singer Lyn Paul performing ' If Everybody Loved the Same As You', Berni Flint ' I Don't Want To Put A Hold On You', Tony Hatch and the Love Machine performing 'Sunny', and The Stylistics performing 'You Are Everything'.

The Stylistics! On Little and Large!

kalowski

Quote from: TheMonk on November 11, 2020, 12:37:04 PM
three minutes in. I can't recall a worse piece of TV comedy than that broom business at the top. Dire.
Come on, that's exactly what I want from Eddie. Just non-stop impressions and pratting around.

A chance BBC Genome search returned this result from 30th March 1991, "This week, Syd Little and Eddie Large stay cool and hit the nail on the head as stars of rap Vanilla Ice and M C Hammer."

Syd and Eddie as Vanilla Ice and M C Hammer.

I've never before wanted to see a Little and Large sketch so badly. Who would play who? Surely Eddie would have to be M C Hammer, with Syd as Vanilla Ice? Or would it work better the other way round?

Alberon

It'd probably work best with Eddie playing both parts via split screen and Syd just standing there.

"hit the nail on the head"

I've just realised. Syd's going to be dressed as a giant hammer, isn't he.

non capisco

There's an obvious ominous question here about the MC Hammer portrayal. My guess is 'Yes, they did.'

Quote from: non capisco on November 29, 2020, 02:36:22 PM
There's an obvious ominous question here about the MC Hammer portrayal. My guess is 'Yes, they did.'

In 1991? Yes, they definitely did.

Famous Mortimer

It appears no-one has either screenshotted or uploaded this no doubt iconic moment.

Glebe

Looks like CaB has a new mission. Come on guys, let's find that MC Hammer L&L!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Glebe on November 29, 2020, 07:28:32 PM
Looks like CaB has a new mission. Come on guys, let's find that MC Hammer L&L!
I asked the person on Youtube who'd uploaded the first episode of their 1991 series (where they played New Kids On The Block, and it genuinely looked like they'd dragged an old drunk from the alleyway behind the studio to be the fifth member), but he didn't have it :(

Glebe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 29, 2020, 09:20:00 PMI asked the person on Youtube who'd uploaded the first episode of their 1991 series (where they played New Kids On The Block, and it genuinely looked like they'd dragged an old drunk from the alleyway behind the studio to be the fifth member), but he didn't have it :(

DESO.

George White

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 29, 2020, 09:20:00 PM
(where they played New Kids On The Block, and it genuinely looked like they'd dragged an old drunk from the alleyway behind the studio to be the fifth member),
Eli Woods https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Woods

checkoutgirl

Never cease to be amazed by how little Little brings to the act. Even when I know full well what he brings it still somehow surprises me. I imagine his agent negotiating for more money for Syd as they gained popularity in the late seventies and it's a bit sickening. He funded that guest house off the back of Eddie's graft, some good timing and whatever management he could get behind him at the time. And even then I'm sure he felt hard done by when he was binned by the executives in 1991 or whenever.

DrGreggles

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 01, 2020, 11:25:44 PM
And even then I'm sure he felt hard done by when he was binned by the executives in 1991 or whenever.

He was definitely a 'little' bitter in the interviews I saw, whereas Eddie had a more "we had a good run" attitude to it.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 01, 2020, 11:41:59 PM
He was definitely a 'little' bitter in the interviews I saw, whereas Eddie had a more "we had a good run" attitude to it.

Maybe the expectations were more geared towards entitlement at the time. Talent void Ted Rogers lost his chicken in a basket offering 3-2-1 around 1988 and was indignant despite the fact he'd had more than his fair share of bites at the cherry. Similarly I remember Jim Bowen having a go at the next generation of comics and Keith Harris having bitterness. Don't get me wrong, I'd take Bowen over Michael McIntyre any day but any TV star who expects more than 3 to 5 years amongst the plum roles in television is fucking mental. Especially when they are lucky to be there in the first place.

koeman

Menu

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 29, 2020, 09:20:00 PM
I asked the person on Youtube who'd uploaded the first episode of their 1991 series (where they played New Kids On The Block, and it genuinely looked like they'd dragged an old drunk from the alleyway behind the studio to be the fifth member), but he didn't have it :(

Just watched that sketch. Fucking hell.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: koeman on December 02, 2020, 12:29:20 AM
It's the first time he's been accused of this.

How much timing is required to just stand there?

petril

Quote from: Menu on December 02, 2020, 03:56:10 AM
Just watched that sketch. Fucking hell.

the only way I can describe it is yer Da and yer Uncles at your 21st trying to show they're still young and with it, but just going too far and all the laughter is ridicule

Glebe

Reminder RE: tracking down that MC Hammer sketch; come on, help us root that sketch out!

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Glebe on December 11, 2020, 02:26:49 PM
Reminder RE: tracking down that MC Hammer sketch; come on, help us root that sketch out!

Here's a little early Christmas present for you all:

https://youtu.be/XBm_6pppvhg

Sonny_Jim

You make Julian Clary look like a man......

Thank you.

Twonty Gostelow

Eddie even dances better than Syd.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 11, 2020, 11:54:18 PM
You make Julian Clary look like a man......

In fairness, that line was in the original version.

Famous Mortimer

bomb_dog

Love it. Awful yet surprisingly brilliant at the same time. Thank you, the Syd'n'Eddie thread lives on!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bomb_dog on December 12, 2020, 10:02:55 AM
Love it. Awful yet surprisingly brilliant at the same time. Thank you, the Syd'n'Eddie thread lives on!

I often wonder what was going through the minds of those professional dancers when they were backing Syd and Eddie in those fucking terrible routines ( Although Eddie and Syd actually acquit themselves as not bad dancers in that clip. Also like how one of the top- tier jokes is Syd Little almost saying "ass").

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 12, 2020, 10:16:40 AM
I often wonder what was going through the minds of those professional dancers when they were backing Syd and Eddie in those fucking terrible routines ( Although Eddie and Syd actually acquit themselves as not bad dancers in that clip. Also like how one of the top- tier jokes is Syd Little almost saying "ass").
Did you not watch Syd dancing?