Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spudgun

Quote from: Alberon on April 06, 2021, 08:50:53 AM
Talking of which, on that torrent site, it now has ALL of the BBC series up.

[Polite cough] Any further clues, please? This is the literally the most excited I've been since the first lockdown started.

Alberon

Just flicked through the second episode of series 1. It's exactly the same format as episode 1. Syd and Eddie do the interrupting sketch about four times. There's a thirty second filmed gag, a musical act and another musical dance act. One highlight is Syd is allowed to do an impression. Of Ben Turpin, silent movie star.

That's as good as it gets.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 10, 2021, 10:29:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C6_6n7o7PI

Probably old news

Oh dear. Still, I laughed when his arms kept getting longer, very Vic and Bob that.

(If anyone can email me the that torrent site details I'd be grateful, thanks.)

non capisco

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 10, 2021, 07:03:00 PM
(If anyone can email me the that torrent site details I'd be grateful, thanks.)

Yeah, come on lads, share the "wealth"!

Alberon

To be honest, I don't think it's a very good idea to broadcast these places too loudly as it can bring unwanted attention from officious knobheads.

non capisco

Ah right. Thought it'd be there. I've never managed to sign up or get an invite to that gaff.

DrGreggles

Just checked, I can't send invites at the moment.

non capisco

Ahh no worries, cheers for checking anyway. I'll just have to imagine the deft humour and astonishing structural surprises of early Little and Large for now.

Morrison Lard

can someone just upload it to youtube please.

non capisco

I've mellowed dreadfully and Morrison thankfully hasn't.

Yeah, sort us out you cunts.

Spudgun

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 06, 2021, 08:40:21 PM
God, help me pick the scab of a 35 year old trauma and me up too if I have enough posts.
Quote from: non capisco on April 10, 2021, 07:05:18 PM
Yeah, come on lads, share the "wealth"!
Quote from: Morrison Lard on April 10, 2021, 11:19:36 PM
can someone just upload it to youtube please.

Stop whining. You get nothing for free in this world.

Spoiler alert
Apart from this link that's doing the rounds: https://mega.nz/folder/sIVFgIjI#MS3IcZdlLHfc-unvkUGyGA. Hopefully someone here will help us all out with the rest.
[close]

non capisco

Jackson K Pollock

Yes, thanks a million, Spudgun, that is awesome and much appreciated. Downloading as we speak!

bomb_dog

Thank you Spudgun. I think we're all suckers for punishment.

Morrison Lard

SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT.

Episode 1 didn't dissapoint.
Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile impressions,
and a racist joke about cannibals, mere minutes after Charley Pride was singing live.

The funniest part of the lot was about 9m55 after some terrible impressions we cut back to Syd in the studio,
and there's one solitary loud as fuck CLAP.

You can also see where Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan got their idea for The Trip from,
with Eddie and some kid doing their terrible Rigsby impressions at each other.

Bring on episode 2.

FsF

Quote from: Morrison Lard on April 13, 2021, 09:26:53 PM
SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT.

Episode 1 didn't dissapoint.
Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile impressions,
and a racist joke about cannibals, mere minutes after Charley Pride was singing live.

The funniest part of the lot was about 9m55 after some terrible impressions we cut back to Syd in the studio,
and there's one solitary loud as fuck CLAP.

You can also see where Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan got their idea for The Trip from,
with Eddie and some kid doing their terrible Rigsby impressions at each other.

Bring on episode 2.

Arthur Mullard, too, to complete a TV beast trilogy.

Brundle-Fly

Spudgun

Have enough people got hold of the full set yet for a proper watch-along, or is anyone still looking?

If we're doing it chronologically, then actually I think The Little and Largest Show on Earth comes first (there were two specials before we get to S1E1), and it's much closer to old-fashioned variety entertainment than a sketch show. How good are you expecting it to be? It has its moments, to be fair, though my biggest laugh was an unintentional one that didn't involve L&L. It was during the Star Wars dance
Spoiler alert
when the disco version of the Mos Eisley cantina tune started
[close]
. I don't know what it says about me, but the combination of that and the dancing girls just did it for me and I absolutely lost it.

I don't know how I feel about the comedy 'cover versions' (
Spoiler alert
Laurel and Hardy; Wilson, Keppel and Betty
[close]
) that are neither parodies nor tributes, either. There are some well-observed mannerisms, but it doesn't seem to be done with much heart. I thought it was funny when Syd came on alone to chat with Marti Caine - "Oh, good for Syd," I thought to myself, "He's going to take centre stage for a bit." And then Marti basically turns into the Eddie of the act and dominates the conversation and delivers all the jokes. That die was cast was particularly early.

It's entertaining enough, though, in the sense that if they'd done precisely one of these things per year for forty years and literally nothing else, then they'd have probably become part of the Christmas tradition and people would talk about how underrated Little and Large were and how they should have been given their own series. Unfortunately for them, the BBC gave them 11 series, which was more than enough ammunition to carve the legacy they've ended up with.

Glebe

From Ken Loach to Big Brother: the twisted minds behind Inside No 9 on their influences.

QuoteShearsmith: It's a very [Barefoot in the Park playwright] Neil Simon scenario. It's also quite particular to the 80s comedy that we grew up with: Little and Large.

And note the inclusion of Syd & Eddie as jockeys in the heading picture!

jobotic

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 10, 2021, 10:29:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C6_6n7o7PI

Probably old news

Not even one "this is proper comedy you couldn't do that nowadays I hate blacks" comment. Desolation.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mr Banlon on April 24, 2021, 08:54:38 PM
The outside bit was filmed here : https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5128675,-0.3071909,3a,75y,138.12h,91.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srjNWGUTLaBoJIou0H4X02w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Makes sense. They were probably filming the series at Ealing Studios.  The producer may have said, "Boys. We need some filler The episodes are running short by four minutes. Go and patronise some 'civvies' and make'em look like cunts. If it works for Esther..."

George White

Quote from: Spudgun on April 24, 2021, 06:59:27 PM
Have enough people got hold of the full set yet for a proper watch-along, or is anyone still looking?

If we're doing it chronologically, then actually I think The Little and Largest Show on Earth comes first (there were two specials before we get to S1E1), and it's much closer to old-fashioned variety entertainment than a sketch show. How good are you expecting it to be? It has its moments, to be fair, though my biggest laugh was an unintentional one that didn't involve L&L. It was during the Star Wars dance
Spoiler alert
when the disco version of the Mos Eisley cantina tune started
[close]
. I don't know what it says about me, but the combination of that and the dancing girls just did it for me and I absolutely lost it.

Reminded of the Two Ronnies having a Star Wars disco dance number - to the tune of Born Free.

Glebe

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 24, 2021, 09:03:11 PM
Makes sense. They were probably filming the series at Ealing Studios.  The producer may have said, "Boys. We need some filler The episodes are running short by four minutes. Go and patronise some 'civvies' and make'em look like cunts. If it works for Esther..."

Actually, it may have been because ​their producer Michael Hurll included similar vox pops in his earlier, Saturday night BBC1 Cilla Black series. Given Hurll's reputation as a randy little sod, one might conjecture as to which of Foxy Feeling he may have availed himself.

Cut and pasted it ages ago on this thread, but it really is true that The Stage once claimed that the pair had pioneered alternative comedy, on the grounds that in their early years they had been "more like today's Hale and Pace" and "even a little blue".