Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jake Thingray on April 27, 2021, 10:20:19 PM
it really is true that The Stage once claimed that the pair had pioneered alternative comedy, on the grounds that in their early years they had been "more like today's Hale and Pace" and "even a little blue".

The very thought of Syd and Eddie "doing blue" is utterly horrific.

Glebe

Thread has over 1/4 million views now, yay!

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 28, 2021, 02:33:41 AM

"Eddie, what does it sound like when Linda Lovelace starts her car?"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 28, 2021, 02:33:41 AM

As the story goes, blue comedy double act, McGinnis & Mead went to a house party at The Krankies one night and it was Jeanette who gave them their stage name for some reason or other.

derek stitt

Page 69 and you are talking about the possibility of little and large being in their own version of the Leather Joy Boys. Sometimes it is good to be alive.

non capisco

Quote from: Spudgun on April 24, 2021, 06:59:27 PM
Have enough people got hold of the full set yet for a proper watch-along, or is anyone still looking?
If we're doing it chronologically, then actually I think The Little and Largest Show on Earth comes first (there were two specials before we get to S1E1), and it's much closer to old-fashioned variety entertainment than a sketch show. How good are you expecting it to be? It has its moments, to be fair, though my biggest laugh was an unintentional one that didn't involve L&L. It was during the Star Wars dance
Spoiler alert
when the disco version of the Mos Eisley cantina tune started
[close]
. I don't know what it says about me, but the combination of that and the dancing girls just did it for me and I absolutely lost it.

Ha ha, same here. There's the added factor that it was broadcast on 27th December 1977, the same day Star Wars was released in UK cinemas, so no-one in the audience would have had any familiarity with a note of that music. Just watching a generic TV dance troupe doing an ungainly routine to some flapper jazz tinged "disco" out of nowhere.

Catalogue Trousers

Well, apart from the fact that the Star Wars hype machine had been running in the UK for several months by then and the Meco disco/funk version had been a decent-sized chart hit in the UK already, anyway...

non capisco

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 01, 2021, 06:23:08 PM
Well, apart from the fact that the Star Wars hype machine had been running in the UK for several months by then and the Meco disco/funk version had been a decent-sized chart hit in the UK already, anyway...

Oh, fair enough. I stand corrected.

So people bought that medley in their droves before the film had even come out? That's even more strange!

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 24, 2021, 08:43:02 PM
GOLD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSWj0uBWBXw&t=2s

That lad at 1:26, you can just tell he would have been a complete hardcase thicko bully wanker at school. Does a shit chicken impression and then something in his borstal of a brain snaps at the sight of innocent Syd in his swotty prefect's glasses, so he just pushes him for no reason.

petril

fucking hell, if you ever needed to sum up Eddie Large at his peak, it's the one after the probable bully. just no room to let the guy just have a go with the basic impression, needing to join in and show it up asap.

at least he didn't break out the boot polish and try to play Commander Binks

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on May 02, 2021, 01:13:57 AM
That lad at 1:26, you can just tell he would have been a complete hardcase thicko bully wanker at school. Does a shit chicken impression and then something in his borstal of a brain snaps at the sight of innocent Syd in his swotty prefect's glasses, so he just pushes him for no reason.

Yeah, I bet he's called Julian.

bomb_dog

The Rigsby impressions were suitably over the top and reminded me of Richie stood on the table in Bottom, clearing the room with his impression.

Even when talking to the general public, Syd isn't allowed to speak much.

non capisco

The kid who does Frank Spencer at 2'43" actually made me laugh out loud, so he's one up on Little and Large.

Glebe

There's another video on YouTube I can't find of Syd & Eddie doing something similar with a summer crowd on a beach and displaying more of a natural rapport.

Quote from: bomb_dog on May 02, 2021, 09:13:50 PMThe Rigsby impressions were suitably over the top and reminded me of Richie stood on the table in Bottom, clearing the room with his impression.

Or is it Reg Varney? ;)

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on May 02, 2021, 01:13:57 AM
Looks like a Millwall hooligan from the 70s : https://youtu.be/ighcTmfAfr4?t=1051

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 02, 2021, 11:14:07 PM
Looks like a Millwall hooligan from the 70s : https://youtu.be/ighcTmfAfr4?t=1051
Ha. Legend 27-year-old, didn't turn up for his wedding because he'd rather be watching Millwall and cracking heads with his 16-year-old best friend who's also a hooligan. (Left school when his best friend was 3? Popular lad.)

Gary

After originally posting this eight years ago and loving the fact that so many people enjoyed Cruising With The Stars, I'm happy to return with news of Debi Jones. About two years ago, I was doing occasional voluntary work in a local charity furniture shop. I nearly shat myself in glee when, one glorious morning, in walked Debi herself, dressed like she was due to attend a provincial Rotary Club function. Obviously I immediately made myself available to service Ms Jones and was quizzed for several minutes on vintage desks. Ms Jones needed a desk for her large study in her large house. How do I know her study and house were large? She told me. Several times. Ms Jones then produced a blank card and Parker pen, like they give away to people who buy low-quality life insurance products on daytime TV, writing her number down with instructions to telephone her immediately should a desk meeting her specifications come into the shop.

She was very pleasant in that way that middle-class people are when they need something from someone they percieve as an inferior. The phone number got tossed. Yes, I was tempted to prank her in the middle of the night from a phone box. No, I didn't.

I originally came back here to read the thread - never thought it'd still be going! Respect.

Quote from: Gary on November 28, 2013, 10:42:33 PM
This is one of the most beautifully tragic things I have ever seen, on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vd2W-eXISc

Morrison Lard

It's a shame you never asked her why that youtube channel made the videos of Gary Gizmo and Hardy & Laurel private.

Fish that card out the bin and give her a bell later. Thanks!

DrGreggles

bomb_dog

Yes - first couple of series anyway. Just got those so far in case it's so funny that I die laughing and I don't want to give my estate even more to dispose of.

Waiting for the watch-along to start before I dive in. A problem shared is a problem halved.

DrGreggles

Glebe

Those Cruising with the stars vids are like lost treasure... the denizens of CaB whisper legends of them.

Alberon

Morrison Lard

I was kindly given a link to a L&L treasure trove by a CaBBer[nb]you can PM me if you want the link, was told not to share publicly[/nb], and in episode S04E03 Roy Jay is a guest.

Spook.
Slither.

Barney Sloane

Is a watchalong on the cards then? I'd be up for it.

bomb_dog

I felt compelled to jump ahead and watch Roy 'Fucking' Jay with our pals, and I think they must have worked out the 'sketch' between the BBC car park and the stage door. It's basically a bit of R'F'Js stand-up, then our Eddeh turns up dressed the same and repeating his act alongside him, 'slither's and 'spook's in-place. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I should have known better.

'you'll all be doing it tomorrow!'.... Eddeh is sort of doing an approximation of it right now.

Watch-a-long s01e01 this week then?