Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:22:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badaids

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 16, 2021, 06:01:43 PM
I was kindly given a link to a L&L treasure trove by a CaBBer[nb]you can PM me if you want the link, was told not to share publicly[/nb], and in episode S04E03 Roy Jay is a guest.

Spook.
Slither.

State of that jumper. 3 colours beige.

The Karen Carpenter meets Rab C Nesbitt bit in that feels a bit of a left field combination.

Glebe

Then there's Dolly bouncing the guys away with her boobs (and pointing at them in case you didn't get that it was all about the boobs). The Ruby Wax is more like Sharon Osbourne.

non capisco

Flashback to halcyon pre-plague days where everyone in this thread was scratching their heads wondering what the giddy fuck the bit where Eddie says 'Babaloo chocolate' meant. We'll have to settle on that Bobby McFerrin Dairy Milk advert because there's no way you can ask Eddie Large about it now. Unless Syd kept detailed production notes.

Glebe

Thanks for those, Bombers!

Quote from: non capisco on May 25, 2021, 01:00:30 PMFlashback to halcyon pre-plague days where everyone in this thread was scratching their heads wondering what the giddy fuck the bit where Eddie says 'Babaloo chocolate' meant. We'll have to settle on that Bobby McFerrin Dairy Milk advert because there's no way you can ask Eddie Large about it now. Unless Syd kept detailed production notes.

I'm almost 100% that's what it was meant to be NC. Definitely remember that ad as an adolescent and it sounds like it to me!

jenna appleseed

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: bomb_dog on May 25, 2021, 09:03:11 PM
Some interesting photos on Twitter.

a fresh-faced Eddie

Is that really Syd? It doesn't look like him.

QuoteLittle bit of politics

Peter Cook: 'Selfishly, I'll probably vote Tory.'  *CaB implodes*

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Cook used to write a column for The Daily Mail, that's common knowledge. It wasn't a particularly reactionary column, he took the piss in usual Cook style, but he still hoovered up that sweet Mail dollar.

The Billy Connolly quote in Louis' Twitter thread made me laugh.

Alberon

That was about as bad as I was expecting. Blackface and homophobia.

This is what happens when you let Syd do more than just stand there. Maybe Eddie was saving us all those years.

Brundle-Fly

Interesting that they were granted the tune and allowed to change the lyrics.

Gulftastic

Looking for something else, brought me to this astonishing skit from Russ Abbot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ttcsDRfBPM&t=16m10s

Fucking hell.

Video Game Fan 2000

I knew what that'd be without clicking. Baffles me he's not in blackface. The whole setup and he was clearly worried about himself looking bad. What warped reasoning brought him to the conclusion it'd be OK so long as he himself didn't black up? One decision and it goes from "blacking up in pop group parody" (bad, stupid but nearly everyone in light entertainment did it ) to "guy with pop star ambitions has literal minstrel act back him on stage"

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 03, 2021, 07:11:12 PM
Looking for something else, brought me to this astonishing skit from Russ Abbot:

Fucking hell.

Spike yer great clumsy berk, I said back up, not black up.
Sorry, Ted.

badaids

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 03, 2021, 07:11:12 PM

Fucking hell.

Comments underneath that clip.

Fucking hell.

George White

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 03, 2021, 07:21:40 PM
I knew what that'd be without clicking. Baffles me he's not in blackface. The whole setup and he was clearly worried about himself looking bad. What warped reasoning brought him to the conclusion it'd be OK so long as he himself didn't black up? One decision and it goes from "blacking up in pop group parody" (bad, stupid but nearly everyone in light entertainment did it ) to "guy with pop star ambitions has literal minstrel act back him on stage"
Justin Gee's a bit Fadanoid.

Video Game Fan 2000

Face like what you'd see if you stood inside of a toby jug.

kalowski

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 03, 2021, 07:21:40 PM
He's not in blackface because... and it pains me to say this... because he "went out in the British rain" and looked like that when he returned. In other words the story is that a black man went out and the rain "washed" his black skin off. That's the joke. "Joke".

Video Game Fan 2000

Fuck me I listened to the lyrics. Has Ben Wallers ever covered it?

Its amazing when you see clips like that go around and you make some assumption for the context and it invariably manages to be worse than you imagined.

Glebe

steve98

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 03, 2021, 09:47:19 PM
Fuck me I listened to the lyrics. Has Ben Wallers ever covered it?

Its amazing when you see clips like that go around and you make some assumption for the context and it invariably manages to be worse than you imagined.

I bet there was originally a 3rd verse focusing, not on his face or his hands, but ... his dick (It shrank in the rain, probably) - How could there not be? But the censor said No.

Easily the worst piece of TV (or real-life) I've ever seen.

willbo

Does anyone remember a late 80s Two Ronnies Christmas Special where they did an evil Pinocchio with lazer eyes? That really screwed me up ...I thought about it for years afterwards (I was about 7 or so). I watched it on a small black and white tv in the dining room while my parents were talking with friends late at night (I believe it was new years eve or roundabouts so they were having a late dinner party). I thought it was a real old horror film and I was a big fan of the Disney film, so I was really disturbed.

badaids

Quote from: willbo on June 03, 2021, 10:32:05 PM
Does anyone remember a late 80s Two Ronnies Christmas Special where they did an evil Pinocchio with lazer eyes? That really screwed me up ...I thought about it for years afterwards (I was about 7 or so). I watched it on a small black and white tv in the dining room while my parents were talking with friends late at night (I believe it was new years eve or roundabouts so they were having a late dinner party). I thought it was a real old horror film and I was a big fan of the Disney film, so I was really disturbed.

I do remember this, but I have to tell you it wasn't The Two Ronnies Christmas Special is was a Panorama Christmas Special.  And they never caught the evil Pinocchio and it is still on the loose to this day, where you live.

non capisco

Quote from: willbo on June 03, 2021, 10:32:05 PM

It was the final Two Ronnies sketch from their last episode proper, Christmas Day 1987. My main memory of it is not being able to hear a word because my sister was repeatedly playing this queasy sounding cheap keyboard demo tune over the top of it. And also my dad having to explain to her that the fake sequels they read out at the end didn't mean it was coming back next week, ahaha you six year old idiot.

willbo

maybe it being the final sketch added to the sad/spooky energy I was picking up as a kid. I remember it being much more disturbing than it actually was. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that I was watching a repeat of the special, possibly new years eve, 1989 or 1990 (I wasn't in the UK 86-88 so I couldn't have seen the first broadcast)

Video Game Fan 2000

"The matches strike back" was scary as a kid.

There was also a creepy one that aired on Christmas where the ending "joke" involved a poltergeist spelling "I'll be back" in the lead character's dead wife's ashes. Very festive! Hope it wasn't originally a Christmas special segment. I saw it again a few years back and fuck me what a misogynist piece of trash, even by 1980s standards. This Gerald Wiley character seems a bit rum as you all say, I hope he wasn't in a prominent position on the staff to act on his deep seating issues with women.