Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenna appleseed

jenna appleseed

Probably already posted but it appeared on Curious British Telly's twitter

I'm now hoping against hope for the total lack of existence of Syd&Eddie slash.

Mr Banlon

Is that the Windsor Davies cupboard behind them ?

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Mr Banlon on August 09, 2021, 01:28:02 AM
Is that the Windsor Davies cupboard behind them ?

probably. (in the twitter comments people suggested the other act were next door and the bolt was to keep The Krankies out.)

Alberon

Quote from: jenna appleseed on August 09, 2021, 12:57:12 AM

The laws of the internet say there must be such a thing. But I'm not going to search for it.

I think that photo has been posted before, but nothing wrong with putting it up again. It's one of many shots where it makes Syd's glasses look like those joke ones with eyes drawn on them.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quite the bulge in Eddie's trousers, there. Does Syd have genitals? It seems unlikely.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Alberon on August 09, 2021, 06:37:36 PM
The laws of the internet say there must be such a thing. But I'm not going to search for it.
A minute on Archive Of Our Own isn't turning anything up. I did find quite a bit of Russian Little Britain fanfic but no idea how explicit it is.

gilbertharding

Speaking of which...
Quote from: jenna appleseed on July 17, 2021, 10:45:22 PM
Stolen from Slurp Sloo & Tops comic/magazine

What's going on with Syd's crotch there?

Jackson K Pollock

I've actually just finished watching the last two series myself over the last couple of months and - completely coincidentally - it was often perfectly in sync with the BBC4 repeats of Top of the Pops. I saw The Railway Children one Friday night and had absolutely no memory of them whatsoever, then a couple of days later they popped up on my L&L rewatch and I thought "ah, they must be doing the rounds this week" before realizing that no, I'm just wasting my adulthood wallowing in murky early-90s nostalgia. When Danni Minogue popped up in an episode for a song *and* a sketch, I was practically Father Jack "is that gobshite never off the air"-ing to myself.

Anyway, if I'd had the time/inclination/patience, I wish I'd kept a list of the handful of genuinely good sketches they had. Not much of an obituary, I realize, but I honestly think that over the 70-odd episodes they made, there's easily enough material for a really great 20 minute special.

The last ever episode is a bit of a curiosity for a train carriage sketch where they're discussing Britain's imminent arrival into the EU, although it's hard to gather any real political perspective or viewpoint from the time as the whole exercise is mainly just an excuse for
Spoiler alert
Eddie to wheel out a load of dodgy accents, naturally
[close]

The sheer amount of blacking up is just incredible. Seriously - almost every single episode. I genuinely had to stop watching the show on the big TV after a while for fear of my wife walking in. Different times, I suppose, but yikes...

I wish I'd made a note of the episode (one of the first of the 1990 series, I think), but there was one absolutely belting sketch that had me laughing almost all the way through - a take-off of the Michael J. Fox ad where the hot neighbour comes round to borrow some Pepsi. Swap the light-footed Fox for Eddie plunging through the roof of a car he's attempting to leapfrog over and you know you're onto a winner. Not to mention the AMAZING twist ending:
Spoiler alert
Syd gets the girl!
[close]

I found the mega mixes largely interminable, to be honest, and by the last season they were pretty much starting and ending the show with them, but the one thing you can say is that Eddie genuinely gave it his all in every single thing he did. And Syd was... also there...

Could only really make it through a couple of the late 70s eps, as - being born in 1980 - the overall aesthetic/nostalgia value just wasn't there for me and it really was too bleak to bare after a while. That said, I never tired of the "on location" skits where members of the public would consistently outshine Syd (and often be about as good as Eddie). If I had a show on prime time BBC/ITV I'd probably be wary of making it clear that almost literally anyone could do it as well as me, but these boys obviously had no ego.

It's a shame we never got a communal watch-along going, a la Derek, but I'm just about to make a start on the 1989 series if anyone's interested?

Oh, and spam (of this here parish) has also just written a terrific 5,000-word opus on the final series on his Patreon page which is well worth checking out if you're signed up to that (and I think it'll be available for free in a couple of weeks even if you're not).

Thanks so much to the CABber who hooked me up with these, not to mention everyone else who's contributed to this thread over the last - eek - 9 years! It's a flipping fascinating document and I can't wait to work my way backwards to the Roy "Spook!" Jay appearance over the next several months!

Gradual Decline

Glebe

First two links are broken for me, but glad to hear the disturbing Zippy man is doing well! You'll be telling us Debi Jones has her own prime time show next (first guest: Gary Gizmo)!

pigamus

Indomitable Spirit

Glebe

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on September 06, 2021, 01:20:17 PMsome fantastic avatars in there for anyone fancying a bit of a change

I'm having this one...

Oh fuck me straight to the last post that made you LOL thread!

kalowski

QuoteSyd as Chuck Berry (blacked up, and looking like a sleep paralysis demon)
Utter genius.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: kalowski on September 06, 2021, 06:28:01 PM
Utter genius.
Agreed.
QuoteSyd runs on the spot while Eddie thrusts a Cumberland finger at us
Every so often this afternoon, that phrase a Cumberland finger has floated back into my awareness and made me grin broadly.

Replies From View

Quote from: jenna appleseed on August 09, 2021, 12:57:12 AM

Syd's glasses are so thick they prevent any skin beneath them from becoming tanned.

Grotesque.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: pigamus on September 06, 2021, 01:01:33 PM
https://spam.wordpress.com/2021/09/05/little-and-large-the-final-series/

He suffers so you don't have to

This was like getting free therapy for childhood trauma.

L&L final series was my generations equivalent to Elsagate youtube videos.

Gurke and Hare

I'd forgotten that House Party had people from The Bill turning up in character. Weird.

The Bumlord

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 06, 2021, 01:24:43 PM

Haven't checked in here for a while and I'm faced with this abomination.

That said, there's nothing 'little' about Syd there!

I mean his cock.

kalowski

Glebe

QuoteThis week's finale is very exciting for me, with a bat and spooky skull, and the legend LITTLE AND LARGE'S MONSTER MEGA MIX

As an (almost) Halloween treat, could some kind soul please upload the Monster Mega Mix to YouTube or that, for I much desire to see it. Just for Syd in action as Freddy alone. And you can't go wrong with an L&L Mega Mix in any case.

Gurke and Hare

This Youtube clip has a roundup near the start of the next day's BBC1, including a bit from our boys which is an absolute clunker even by their standards.

robhug

If there was a channel that just repeated exactly what was on 40 years ago, I'd most probably watch it the most out of all the myriad of channels available now.

dead, nonce, nonce, dead, dementia, dead, fuckin ell still alive, etc

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I would genuinely love to watch Barry Norman's "sometimes sexy and often violent" overview of '70s cinema. Please repeat that, BBC Four. Cheers.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The very first episode of " Hi-De-hi!" being flagged at the start, there.