Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little & Large Xmas special 1980. Extraordinary.

Started by Brundle-Fly, December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Jumble Cashback on December 26, 2012, 01:57:57 AM
Funny, isn't it, how Noel only ever pranked minor, D-list celebrities, rather than, say, Sean Connery or someone?

I'm going to be Mr. Unoriginal and say that Morris did the same. Morris spent much of his career battling the Edmonds within. He tried to differentiate himself from the prime-time funster by doing a dark and edgy sketch about him going on a killing spree. But he was fooling no one.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Deader Kata Mosser on December 26, 2012, 04:56:17 AM
LOL!

But... wouldn't the ice cream man have simply said 'no, I'm obviously not going to fill up that traffic cone with ice-cream'?

Why? That's not how capitalism works. It's a meat market, just ask Laurie Penny.

QuoteBut as per my example, would not Benny Hill the Bank Manager not have hidden the key to his bank under the doormat?

The real issue, which you and your amateurish would-be comedy critic chums failed to spot, is that the central gag there (a bank is run in a ridiculously insecure and lax manner) is pinched from a long, talky NTNOCN sketch. We could say that Benny did a better job, by stripping away all the bits where Mel was talking in a serious voice to Griff/Rowan (can't remember who; Pamela was a voiceless clerk in the performance), thus showing he has a superior understanding of the essence of comedy, rather than the posh graduates who worked for John Lloyd.

QuoteCould Vic & Bob, or many others made the 'traffic cone ice-cream' sketch a work of fabuolus surreal whimsy? Maybe it was, it sounds funny now. Traffic cone, LOLRANDOM! Cos he's fat!

No it was never attempting such a thing. It was an internal critique of the consumer/producer relation under late capitalism. No whimsy in sight.

QuoteNo. It's just Litttle & Large being shite. But who would erase them from history? Only a mad cunt. They serve a purpose. To show how weird people from the past are.

Praxis.

neveragain

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on December 26, 2012, 01:13:52 PM
The real issue, which you and your amateurish would-be comedy critic chums failed to spot, is that the central gag there (a bank is run in a ridiculously insecure and lax manner) is pinched from a long, talky NTNOCN sketch. We could say that Benny did a better job, by stripping away all the bits where Mel was talking in a serious voice to Griff/Rowan (can't remember who; Pamela was a voiceless clerk in the performance), thus showing he has a superior understanding of the essence of comedy, rather than the posh graduates who worked for John Lloyd.

It's just a different way of doing the gag, surely? I can't recall which NTNOCN sketch you mean but it seems like you're suggesting they didn't understand how to do comedy, which any number of their skits would prove incorrect. {And was Benny still going when they were on? Surely they would be pinching it from him, if there was any actual pinching involved rather than just an overlap of ideas}

Jumble Cashback

Quote from: Default to the negative on December 26, 2012, 06:10:07 AM
I'm going to be Mr. Unoriginal and say that Morris did the same. Morris spent much of his career battling the Edmonds within. He tried to differentiate himself from the prime-time funster by doing a dark and edgy sketch about him going on a killing spree. But he was fooling no one.

Well, it was a little different when Morris did it.  He offered the opportunity for them to make fools of themselves by showing that they would endorse/decry anything without question, so long as someone told them it was good/bad.  There was a point to this.  And the celebrities had no-one to blame but themselves.  They usually knew they were on camera and, for the most part, were directly addressing it.

Edmond's trapped people in a situation and drew the humour from their frustration.   This is just exploitation.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Deader Kata Mosser on December 24, 2012, 11:39:09 PM
Big hit for Fiddler's Dram in the 70s. Probably on YouTube. Bit like All Around My Hat by Steeler's Wheel.

Fiddler's Dram version
Jasper Carrot version

The Jasper Carrot one's excellent.

Gurke and Hare

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on December 24, 2012, 05:47:03 PM
It's the one about "old horror movies" that hasn't fully left my brain since. Was that even suppose to be funny, or was it just supposed to be nostaligic?

Eddie seems to be reading his lyrics off a crib board. It's your Xmas special, learn this short song, you lazy git. At 20:02

Gradual Decline

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Default to the negative on December 22, 2012, 03:15:51 AM
You see a lot of men who look a bit like Eddie Large and they don't like having it pointed out to them. What's weird is how that type of face always goes with that type of hair and those beady eyes. They're practically a race.

Has anyone noticed those slitty eyed fuckers with goofy teeth as well?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on December 27, 2012, 09:05:50 PM
Has anyone noticed those slitty eyed fuckers with goofy teeth as well?

Who? BBC DJ siblings, Andy and Liz Kershaw?

trabuch

(not) interesting fact number 367. I sold a copy of  Cliff Richard's 80s Christmas album to Sid Little in a Reading Our Price. He looked truly dyspeptic. Eddie large bought The travelling wilburys. And for that reason alone, I will always think of him as "the talented one".

elnombre

Apologies for the bump. I'm in a masochistic mood & was just wondering if anyone managed to grab the Christmas special and would mind re-upping it?

Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch

Quote from: Jemble Fred on December 22, 2012, 01:03:23 PM
I very strongly recall finding the Benny Hill shows my whole family sat around watching (particularly at Xmas, in my memory) utterly revolting. Almost nightmarish, all the sped up film, the chasing girls in tacky lingerie, the slapping the little bald man's head, for some reason everything about Benny made me feel ill even when I was only 3 or 4.

I loved Cannon & Ball though, especially 'The Boys In Blue', so I wasn't that discerning.

Leaving the "utterly pedestrian" feud aside for a moment, you really are a fucking horrible individual, aren't you?

*shakes head, sadly*

neveragain

He doesn't like the same thing as meeeee. Mumm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

non capisco

My Dad nursed a seething molten hatred for Little and Large yet would watch them every Saturday night without fail, commenting throughout how little he was enjoying it. As the last episode of 'Derek' drew to its miserable close I did think 'Ah, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree'.

Lyfjaberg

Quote from: non capisco on July 09, 2013, 07:37:16 PM
As the last episode of 'Derek' drew to its miserable close I did think 'Ah, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree'.

I missed the final of the series, but I guess it makes sense that Gervais' character was like a modern day Newton. Cheers for the info!

garbed_attic

"And I find it kind of funny. I find it kind of sad."

Mute the left when it feels appropriate.

http://youtubedoubler.com/92cB

neveragain

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch on July 09, 2013, 05:50:54 PM
Leaving the "utterly pedestrian" feud aside for a moment, you really are a fucking horrible individual, aren't you?

*shakes head, sadly*

Don't worry, your return appeared to be the trigger for him to go for good. And i for one will not miss his deep knowledge of comedy, enthusiastic engagement with the board and the rest. I'm glad he's replaced by the likes of you bumping six month old threads in order to insult people. Twat.

Theremin

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 10, 2013, 11:14:28 AM
Don't worry, your return appeared to be the trigger for him to go for good. And i for one will not miss his deep knowledge of comedy, enthusiastic engagement with the board and the rest. I'm glad he's replaced by the likes of you bumping six month old threads in order to insult people. Twat.

There are like 5 or 6 awesome people who've been driven away by his return. It's quite upsetting.

Utter Shit

As much as he is an absolute dickhead, anyone who jumps ship simply because they don't like another poster is a bit of a gimp. I imagine there are other issues at play.

neveragain

His behaviour is extremely tiresome though, and like some fifth-rate horror film franchise villain he just keeps coming back. So I for one can understand their decision.

Famous Mortimer

Anyone wants an ignore script so his posts just never show up, PM me and I'll sort you out.

Quote from: Theremin on July 10, 2013, 12:35:02 PM
There are like 5 or 6 awesome people who've been driven away by his return.

It's Shaggy!  How's Scooby doing?

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on July 09, 2013, 07:37:16 PM
My Dad nursed a seething molten hatred for Little and Large yet would watch them every Saturday night without fail, commenting throughout how little he was enjoying it. As the last episode of 'Derek' drew to its miserable close I did think 'Ah, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree'.

It's probably true of a large chuck of CaB forum folk.. there's so much crud out there, you kind of take pleasure in watching things just so as you can pick them apart and bemoan the collapse of civilisation.

Scuba Diver

Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 10, 2013, 11:14:28 AM
i for one will not miss his deep knowledge of comedy

You can't miss what never existed. Spike Milligan and Benny Hill are shit, yet Blackadder's Christmas Carol is a high watermark of comedy? Fuck off.

elnombre

On the off chance that anyone is interested, apparently Eddie will be making a rare TV appearance tonight on ITV1's All Star Mr and Mrs.

Glebe

Quote from: elnombre on July 14, 2013, 11:25:23 AM
On the off chance that anyone is interested, apparently Eddie will be making a rare TV appearance tonight on ITV1's All Star Mr and Mrs.

No doubt Little will be watching at home, a tear forming in his eye. "What's the matter, love?" asks Ada Little, as Syd breaks down on the couch. "Eddie, Eddie, please forgive me," crys Syd, as he picks up the phone and calls Eddie at home. A heartwarming exchange ensues, with the promise of a reunion and a return to form - "It'll be just like the old days, eh Syd?"

"I'll make you and nice cup of cocoa," smiles Ada through the tears. "Thanks love!" replies Syd, with thumb aloft and a smile breaking through the old crows feet. Things are looking up!