Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pookiesnackenburger (Channel 4 musical comedy, mid-eighties)

Started by 23 Daves, December 26, 2012, 05:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

I don't necessarily expect anyone to have any more information on this, but...

Back in the nineties, a friend of mine who was a comedy nut told me that his particular favourite 'obscure' comedy show - something hardly anybody watched or was aware of at the time - was Pookiesnackenburger.  Created by the Stomp team, it apparently consisted of ridiculous plots and musical parodies. He assured me he would loan me an off-air VHS tape of the series, then he couldn't find it, then we lost touch.

This probably wouldn't even have occurred to me again were it not for me finding a cheap £1 copy of the soundtrack album in a record store in London a few weeks back.  It was issued on the Talkback label, and I can only assume this must have been one of the only 'proper' music albums they put out?  Shorn of the context of the TV series it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and some of the parodies are of a questionable quality (I think "Beach Party" is supposed to be a Beach Boys parody, but it's not that well executed).  Even the British Comedy Guide doesn't have any information at all on this one.

So, did anyone see this, was it any good, and how many obscure one-series comedy shows did Channel 4 take a punt on in the eighties, exactly?

j_u_d_a_s

There was a right on sitcom , Dream Stuffing, produced about 1984.

Turned up at the other place once and I got about 30% through downloading before it was pulled for whatever reason.
Another slightly obscure one was a series called In Exile, about '99-2000ish? Used to be on 4od when it was a paid service but has been scrubbed clear since.

Oh, a quick check for Pookiesnackenburger has thrown this up complete with a full episode! http://guntherspaps.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/pookiesnackenburger-in-hell-bent-1985.html?m=1

kngen

They had a 7in on Stiff Records. It wasn't very good, but not knowing the context of their ouvre until now, it didn't really make much sense to me, much the same as your LP I'd imagine. I reckon it came out around 82/83 so could well predate the TV show, though.

Edit: And here it is - http://www.discogs.com/Pookiesnackenburger-Just-One-Cornetto/master/308350 - yours for five pence. I'm kicking myself for not hanging onto my copy now.

23 Daves

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on December 26, 2012, 05:31:28 PM

Oh, a quick check for Pookiesnackenburger has thrown this up complete with a full episode! http://guntherspaps.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/pookiesnackenburger-in-hell-bent-1985.html?m=1

Brilliant! I couldn't find anything when I searched - possibly because the uploader in question hasn't put "Pookiesnackenburger" anywhere in the title - but this is actually the episode my friend was obsessed with, being a bit of a metaller himself.  It's quite funny in places, but seems a long distance away from being 'genius'.  I suspect it's the kind of thing you'd get more value out of if you're obsessed with Heavy Metal.

All the tracks from this episode are on the album I bought, including the rustic, "Wicker Man" folk parody about Beelzebub, and it has to be said that in these instances they do sound very much like the real deal. You'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from serious recordings if played in a blind test, and it's only the visuals that highlight the comedic intent.  There's another track on there that sounds like a Dexy's Midnight Runners parody, and again it could be the noise of any number of clones from that era.  It's quite good in its own right, actually...

I've managed to rip half the album and I'll probably do the rest eventually. 

Quote from: kngen on December 26, 2012, 05:52:50 PM
They had a 7in on Stiff Records. It wasn't very good, but not knowing the context of their ouvre until now, it didn't really make much sense to me, much the same as your LP I'd imagine. I reckon it came out around 82/83 so could well predate the TV show, though.

Edit: And here it is - http://www.discogs.com/Pookiesnackenburger-Just-One-Cornetto/master/308350 - yours for five pence. I'm kicking myself for not hanging onto my copy now.

Yep, I've got that one on a Stiff Records compilation CD too... it's not much cop.

They morphed into a serious outfit called Yes/No People in the end who had one much-hyped single called "Mr Johnson" which was none-more-eighties, all soulful backing vocals and slick production.  That flopped, then they focussed on hitting dustbins around as Stomp which is obviously what they've done around the West End of London and elsewhere ever since.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Jake Thingray

I'm sure they once did a parody of the work of Gerry Anderson -- whose death has just been announced, as reported in another thread. Little Armadillos was another C4 one from that time that nobody remembers.

The name "Pookiesnackeburger" rang vague bells when I saw this thread title, but I definitely didn't watch it when it was on.

Someone should start a "Dimly Remembered/Long-Since Forgotten Channel 4 Comedy Shows" thread, and we can see how many we can list.

"Murun Buchstansangur" would be my starter for ten.

23 Daves

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on December 26, 2012, 10:44:45 PM

"Murun Buchstansangur" would be my starter for ten.

Something I never actually tuned into Channel 4 wanting to watch or aiming to watch, but for a couple of years they seemed to shove it on whenever there was a freak five-minute gap in the schedules.

As everyone at school noted, it was five minutes of drab, softly-spoken observations without much in the way of proper conclusions.  Well, they didn't put it like that, they just said "Nothing bloody happens".  I've been watching them again on YouTube just now, and I actually have to give the rather harsh verdict that they're a bit rubbish, although I do like the idea of living on the street Murun does for some reason. 

Howj Begg

A claymation series about a gumshoe robot detective with a big square metal jaw.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Howj Begg on December 27, 2012, 01:52:55 AM
A claymation series about a gumshoe robot detective with a big square metal jaw.

Sounds like Dick Spanner PI
Someone's uploaded the whole thing to YouTube too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTJ_saqNRJM

Jake Thingray

And it was another one from the sadly late Mr Anderson.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

New thread required, Shirley ?

I used to love "Little Armadilloes" (directed by Bob Spiers, Goodies fans), but a quick trawl through YouTube earlier this year has shown that time has been not been kind to this show, despite the presence of Jim Steen/Steve Sweeney (or is it the other way round? Can never remember), Helen Lederer, Phil Nice and comedy titan Daniel Peacock. One or two nice gags in there, but it's *very* Channel 4, Circa 1984.# Inspector Frankenstein!#

Also:
"Interference" Fiona Richmond in a see-through blouse is ostensibly presenting a seroius, reflective show of a Saturday eve. But a quick flash of fuzzy screen, and Arnold Brown and other people who I can't remember, but I bet John Dowie was involved, I just fucking bet he was, take over our screens with thier outrageous alternative comedy. Mebbee Arthur Smith was in there, as well. Probably went back to Fiona Richmond right at the end, can't remember, I don't think I actually made it to the end of an entire episode.

"Chance In A Million"- Simon Callow as Simon Chance (not sure about the first name, going all old-skool memory only, no googling for me), getting into all kinds of zany scrapes. Included hamster battering and Brenda Blethyn very often wearing very little, for some reason

"Who Dares Wins"-Unfunny Oxbridge Scum, including Jimmy "He's From Liverpool" Mulville, Rory "I Was An Annoying Cunt Even Then" McGrath, Julia Hills and Phil Pope. And the actor Tony Robinson. HA HA PANDAS.

JesusAndYourBush

The only time I ever heard of "Pookiesnackenburger" was when Kenny Everett got given the word to mime on Give Us A Clue, with hiarious results.

Brundle-Fly

Pookiesnackenburger used to support Madness in the early eighties, performing their brand of zany World music. They were a more sillier 3 Mustaphas 3, if that's possible. I still have rather a soft spot for their album, Dance Party.

I remember the C4 show because involved a skinhead in a green bomber jacket traveling though time and space; so being a skinhead myself then and into sci-fi and comedy, the show covered three bases for me.

My old C4 show nominations? Right To Reply.,A Paul Morley Show and With Out Walls

Deader Kata Mosser

Deader Kata Mosser

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 27, 2012, 02:38:35 PM

"Chance In A Million"- Simon Callow as Simon Chance (not sure about the first name, going all old-skool memory only, no googling for me), getting into all kinds of zany scrapes. Included hamster battering and Brenda Blethyn very often wearing very little, for some reason

"Who Dares Wins"-Unfunny Oxbridge Scum, including Jimmy "He's From Liverpool" Mulville, Rory "I Was An Annoying Cunt Even Then" McGrath, Julia Hills and Phil Pope. And the actor Tony Robinson. HA HA PANDAS.

I liked both of them.

My forgotten 80s Ch4 thing? Naked Yoga. I can't be sure it was Channel Four but boy was I glad I videoed that.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

The correct view of WDW is that it was "hit and miss".

I think the quality chart goes like this:

NTNOCN > Who Dares Wins > Al Fresco.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Deader Kata Mosser on December 28, 2012, 05:57:27 AM
I liked both of them.

My forgotten 80s Ch4 thing? Naked Yoga. I can't be sure it was Channel Four but boy was I glad I videoed that.

26 Bathrooms was the ultimate 80s C4 "did that really exist?" thing.

NB. it did really exist.

Ray Le Otter

"Pushing Up Daisies" is one few remember, with Chris Barrie and Hale and Pace if I've remembered rightly.

No fucker remembers "Rebellious Jukebox" either - another attempt at doing a more edgy TOTP with pathetic results.