Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New All New Wrasslin' Pay Windah

Started by Subtle Mocking, December 29, 2012, 03:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Mocking

Continued from here: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=24059.0

I should have known that this would be a sign of impending apocalypse:

weekender

Of course, what you don't see is the follow up on the phone call when the woman realises that she's ordered a PPV in Q4 (Oct to Dec), which is always a waste of time.

up_the_hampipe

That prankster radio format sounded an awful lot like those Aussie's who caused that woman to kill herself.

But, still, it was a funny idea.

up_the_hampipe

Just been watching some matches from 2012. Watched Sheamus vs. D-Bry from Extreme Rules, which is awesome. Both Lesnar matches because I miss Lesnar, he was a breath of vicious air. Now watching both Punk vs. Bryan matches.

Lesnar vs. Cena has to be my favourite from last year, though. The brutality and intensity was unlike anything else, and it was really what the Extreme Rules pay-per-view promised - extreme!

Subtle Mocking

Yeah, that Lesnar/Cena match was just brutal. Perhaps I'm not particularly happy with the finish, but the overall quality of the match makes up for it. It just goes to show how much effect things like blood can have when they're used sparingly.

up_the_hampipe

I never got the anger towards the finish. Well, I know it's because Cena winning is never ideal, but it worked for the dynamic of the match. The heel dominates, the babyface makes a comeback. Cena was truly "overcoming the odds" in that situation. It's the first time he looked like an underdog in years. I reckon it'd be a bit deflating for the audience if Lesnar had beaten the crap out of Cena then just pinned him and fucked off.

Unoriginal

If the event had been in Boston, that would have probably been the result.

up_the_hampipe

So The Rock is returning tonight to make the show more annoying than usual. But, I'm remaining optimistic that the dirtsheet rumours are true that Brock Lesnar will be starting an angle with Rock by breaking his dumb Hollywood arm.

I miss Brock, he actually made me pay full attention and not want Raw to just be over so I can go to bed.

vrailaine

They kind of killed Brock with that Hunter feud, I feel. Still hope it isn't a rematch with Hunter though, have no interest in him stroking his own ego with the win.

I dunno, I kinda just want mania to not fuck up the Shield, Dolph, Bryan, etc.

kitsofan34

Why is it acceptable to reveal something like that? Not everyone reads the dirt sheets and therefore won't have any idea about Lesnar's return nor the arm break angle [nb]like me.[/nb]

Spiteface

What's going to happen with the Heyman/Punk pairing when Brock comes back? Are we going to have them as trio or will Heyman go back to saying BROCK... LESNAR! in that way only he can, leaving Punk on his own again.

I wouldn't mind them turning Punk face again, to be honest. Bit of a longshot would be a Punk/Rock double turn at the Rumble.  WWE won't do that, and people won't want to be booing Rock.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: vrailaine on January 07, 2013, 09:21:17 PM
I dunno, I kinda just want mania to not fuck up the Shield, Dolph, Bryan, etc.

Exactly. They've done a hell of a job building newer guys over the past year, and it would be a complete shame to waste that by bringing in the ageing part-timers yet again. I really hope that Triple H has retired from wrestling altogether, and as much as I'd like to think Undertaker had retired too, they'll probably bring him back for a match against Cena at WM30.

Really hope The Rock comes up with some better promo material this time around, too. Last year he was doing the equivalent of "who's got the biggest cock".

Quote from: Spiteface on January 07, 2013, 09:24:44 PM
What's going to happen with the Heyman/Punk pairing when Brock comes back? Are we going to have them as trio or will Heyman go back to saying BROCK... LESNAR! in that way only he can, leaving Punk on his own again.

I think it might be similar to how Heyman left Lesnar in 2002, turning Punk face again.

Ja'moke

Quote from: kitsofan34 on January 07, 2013, 09:22:04 PM
Why is it acceptable to reveal something like that? Not everyone reads the dirt sheets and therefore won't have any idea about Lesnar's return nor the arm break angle [nb]like me.[/nb]

I doubt that will actually happen.

I think a Lesnar vs Triple H rematch at Mania is pretty much guaranteed. So I see no reason for them to start a Lesnar/Rock angle out of no where.

spanky

Credit to Rock (who has no real need to be doing this at all any longer), this is his schedule:

1/7 Raw in Tampa, FL
1/8 Smackdown in Miami, FL
1/15 Raw 20th Anniversary in Houston, Texas
1/21 Raw in San Jose, CA
1/22 Smackdown in Sacramento, CA
1/27 WWE Royal Rumble in Phoenix, Arizona
1/28 Raw in Las Vegas
2/11 Raw in Nashville, TN
2/12 Smackdown in Little Rock, Arkansas
2/17 WWE Elimination Chamber PPV in New Orleans
2/18 Raw in Lafayette, Louisiana

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: spanky on January 07, 2013, 09:57:17 PM
Credit to Rock (who has no real need to be doing this at all any longer)

He clearly loves doing it so it's not so much a favour, he loves the ego trip.

Quote from: kitsofan34 on January 07, 2013, 09:22:04 PM

Sorry about that, didn't consider it a spoiler since it's just speculation. Just seemed like a nice scenario.

vrailaine

Quote from: spanky on January 07, 2013, 09:57:17 PM
Credit to Rock (who has no real need to be doing this at all any longer)
I dunno about that, have you ever seen his facebook? The guy is a PR machine, absolutely positive he has long term political aspirations on a scale equal to Arnie.

Plus, his film career has certainly taken a fair bit of a boost since he returned to the WWE. That GI Joe film was pushed back from the middle of the summer last year to this march slot after wasting a ton of money on its marketing already, the studio is putting a lot of faith in his drawing power to be pretty f*cking strong in late March and early April, so its basically his chance to prove that he belongs up there with the top action movie stars and all. The Michael Bay film comes out pretty soon after Mania as well.
...fucking hell, he's in another film in February and Fast Six comes out in May!
but yeah, looks like he's in full on promotion mode for most of the first half of the year, with that many films coming out that close together, you'd think he's after some sort of box office record.

Unoriginal

The camerawork during the Maddox/Heyman segment was the worst i've ever seen in WWE. Was the guy drunk? I'm drunk but christ, that was awful.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 07, 2013, 10:11:04 PM
He clearly loves doing it so it's not so much a favour, he loves the ego trip.

Your indefatigable hatred of The Rock is really bizarre. Ego trip? The WWE needs The Rock waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than The Rock needs WWE right now. They're very keen to have him back in any capacity, and he's returned - maybe not purely out of the goodness of his heart, but nonetheless, he's risking injury and spending a prolonged period of time away from his family to do this.

vrailaine

Thought punk and rock's styles clashed a lot there last night. Punk was given way too much time and rock's schtick came across as kinda dated too

Subtle Mocking

Of course it would appear dated if you did the same thing for 13 years. He's got about 7 times the charisma of most superstars, but he doesn't half repeat himself.

EDIT: Also, I really hope the "Cookie Puss" thing doesn't stick. Shows how lame Rock can be with his insults, and to saddle one of the best in the entire company with that moniker is kinda shitty.

Spiteface

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on January 08, 2013, 12:18:57 PM
EDIT: Also, I really hope the "Cookie Puss" thing doesn't stick. Shows how lame Rock can be with his insults, and to saddle one of the best in the entire company with that moniker is kinda shitty.

This.

I just found that entire exchange on youtube, and I just think the Rock came off as a giant prick, as he did last year.  I was BEGGING for CM Punk to just shoot on the fucker, either physically or verbally.

I don't really blame The Rock though, more WWE bending over backwards for him every time he shows up, then leaves everyone else to keep shit ticking over until he pops up again.  It shouldn't be this way, yet WWE has allowed it to get to the point where it relies more and more on stunt-booking for big PPVs.

Ja'moke

I thought Raw overall was very average, but the Punk/Rock promo was brilliant. Punk was the best he's been in ages, and although The Rock was still cracking "jokes", he showed more intensity towards the end of that promo than his entire year long build up with Cena last year.

kitsofan34

Cena wiped the floor with him last year and Punk did it again last night. The Rock's shtick is just sooooo tired. Christ I hope he loses at Royal Rumble.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on January 08, 2013, 11:35:52 AM
Your indefatigable hatred of The Rock is really bizarre. Ego trip? The WWE needs The Rock waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than The Rock needs WWE right now. They're very keen to have him back in any capacity, and he's returned - maybe not purely out of the goodness of his heart, but nonetheless, he's risking injury and spending a prolonged period of time away from his family to do this.

Obviously, I'm not saying they don't need him, or that he needs them at all. I'm saying he's doing this all on his on terms because he wants do it. If he wasn't interested, he'd stay a movie star. As another poster pointed out, it's also really helping his movie career which was at a fairly neutral level before. He does make sacrifices, but it all evens out for the perks he gets from it.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 08, 2013, 04:54:55 PM
It's also really helping his movie career which was at a fairly neutral level before.

Hmm. Yeah, he'd been in a few stinkers, but he's also been in a number of successful movies (in some cases tremendously successful) and he got signed to do a number of movies slightly more upmarket than his previous fare before he'd even returned to WWE programming, which are currently in production or are scheduled to be released soon. WWE has nowhere near the cultural impact it had when Rock was at his peak, its viewing figures are consistently hovering above the toilet and even Rock's return didn't do that much to pop television ratings or B-show PPV rates. I fail to see how Rock's return to WWE programming - which basically entails dragging less than a million people back to watch the product, and to my knowledge got much less mainstream coverage than Punk running out with the belt - can make a substantive impact on his movie career.

EDIT: Hunter puts over Rock huge in this clip, which is odd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq6huo-6ZTo

Pepotamo1985

I'm not saying that he needs them at all.

it's really helping his movie career which was at a fairly neutral level before.

vrailaine

Its not as though he's doing it for free either, he's taking a substantial percentage of the profit. He's effectively being paid a ton to do promotion that he'd have to do regardless.

Yeah though, he definitely needed those years away to rid himself of the stench of wwe.

Ja'moke

It still gives an extra boost to the product though. It may not be huge, but the buys for Mania last year were a fairly significant increase. And if having The Rock on a show brings in more money and more viewers it can only be better for the rest of the guys on the roster, who will also make more money and have more eyes on them.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: vrailaine on January 08, 2013, 06:05:14 PM
Its not as though he's doing it for free either

Yeah, I imagine he's pulling in an exceptionally tidy packet from his appearance (I specifically said he's not doing this purely out the goodness of his heart earlier). So what? He's one of the biggest wrestling stars of all time, made Vince and the company a ton of fucking money back in his prime, and he is making Vince and the company (fellow workers included) a ton of money by returning. And this is at a time when the E is in a state of apparently serious decline, with buyrates, audiences, ratings and merch sales WAY down (to varying degrees) on where they were even 5/6 years ago (when they were hardly at their peak). I do think Rocky is giving the WWE a tremendous hand by appearing - you can make arguments about how the Fed should be pushing existing talent (they should) and/or they should be using people on the brink of stardom properly (they should), but given how the WWE is apparently incapable of doing either, this is a more than bearable compromise. Bear in mind that Rock's appearance at Wrestlemania presumably played a reasonably significant part in bringing in the biggest WM buyrate of all time last year (and the WM before that, where Rocky was an integral part of E programming in the weeks prior to its transmission and the PPV was basically promoted purely on his name, brought in the 4th highest number of WM buys ever, following on the heels of a bad year for the product, despite an astonishingly shit card and the lowest WM buyrate in 7 years in 2010).

he's taking a substantial percentage of the profit.

Reference?

He's effectively being paid a ton to do promotion that he'd have to do regardless.

Again, as I said earlier, I fail to see how Rock's return to WWE programming - which basically entails dragging less than a million people back to watch the wrestling product, and to my knowledge gets much less mainstream coverage than Punk running out with the belt did in 2011 - can make a substantive impact on his movie career.