Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks season 3?

Started by Stone Cold Jane Austen, January 03, 2013, 04:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Read about this yesterday, assumed it was bullshit but the rumours appear to be picking up a bit of traction: http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/192846/david-lynch-reportedly-in-talks-to-reboot-twin-peaks/

Now, I love the show, it's one of my all time favourites and usually I'm quite averse to things I love being 'brought back' (The Stone Roses, Ghostbusters 3 etc...), but this I could see myself getting excited about. I think because the second series was flawed in parts and was abruptly fizzled out, revisiting it doesn't feel too much like sacrilege. As long as Lynch, Frost and MacLachlan are involved it'll be worth a look. Agent Cooper is one of the most fascinating main characters a show has ever had and I'm sure Maclachlan can slip him on like an old pair of shoes. Just plonk him anywhere and it'll be good telly.

Anyone else excited for this?

Obel

But... that's like three months too early for April Fools.

Also the article cites 4chan as a source!

It's too good to be true. I can not believe this. It wouldn't even work anymore. And on DV too? I can't... I just can't.. stop digging up my past like this

Small Man Big Horse

As much as I'd love it to happen, I can't see it being the case (especially due to the rumour originating from 4chan - http://i.imgur.com/oKPro.png), but also as Lynch has long claimed that he's done with the Twin Peaks universe, and has little interest in film making any more.

Obviously I could be wrong, and if it did take place I'd be overjoyed. The only downside is the original cast we've lost (Frank Silva especially, I can't imagine a series without Bob) but also Jack Nance and Don Davis...

Anyway, it seems pointless to speculate any further unless Lynch makes a statement of some kind...

I assumed the 4chan thing must mean it's bollocks but this might just be a way of NBC or someone putting the feelers out, seeing how much interest it would get. Surely some anonymous 4chan user isn't a strong enough source for this to be so widely reported? I mean, the link in my original post came from the BFI's twitter feed.

Old Nehamkin

I'd love them to do a couple of feature-length specials (Maybe produced by Netflix; they're already bringing back Arrested Development, so why not Twin Peaks?). Something to resolve the season 2 cliffhanger, revisit the characters and give the whole thing some closure would be very nice. Mainly I'd just like to see Dale Cooper return, since Kyle McLaughlan is still very much great and not nearly in enough things.

I'm less sure about them trying to actually reboot it as a new (presumably ongoing) series but the prospect of new Twin Peaks in any form is still exciting. Unless this is all bollocks, obviously.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Mark Frost on TwitterDear Internet: You are very good at spreading rumors. Truth is more valuable and much harder to come by. Sincerely yours, @mfrost11

Oh well.

Pity, that, as I could see a new series, or mini-series, tying in nicely with the whole 'Cooper still being in the Black Lodge 25 years after the events of the original series' suggestion from Coop's original dream. 

BlodwynPig

olliebean

A third series might be interesting, but a reboot can fuck off.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Stone Cold Jane Austen on January 03, 2013, 05:08:00 PM
I assumed the 4chan thing must mean it's bollocks but this might just be a way of NBC or someone putting the feelers out, seeing how much interest it would get. Surely some anonymous 4chan user isn't a strong enough source for this to be so widely reported?

No news at the moment - silly season is in full swing.
cambridge-news.co.uk has managed to report the same story about the police stopping some cyclists without lights three times now[nb]although Burglar's 'bad hair day' fuelled by drugs and drink was quite good.[/nb]. It does keep the population of Cambridge warm with rage though.

Ummm, a new season of Twin Peaks just makes me feel tired. It's time has passed, surely?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 03, 2013, 09:23:08 PM
No news at the moment - silly season is in full swing.
cambridge-news.co.uk has managed to report the same story about the police stopping some cyclists without lights three times now[nb]although Burglar's 'bad hair day' fuelled by drugs and drink was quite good.[/nb]. It does keep the population of Cambridge warm with rage though.

Ummm, a new season of Twin Peaks just makes me feel tired. It's time has passed, surely?

I've mixed feelings, as much as I love the series a lot of my favourite characters were either dead by the season two finale or are now in real life, and the idea of seeing James Hurley back as an old man doesn't exactly excite. The TP Universe is of far more interest to me though, I'd love to see Cooper finally escape from the lodge and continue to investigate other Blue Rose cases, and finally work out what the fuck was going on with Phillip Jeffries too.

BlodwynPig

Agreed with SMBH re: his last suggestion.

I will just have to content myself with the Twin Peaks festival in October.

This absolutely should be done. There's a good show hidden away under all the "look how mysterious everything is!" shite that pervades most of Lynch's work. The first series is pretty good all the way through, but season 2 is just a sack of a shit. Lara Flynn Boyle.. christ.
]
A reboot is exactly what it needs.

dr_christian_troy

While I was hosting on CaB Radio on Thursday evening, I decided to have a dabble with layering two alternative versions of the Theme from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. To elaborate, here's the blurb I provided for the YouTube link below:

One of my favourite pieces of film music, the Theme from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, by Angelo Badalamenti & David Lynch, was made available on the soundtrack album in 1992.

The version was the one as heard in the opening of the film - the trumpet version. The first few seconds, however, hinted at a saxophone version.

In 2012, the Twin Peaks archive was made available, which included the entire theme, but with sax instead of trumpet.

Today, I layered them together, and now one of my favourite pieces of music sounds like some sultry jazz riff in Twin Peaks' Red Room. So here it is - Theme from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (Saxophone & Trumpet version) by Angelo Badalamenti & David Lynch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8hgZnMVVOE&feature=youtu.be

So, despite the rumours remaining as such, here's something to alleviate the anxiety. Who'd have thought putting two fantastic alternative pieces of music together would turn into utter bliss? Well, for me anyway. Enjoy.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Region Legion on January 04, 2013, 12:39:56 AMThe first series is pretty good all the way through, but season 2 is just a sack of a shit.

Season two is great for about six or so episodes - basically up to just after Laura's murderer is revealed. Then David Lynch pisses off to make... Wild at Heart? I forget, but something. And Kyle Maclachlan's girlfriend nixes Coop's romantic plotline with Audrey, and the writers have absolutely nothing to fill that gap and no clear direction for the show. It comes back together in the last three or four episodes, when Wyndham Earle arrives and Lynch returns to the show, but it's too little, too late. Such a shame!

kitsofan34

So I haven't spoken to anyone about Twin Peaks before, were all of you as frightened by Killer B.O.B as I was? It really didn't help that he used to pop up from the end of the bed, the one area where my laptop screen would obscure in most episodes of the show.

Don't think these rumours are really substantial though.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 03, 2013, 05:02:39 PMThe only downside is the original cast we've lost (Frank Silva especially, I can't imagine a series without Bob)...

Just get the bloke who "played him" in Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun video, I always assumed it WAS him until I was told otherwise, and even then I took a while to believe that it wasn't.  Now of course it seems kinda obvious that it wasn't, but hey, the 90s were a bit of a blurry time for me...

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on January 04, 2013, 05:56:01 AM
Season two is great for about six or so episodes - basically up to just after Laura's murderer is revealed. Then David Lynch pisses off to make... Wild at Heart? I forget, but something. And Kyle Maclachlan's girlfriend nixes Coop's romantic plotline with Audrey, and the writers have absolutely nothing to fill that gap and no clear direction for the show. It comes back together in the last three or four episodes, when Wyndham Earle arrives and Lynch returns to the show, but it's too little, too late. Such a shame!

I seem to remember reading that the "leaving to make Wild at Heart" stuff is a myth. Very vague memory though.

Edit: Wikipedia thinks that he was finishing Wild at Heart during season 1 of TP.

holyzombiejesus

Poor Leo's still got that string in his mouth.

Obel

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on January 05, 2013, 05:31:14 AM
Just get the bloke who "played him" in Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun video, I always assumed it WAS him until I was told otherwise, and even then I took a while to believe that it wasn't.  Now of course it seems kinda obvious that it wasn't, but hey, the 90s were a bit of a blurry time for me...

Really? I always thought that was Al Snow from WWF... I still think it is actually.

Thursday

SMBH sums up what I want to say, and I believe there were supposed to be more movies originally one of which would focus on Phillip Jeffries. That and the fact the series was cancelled before they were done with it does make it seem such a shame that we can't see any more of the ideas they never got to use.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on January 04, 2013, 05:11:23 AM
So, despite the rumours remaining as such, here's something to alleviate the anxiety. Who'd have thought putting two fantastic alternative pieces of music together would turn into utter bliss? Well, for me anyway. Enjoy.

Wonderful stuff. Also, Tricky, Smoking Beagles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lCuV_NlBo

Well, the rumour may have been bollocks, but it seems it's inspired NBC to look into a return to 'Twin Peaks' as a real possibility. May come to nothing - and without Lynch and Frost on board, it SHOULD come to nothing - but there's still the smallest of chances...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/06/silly-twin-peaks-rumours-compel-nbcs-president-to-start-the-ball-rolling-for-real/

Phil_A

Lynch is on record as saying he doesn't want the story of Twin Peaks to be continued in any form(meaning the storyline and characters from the original series). Whether that means he'd be open to the idea of a reboot is not yet clear...

MojoJojo

Quote from: mjwilson on January 05, 2013, 09:42:35 AM
I seem to remember reading that the "leaving to make Wild at Heart" stuff is a myth. Very vague memory though.

Edit: Wikipedia thinks that he was finishing Wild at Heart during season 1 of TP.

I'm not a big nerd about the show, and tvtropes has it that the reveal of Laura's murderer was forced on Lynch by the network - he'd wanted it to remain unsolved, and that meant all the plans for the second season went out the window. Don't know if that's accurate.

olliebean

Meanwhile, M. Night Shyamalamalanalan is developing a "Twin Peaks style drama" for Fox:

QuoteSecret Service agent Ethan Burke arrives in the bucolic town of Wayward Pines, ID, on a mission to find two missing federal agents. But instead of answers, Ethan's investigation only turns up more questions. What's wrong with Wayward Pines? Each step closer to the truth takes Ethan further from the life he knew, from the husband and father he was, until he must face the terrifying reality that he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive.

Whoop de fucking doo.

Johnny Townmouse

QDRPHNC

"Wayward Pines?" Wayward pubes more like.

Johnny Townmouse

More like Ethan Burke I would say.

rjd2

Just watching season 2 and 3 episodes left but its really hard work getting through it since the reveal of Laura's killer, just no intrigue, direction and way to zany. Shame.