Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Festival - What are you going to see?

Started by 9, July 10, 2004, 12:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I haven't really had a good look at who's on yet. I only know I want to Lee and Herring's solo shows, and perhaps Munnery's Annual Meeting.

What is everyone else going to see?

Xander

I'm going to see, in no particular order, Stuart Lee, Simon Munnery, HBAM (How Babies are Made, Dublin Uni stand up, very good), Rob Brydon, and Mark Thomas. The rest of yous guys?

23 Daves

Oh come on, you don't honestly think that anyone on this forum is actually GOING OUT to see comedy, do you?  Pffssshhh....

Jonny Jonny Butter Fiend

Simon Munnerys Annual General Meeting
We Lovett
Reginald D Hunter : A mystery wrapped in a nigga
Nancy Cartwright : My life as a 10 year old boy
The Karaoke Show.............maybe

That's as much as I can remember for now, my girlfriend and I are only down for 2 and a half days, so we're trying to squeeze in as much as we can.

Oh and I bought that Superstar card that was advertised on the Fringe website. I was taken in by their offer of 2 for 1 tickets. When I got it, I realised all the 2 for 1 tickets were at the beginning of the festival and I'm going at the end, so I've really just wasted £25. On the other hand I have got my nice Fringe programme.

I was hoping to get down there earlier as I entered the "So you think you're funny" competition, but as I've had no phonecall yet I suspect I'll be going in my capacity as holiday goer only.

fiddlesticks

Just got my tickets in a couple of days ago:

Stuart Lee, Simon Munnery, Richard Herring, Rob Brydon and last but not least Arnold Brown.

FanOfKylie

Anybody-else going to see Otis Lee Crenshaw aka Rich Hall ? Met him after a gig the other day and when I asked him if he liked Chris Morris he replied that they had just been watching the BrassEye and Day Today DVD's on the tour bus. Not a great story I'll grant you but at least it is Chris Morris related .

Pinball

Hopefully a lot of stuff will be on BBC4 - it was last year.

Also, is anyone going to MP3 some of these live performances? ;-)

Quote from: "Pinball"Also, is anyone going to MP3 some of these live performances? ;-)

Probably not. The likelihood of my minidisc making a listenable recording of anything are very slim. I may chance it if i'm feeling fruity though...

Pinball

I find using a good (£50) digital mic with my minidisk player produces a great quality recording, although at one gig the amplifier system was virtually switched off which meant I had to really ramp up the playback volume for encoding.

Which is okay until someone coughs, at which point your eardrums explode.

what mic do you use pinball? where's the best place to buy something like that?

randy_mong

We're going for 3 days but I'm having a bit of a problem working out who to go and see. It's a choice of 3 from Ross Noble, Rich Hall, Stewart Lee and Richard Herring. Ross Noble is definate as someone else chose him, and Rich Hall is too, because I want to see him, but because they are all on around 20:00-20:40, we can't see them all. Does anyone have any suggestions who to see between Stewart Lee and Richard Herring? No-one else I'm going with cares as they haven't heard of either of them, so let me know who you think will be best,
cheers

TTT

I would see Stewart Lee if i could only see one, his new standup routine is really good (Well it was at glasto). However i shall be seeing both of them, is anyone else worth watching at other times of the day.

randy_mong

Thanks, I was thinking Stewart Lee, because Richard Herring is probably more likely to tour his show, and come up here (Carlisle again at least). So far, I think we'll be seeing:

13:35 Best of Edinburgh Comedy 2004
14:30 We Lovett
16:00 Simon Munnery AGM
17:05 Stickmen: Year One
18:30 Simon Munnery Buckethead
19:15 Rob Brydon - the Keith Barret Show
20:00 Ross Noble - Noodlemeister
20:40 Stewart Lee
21:30 Bourbonitis - Otis Lee Crenshaw
23:00 Daniel Kitson
00:00 Best of the Fest 2004

this'll probably change though.

Purple Tentacle

I went to a preview of Munnery andf Herring's shows last night... previously I've not been a big fan of Simon Munnery, but his show was quit thought provoking and entertaining, with some good lines.

"I got thrown out of the communist party."
"What for?"
"Excessive communism."

A bit annoyingly the parts I found most enjoyable were the "This is my show that I'm performing next week, I hope you like it" and "That was my show, any questions?" bits, which is a bit pointless really.

Seems like a nice chap though.

Richard Herring's was quite entertaining as it's basically a summary of his weblog from his website delivered nicely, although he was reading from notes the whole time.  Nice timing though, and I think it will be very entertaining.

I bloody love work-in-progress shows, neither of them had an ending, it feels all "pilot-y" and pleasing.

butnut

Shit, I completely forgot about that Herring show. I'd promised myself I'd go to it as well. Bugger.