Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - 50th anniversary year

Started by Replies From View, January 07, 2013, 08:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Quote from: Replies From View on January 13, 2013, 11:48:06 AM
And he does do those superb Virgin media ads now.

Ah. Yes. He does do those, doesn't he. Where he lives with Richard Branson in a sort of clean, cheeky chappy, iPod version of Withnail and I.

Replies From View

And he looks directly at where he has to do a hand waving gesture thing because it's hard to see the marks in the corner of his eye.

Jemble Fred

Tennant's yet another superb actor whose career's seemingly been all-but ruined by Dr Who. Although, to be fair, his agent must be a fucking cretin as well.

Thomas

Still, be nice to have him back for a bit, maybe. Moffat has already done a coherent, logical multi-Doctor story with the Time Crash short, so he'd be capable of translating that across to a full story.

I reckon there's a good space to pluck the Ninth Doctor out of his first episode. It's that bit towards the end when the TARDIS vanishes for just a second, before it comes back and the Doctor says 'it also travels in time.'

Maybe he's been on a gap year during that brief moment. Perhaps he bumped into the Eleventh Doctor who, after an adventure of some kind, convinced him to go back and travel with Rose.[nb]I've given this a bit of thought, you know.[/nb]

biggytitbo

When you have a multi Doctor story, shouldn't the numerically senior Doctor already know what happens?

Thomas

Yep, unless someone's mucking about re-writing history.[nb]as in the beautiful and moving Dimensions in Time.[/nb] Or maybe the Doctor wipes his memory after particular self-encounters, as not to threaten the something something spacetime something continuum time.

eluc55

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 13, 2013, 12:11:52 PM
Tennant's yet another superb actor whose career's seemingly been all-but ruined by Dr Who. Although, to be fair, his agent must be a fucking cretin as well.

Doctor Who didn't ruin his career. It shifted his ambitions and probably harmed his sense of perspective. He's trying to break Hollywood off the back of Who, but the fact is the rest of the world doesn't give a shit. It doesn't help that he's choosing terrible films, as well. If he was still making TV shows in this country, he'd be wildly successful. Same for Ecclestone.

They want more money and more fame, and the results are terrible action movies and rom coms no-one remembers. 

Thomas

Tennant's in some upcoming BBC espionage drama, I think. His hair looks all strange and crunchy.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 13, 2013, 12:27:22 PM
When you have a multi Doctor story, shouldn't the numerically senior Doctor already know what happens?

Yeah; probably one of the reasons they shouldn't be taken too seriously.  Moffat made it the subject of his Time Crash short.

Thomas

Quote from: Replies From View on January 13, 2013, 12:41:24 PM
Moffat made it the subject of his Time Crash short.

And a couple of other shorts, if I remember rightly. There's that nice little one where Amy flirts with herself after the TARDIS materialises inside itself all that jazz.

Jemble Fred

There's nothing nice about any of Moffatt's 'flirting'.

Eluc, yes indeed, everything you wrote is exactly what I meant, I was just using an emotive shorthand. Obviously his career's not actually 'ruined', but being The Doctor has totally thrown him, and he's been pushed in the wrong direction off the back of it. In programmes like Blackpool and especially of course Casanova, he's already shown immense talent. He's just yet to do anything promising since leaving the TARDIS.

Thomas

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 13, 2013, 12:56:29 PM
There's nothing nice about any of Moffatt's 'flirting'.

My 'nice' referred to the short's use of time travel. The 'Amy flirting with herself...' was just to jog memories, be they in need of jogging.

I just came up with a title for my Ninth Doctor-Eleventh Doctor idea, but then I realised that 'Nine Eleven' might not be suitable as the focus of a time travel show.

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on January 13, 2013, 12:44:39 PM
And a couple of other shorts, if I remember rightly. There's that nice little one where Amy flirts with herself after the TARDIS materialises inside itself all that jazz.

That model of time travel (the best model, in my view) also appears in the series 5 climax, but I specifically meant when it concerns more than one Doctor.  Things like this are easier to appreciate when a character looks roughly the same when they go back or forwards to meet themselves, but when different versions of the Doctor are involved people seem to forget that they're watching a single person with a continuous timeline.  So in Time Crash you get a laboured explanation - "you did this, and then I remember it so when I become you I do it so that I get to see it in the first place" and in shows like The Three/Five/Two Doctors that have no intention of giving such explanations, the writers just don't let it be an issue.

Speaking of issues, in the last day or two The Retronaut blog has posted scans of the issues[nb]Smooth.[/nb] of the Radio Times that celebrated the 30th and 40th birthdays of Doctor Who:

30th:  http://www.retronaut.com/2013/01/radio-times-doctor-who-30th-anniversary-issue/
40th:  http://www.retronaut.com/2013/01/radio-times-doctor-who-40th-anniversary-covers/

I remember keeping the 30th for prosperity, and have it in storage somewhere.  Lots of echoes here of the CITV Old Skool weekend, because just as 2003 felt like yesterday during that, Doctor Who's 40th birthday completely passed me by.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 13, 2013, 12:56:29 PM
He's just yet to do anything promising since leaving the TARDIS.

Maybe he's been replaced by the drippy version that Rose Tyler got to keep as a pet!

kidsick5000

Quote from: Thomas on January 13, 2013, 11:32:22 AM
Human Nature is certainly a classic. I've no problem with David Tennant - he seems a perfectly able actor and a fine chap - it's just his particular characterisation of the Doctor that irks me.

Still, after a millennium of travelling through time and space and ladies, I'm sure we'd all have had an annoying, show-off phase.

But it's Human Nature/FAmily Of Blood that gives No 10s personality some context. That he's not just a show off, but it is a front. That this is still a Doctor at odds with the dark death dealing he had to do in the Time War. There's still the ruthless torturer underneath the "Oooh, I love a little shop".

biggytitbo

I think you can exaggerate the lack of success Tennant has had since Who. Yes he had a failed pilot in the US and made an unsuccessful film over there, which by all accounts was actually quite good. Aside from that he's largely done what he did pre Who - a succession of different, usually quite well received  British dramas. I don't think there's any chance of him wanting for work.

daf

A twist on the previous Doctors returning might be to do some sort of 'evil doppelgangers' story - like Troughton's 'Enemy of The World'.

So Matt Smith wouldn't be teaming up with past versions of himself, but batting against some 'Salamander' type super baddies - played by Tennant, Eccleston, Colin Baker[nb]particularly Colin Baker![/nb], McCoy, McGann, Davison & Tom Baker.

Jemble Fred

Sort of a nice idea for a novel, but the idea of persuading all the available actors back together – and then not having them play the Doctor – would be the kind of fan-baiting missed opportunity to provoke mass pitchfork-waving at the next available convention.

I figured you just have 11 Doctors from 11 different dimensions, when they regenerated into different forms at different times, explaining away all aesthetic discrepancies in a second.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Thomas on January 13, 2013, 12:32:56 PM
Tennant's in some upcoming BBC espionage drama, I think. His hair looks all strange and crunchy.

Spies of Warsaw. He's also starring soon in Broadchurch for ITV and The Politician's Husband for BBC2. He's been in loads of high-profile TV dramas[nb]And that big fact shitty comedy quiz thing he did for Channel 4.[/nb] since leaving Doctor Who.

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on January 13, 2013, 01:29:40 PM
Colin Baker[nb]particularly Colin Baker![/nb]

Nothing says "evil double" more succinctly than being inexplicably bald and fat.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 13, 2013, 01:40:19 PM
Sort of a nice idea for a novel, but the idea of persuading all the available actors back together – and then not having them play the Doctor – would be the kind of fan-baiting missed opportunity to provoke mass pitchfork-waving at the next available convention.

I figured you just have 11 Doctors from 11 different dimensions, when they regenerated into different forms at different times, explaining away all aesthetic discrepancies in a second.

Pretty much agree with you here.  What I really hope is that if we do get multiple Doctors, we don't get only the post-2005 ones.  At least Paul McGann should be involved, and I can't see him not being if they go the multi-Doctor route.  A nice story could be done with those four without it getting too crowded.  If they were to include more than that, Davison looks the same as he did in Time Crash and recognisable as the fifth Doctor in any case, but the two Bakers are the sticking point.  Once they've included Davison it'd be wrong to exclude them, though, and the explanation you gave is as good as any (we've had to accept something along those lines since Troughton started having grey hair, and if Dimensions in Time is canon...). 

Or we could see a sequence where the Classic era Doctors are squeezed through a Play-Doh squashing device at the start, and the whole story could centre on finding something to get them fixed.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Replies From View on January 13, 2013, 01:55:17 PM
Nothing says "evil double" more succinctly than being inexplicably bald and fat.

Depending on how well he could act it,yu could have the 6th Doctor step out of his own continuity and command his own dimension like Col Kurtz - hence the bald and fat.
Ahh, keep it to fan fiction

Dark Sky

Quote from: Replies From View on January 13, 2013, 02:12:34 PM
Pretty much agree with you here.  What I really hope is that if we do get multiple Doctors, we don't get only the post-2005 ones. 

Yeah, it's the 50 year anniversary, not the 8 year anniversary of New Who. 

I reckon it'll be all or nothing.  And I really hope it's all.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on January 13, 2013, 02:12:34 PMDavison looks the same as he did in Time Crash and recognisable as the fifth Doctor in any case, but the two Bakers are the sticking point.

Just use the explanation they used in Time Crash - 'Ooh, time differential's going all funny, I've been aged prematurely - fuck it, let's go have an adventure!'

Christ knows how you'd get Baker (T), Baker (C), Davison, McCoy, McGann, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith all in the same story without the plot being an incomprehensible mess, though.

daf

Quote from: Mister Six on January 13, 2013, 05:45:28 PM
Christ knows how you'd get Baker (T), Baker (C), Davison, McCoy, McGann, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith all in the same story without it being an incomprehensible mess, though.

Make it a massive 7 parter - with each Doctor getting their own interaction with The Smith Doctor in 'their' episode - going backwards (possibly featuring Villains/Monsters of each era)

So Tennant first, then Eccleston, McGann etc, and ending with Tom.

The seventh is where they all meet, defeat whatever villain has been behind it all, and have a booze up with Idris (and possibly Doctors 1, 2 and 3 - in some 'Camera Trickery' way.)

Replies From View

They could have like a wheelbarrow with the first ten Doctors' faces on it that the eleventh Doctor pushes for an hour.

biggytitbo

Good idea, or instead of featuring all 11 doctors faces, we get cameos from all 11 doctor's bums?

Replies From View

Excellent.  They could include a contestant from 'You Bet' identifying which bum belongs to which Doctor.  With all the money they save from making CGI versions of the first three Doctors I bet they could do a pretty convincing model of 1990s-vintage Matthew Kelly.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm hoping that in this special 50th anniversary year, we FINALLY get to see the Doctor's willy.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 13, 2013, 07:00:32 PM
I'm hoping that in this special 50th anniversary year, we FINALLY get to see the Doctor's willy.

With Moffatt on board, I would give no longer odds than 2-1 on that happening.