Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

FUCKING HELL NEW DAVID BOWIE ALBUM COMING OUT!!!

Started by Old Nehamkin, January 08, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Nehamkin

So, Duncan Jones just tweeted:

QuoteSo... First off, its midnight in NY. That means, a HUGE HAPPY BIRTHDAY is in order to my very lovely, very talented dad!

Been ten years since his last album....

So you better get to itunes. ;)

I check Itunes and there's a new album listed for March 12! It's called The Next Day, iTunes has the full track listing plus one track available for preview, just about to listen to it now.

Fucking hell!

Old Nehamkin

...And here's a music video (It's one of the greatest things I've ever seen): http://www.davidbowie.com/vision?videopremiere=true

EDIT: Visconti is producing, apparently.

SteveDave

That was actually quite nice in a bleak romantic kind of way. Awww.

SteveDave

Lord I wanted him to wink when he pulled his face out of whatever he had his face in to make that video at the end.

I'm so excited by this news.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: SteveDave on January 08, 2013, 07:51:07 AM
Lord I wanted him to wink when he pulled his face out of whatever he had his face in to make that video at the end.

haha, yes! Also I really, really hope the iTunes preview image ends up being the official cover:

Nowhere Man

When I saw the headline for this on Digital Spy I thought immediately it was a joke but JESUS DDICKINGCHRIST and I was listening to Bowie yesterday!! Where did this spring out of?!! I was thinking it was more likely for Hitler to be resurrected and starting World War III.

CaledonianGonzo

If he gets his arse back out on the road it'll make me a very happy man.

I'll admit it doesn't seem likely, but then, yesterday, neither did this.

The Roofdog

Butchers Blind

Now he's back out of retirement hopefully we'll get DB's wish of 'The Dame at The Dome for a Dime'.

hedgehog90

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I thought this day would never come.
I can't wait to see the outpouring of love for Bowie.
I don't even care if the album is shit.

I wuzza wuzza wuv u Boweh <3

Jim_MacLaine

The fragile sounding vocal and pained looking Bowie cause me to worry about his wellbeing. Unless it's all a big ruse a la Willy Wonka's hobbling entrance.

Vodka Margarine

Congratulations, your Daveness, on finally dislodging that lollipop from your face and getting back in the studio.

Alas, can't listen right now due to being at work. I have no doubt it's immense.

Serge

Well, this has cheered me up on a grey January morning. I knew it was his birthday today (and it will cheer up Scott Walker, 70 tomorrow, who recently said he'd like to see a new Bowie album), but this has definitely added a layer of FUCKING HELL to the day.

Neville Chamberlain

FUCKING HELL indeed.

Saw a clip of the new single on BBC Breakfast this morning. I yelled FUCKING HELL. Then I yelled FUCKING HELL when I heard the song and it was good!

FUDKING HELL.

Gavin M

Viero_Berlotti

I've still not forgiven him for working with Gervais in Extras. A greatest hits tour would definitely put him back in the good books though. I'm not holding out much hope though, I think the last tour he did nearly killed him.

buttgammon

Bloody hell! Definitely didn't see this coming as I'd taken him as completely retired, particularly because he had some health problems around the last time he was doing much musically but also because it sounds like he's been living the quiet life with his family for a while. Still, that creative urge never goes away (though it left him for a while as the 80s went on) and a new Bowie album is always going to be worth a lot of my attention.

Should have put him on that list...

PaulTMA

I've been thinking more realistically about there being a new Bowie album in the last weeks, glad all that positive energy has paid off - otherwise there clearly would be no new real album to speak of.

What does seem very encouraging is how, from a glance at the tracklist, his first album in a decade doesn't appear to have any shite cover versions on it!  Listening to a Heathen/Reality playlist right now, with all of those removed and it sounds like a very respectable album.

Dead kate moss

Chris Roberts discussing the news on Sky News at 2.30 today, if anyone's interested.

KLG-7B

It's all a bit self-referential, but he's allowed.

I like the song.

The video looks like somebody has stitched Bowie's head and Tove Jansson's head to a puppet. It's about time.

George Oscar Bluth II

On 6Music yesterday they played a little package of their presenters talking about what they were looking forward to most in 2013 and Mark Radcliffe said "what I'd like the most is a new Bowie album, but that's obviously not going to happen".

Ha.

Brundle-Fly

Really like it. Evoked Robert Wyatt and it wouldn't have looked out of place on a late -Blur album. The chorus has a touch of Out Of Time about it.

benthalo

This news absolutely deserves a subject line in caps lock. Welcome back Dave.

23 Daves

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 08, 2013, 01:16:11 PM
Really like it. Evoked Robert Wyatt and it wouldn't have looked out of place on a late -Blur album. The chorus has a touch of Out Of Time about it.

The first thing I thought when I heard it this morning was that it was similar to "Under The Westway" or "Out Of Time".  I'm not actually too sure I like it, though - I may need to give it a few more listens.

Squink

His voice is fading now isn't it? At least, if this is any indication. Kind of sad. Still, makes the protracted silence understandable. I'd be very surprised if he did tour, the potential for embarrassment could be high. Unless this is some kind of affectation. I doubt it though.

Artemis

Just perusing his discography and chart placements, and was surprised at how unsuccessful he's been, from a chart placement point of view. Sure there's a small handful of number one spots, but plenty that didn't do terribly well, considering what a musical monolith so many consider him to be.

Serge

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on January 08, 2013, 11:17:59 AMI've still not forgiven him for working with Gervais in Extras.

One more reason to be grateful for this new record is that it means his last creative endeavour won't be that 'Extras' cameo.

The song reminds me a lot of 'Bring Me The Disco King' from 'Reality'.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: 23 Daves on January 08, 2013, 01:51:28 PM
The first thing I thought when I heard it this morning was that it was similar to "Under The Westway" or "Out Of Time".  I'm not actually too sure I like it, though - I may need to give it a few more listens.

I'm rather glad he's name checking places in Berlin(I presume??) rather than London. That might have sounded too much like a Damon doing the Deram era Dame dream.

23 Daves

Quote from: Artemis on January 08, 2013, 04:05:32 PM
Just perusing his discography and chart placements, and was surprised at how unsuccessful he's been, from a chart placement point of view. Sure there's a small handful of number one spots, but plenty that didn't do terribly well, considering what a musical monolith so many consider him to be.

A friend of mine who is old enough to have seen Bowie live in the seventies insists that there's been a lot of revisionism here, and that he was only a really big deal to the general public in the early eighties.  He qualified this by saying that his following for most of the seventies was a large cult one (like Morrissey's) rather than one befitting a "superstar".  He may have had several break-out top three hits during the period, but the average person on the street couldn't have given a stuff when his next album was coming out, and the likes of Floyd and Zeppelin were far more important in that respect.  No idea if that's true or not, but the statistics do bear it out.

Most famously, of course, "Heroes" didn't even break the top twenty.