Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:18:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's My Horror Film? (it's Phantoms, 1998)

Started by Thomas, January 10, 2013, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

This, of course, being a variation on the title of classic 20th century panel show What's My Line?[nb]My variation is not as good as Woody Allen's What's My Perversion?, but it's all I've got.[/nb]

I've been trying to track down a horror film I watched a few years ago on Channel 5 in the wee small hours of a cold morning. Google has, like a bad farmer, repeatedly yielded nothing, so I'm turning to you.

It's American, and it features a giant moth (about the size of a duvet folded into quarters) which flies around a hotel lobby and rips a man's face clean off. The result looks like a jam mask. Also featured is a series of Labradors, who all die when weird black serpents emerge from their backs. A group of survivors scurry about dressed like astronauts, and there's a police officer with them.

Sadly, this is all I can recall of my horror film one night stand, so a nudge towards her identity would be very much appreciated.

madhair60

Thomas

Yes, that's exactly it. Thank you, madhair60.

madhair60

Thomas

I remember it vividly now. I named the dead man 'Jam-Face Jones' to lighten the mood for my terrified younger brothers, bless 'em.

That clip hasn't done anything to diminish my dislike/fear of moths, you bastards.

*shivers and breathes through paper bag*

Thomas

Conversely, I love them more than ever. Maybe it's because I hate cops.[nb]I do not actually hate the police.[/nb]

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on January 10, 2013, 10:11:38 PM
That clip hasn't done anything to diminish my dislike/fear of moths, you bastards.

*shivers and breathes through paper bag*

I remember this story about the actress Julianna Margulies, and she said that she was in the jungle or somewhere filming and that. Then out of nowhere this big bastard moth flies into her eye and just keeps going until it's like inside her eye and stuff. I remember thinking "Shit, that's fucked, imagine that happening to you" and then I shuddered. Doesn't bear thinking about really.

Small Man Big Horse

Whilst we're (sort of) talking about horror films beginning with P, are the Phantasm films worth watching? They've somehow passed me by over the years and I'm normally fond of trashy US horror, so I don't know why I've not seen them. I'm a big fan of Coscarelli's Bubba Ho-Tep and John Dies At The End, do they display a similar slightly skewed take on the genre?

BlodwynPig

Phantoms was on TV just before Christmas....rubbish

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 10, 2013, 10:29:58 PM
Whilst we're (sort of) talking about horror films beginning with P, are the Phantasm films worth watching? They've somehow passed me by over the years and I'm normally fond of trashy US horror, so I don't know why I've not seen them. I'm a big fan of Coscarelli's Bubba Ho-Tep and John Dies At The End, do they display a similar slightly skewed take on the genre?

Absolutely – the whole series is very well regarded (I should say, that I haven't seen all) and the first is often referred to as one of the great horror films and one of the finest from the 1970s. The first is an inventive and very personal movie – and one that was an influence on the genre.

Definitely give the first one a go.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for that, the next time I see it in a charity shop I'll pick it up.

MjjW

Saw a horror film on terrestial tv at some point in the mid 90s, would love to know what it was because it scared me so. Only bits I can remember though are a hotel receptionist acting creepy, then the camera panning down to reveal it WASN'T REALLY HER, HER BODY'S IN A BAG! and near the end when the main characters drive out of the haunted village, but the road just LEADS THEM BACK TO THE SCARY PLACE! Longshot I know, but any ideas?

BlodwynPig

MjjW

Looks like it yeah! Thanks. That's going on my list for a rewatch.

BlodwynPig

DVD is a bit expensive, but I love the film.