Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

3D printing (weaponry)

Started by Dusty Gozongas, January 15, 2013, 11:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Gozongas

Some of you may recall my mentioning a while back of Defense Distributed and their intention of developing a printable firearm using (future) regular 3D printers and then distributing the CAD files far and wide online.

That plan seems to be some way away right now but recent developments will have a few people twitching:

Bypassing magazine bans.  (youtube link)

Okay, it's Alex Jones hosting but I'm sure the mainstream media weren't to keen to be the first to let the world in on this. I'm not sure whether the bans are in place or only proposed at the moment, however there's some interesting info/opinions[nb]I'm thinking they can be interesting even if you disagree[/nb] in there - and you'll see that it's not strictly limited to magazines either.

Defense Distributed website.

Zetetic

The 'magazine ban' refers to this proposed bill banning (sale etc., not ownership I believe) of anything holding more than 10 rounds.

Dusty Gozongas

Thanks for that.  I'm incredibly lazy sometimes.

JesusAndYourBush

Doesn't 3D printing use some sort of plastic? A plastic gun would blow up and injure/kill the person firing it, surely?

Replies From View

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 16, 2013, 03:02:36 AMDoesn't 3D printing use some sort of plastic? A plastic gun would blow up and injure/kill the person firing it, surely?

Currently this is true, which is why they haven't been able to make one so far with currently available materials. It's definitely only a matter of time until the technology exists however. Compare this to how far regular printers have progressed since dot matrix systems.

DefDist are at least being honest about the issues that are arising during development.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Wouldn't the people with the money and resources to make a gun just...buy a gun?

Uncle TechTip

Outside the US it's rather difficult to buy a gun.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 16, 2013, 08:36:54 AM
Wouldn't the people with the money and resources to make a gun just...buy a gun?
Have you ever been to Europe, S?S!? Europe?

I think they're being quite upfront about it being a matter of preparation. In the case of the greater-than-10-round magazine, they've leapt on that as an example of a plausible near-future ban on weaponry that could be easily circumvented by self-manufacture.

Quote from: Dusty Gozongas on January 16, 2013, 06:21:49 AM
DefDist are at least being honest about the issues that are arising during development.
I do find the actual process quite interesting.

Replies From View

What kind of plastic do these printers jet out?  Some kind of UHU glue?

Replies From View

Very disappointed that so far none of the printers look like this:

mook

Quote from: Replies From View on January 16, 2013, 12:49:23 PM
Very disappointed that so far none of the printers look like this:

but, you could used one of the printers to make a printer that looks just like that. and fires bullets.

Replies From View

Kids these days wouldn't go for Bertha unless it had guns.  They are obsessed with them.

biggytitbo

You can make a gun out of soap.

All Surrogate

Quote from: Dusty Gozongas on January 16, 2013, 06:21:49 AMCurrently this is true, which is why they haven't been able to make one so far with currently available materials. It's definitely only a matter of time until the technology exists however. Compare this to how far regular printers have progressed since dot matrix systems.

Well, there is selective laser sintering, which works pretty much along the same lines.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 16, 2013, 08:39:08 AM
Outside the US it's rather difficult to buy a gun.

Meh, it's all about who you know.

Johnny Townmouse

Can someone please help me. These aren't printers are they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21293258

I mean, we are calling them printers, but they appear to be large machines that mould objects when you feed information into them. Moulding machines have been doing that for decades.

Why are they called printers?

Dusty Gozongas

Moulding requires a mould, whereas 3D printing builds an object in a series of printed layers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-d_printing#Modeling

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 16, 2013, 04:06:27 PM
You can make a gun out of soap.

Maybe you can.  I can't even make a "rude parts" out of soap, and that's one of the easy shape options.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Dusty Gozongas on February 02, 2013, 04:15:47 PM
Moulding requires a mould, whereas 3D printing builds an object in a series of printed layers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-d_printing#Modeling

OK, that makes sense. But how are the layers printed? Many things are made up of layers but they are not 'printed'. It sounds like they want to preform material made from moon dust, and then use that in layers to make an object. But I still don't understand how this is printing. My understanding of printing is that you add a substance (often, but not always, ink) to another object (often, but not always, paper).

This seems to be the creation of an object by preforming material and then shaping it into something else. Am I being literal or do I misunderstand what printing is?

mook

you're just not thinking about it in a 3d enough way is all.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: mook on February 02, 2013, 08:02:04 PM
you're just not thinking about it in a 3d enough way is all.

That's possible, but I understand printing on 3D surfaces, I just don't understand why forming preformed material into an object is printing.

Well this is wikipedia, but nonetheless:

QuotePrinting is a process for reproducing text and images, typically with ink on paper using a printing press. It is often carried out as a large-scale industrial process, and is an essential part of publishing and transaction printing.

Quote3D printing is a form of manufacturing technology where objects are created using three-dimensional files and 3D printers. Objects are created by laying down successive layers of material. As of 2012, some companies such as Sculpteo or Shapeways are proposing online solutions for 3D printing.

So the "layering down of material" in this case is regolith that forms a 3D object used as a building material. If I built the same object with the same material using the same specifications that wouldn't be printing. So somehow the action of the 3D printer is making this "printing". At least I'm getting an insight into how my Mum feels most of the time when I try to explain digital files.

Zetetic

QuoteSo the "layering down of material" in this case is regolith that forms a 3D object used as a building material. If I built the same object with the same material using the same specifications that wouldn't be printing. So somehow the action of the 3D printer is making this "printing".

Yes. Similarly you could create copies of a book that appeared identical by many methods - typewriting, laser printer, movable type with a screw press (printing again), inkjet printer, handwriting (of a sort).

Zetetic

Also from Wikipedia:

Quote3D printing is achieved using an additive process, where successive layers of material are laid down in different shapes. 3D printing is considered distinct from traditional machining techniques which mostly rely on the removal of material by methods such as cutting or drilling (subtractive processes).

Sets out a current distinction of '3D printing' as an additive process. In that way it's analogous to the 'printing'[nb]Noting that thermal printing isn't an additive process. Edit: Or embossing.[/nb] of 2D designs onto paper by adding ink of some sort.

I suspect that actually it'll end up denoting any largely self-contained machines for largely automatically producing 3D designs and that we'll have to put up with tedious cunts arguing the toss about it only referring to things with an additive process.

Blumf

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on February 02, 2013, 07:51:45 PM
OK, that makes sense. But how are the layers printed?

A sample of one system that might scale up to full 3D printing building:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyOgDlUWfFE

Johnny Townmouse

Yeah, like a lot of people the first time I came across this was the video of someone 'printing' a fully-functioning monkey wrench. It was incredible, but did not look like printing.

The assumption that techniques for making objects is subtractive rather than additive isn't true though is it? They use the term 'mostly' but from my experience moulding is not subtractive.

I think the technology is incredible, but I am mentally struggling with it being printing rather than incredibly intelligent and awe-inspiring machine reproduction of objects.

Zetetic

I suppose that molding isn't really additive or subtractive.

I'm still not clear what you thinking 'printing' denotes.

Edit: The etymology of it starting with 'making physical impressions' and then 'marks by physical impression' is interesting. Increasingly I think it's used simply about mass-production from a design or something.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Zetetic on February 02, 2013, 08:35:29 PM
I'm still not clear what you thinking 'printing' denotes.

Edit: The etymology of it starting with 'making physical impressions' and then 'marks by physical impression' is interesting. Increasingly I think it's used simply about mass-production from a design or something.

In that case my definition is clearly limited, if it is being used in those terms then that make sense. I didn't realise that the term 'printing' could be used so broadly.

MojoJojo

Also from the wiki page
QuoteThe term "3D printing" was coined at MIT in 1995 when then graduate students Jim Bredt and Tim Anderson modified an inkjet printer to extrude a binding solution onto a bed of powder, rather than ink onto paper.

http://makibox.com/products - $300 (in fact $200 for the low temperature version) - I'm tempted by that. Unfortunately despite the 8-10 week lead time a sales page, reading the blog it doesn't sound like they've actually shipped any yet - although they are close.