Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:32:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

3D printing (weaponry)

Started by Dusty Gozongas, January 15, 2013, 11:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: mook on February 03, 2013, 02:09:25 PM
i wonder how durable this resin stuff is?

It looks like the crust from some PVA glue to me, so I shall assume it is the exact same as that.

"DURABLE AND VERSATILE."

Suttonpubcrawl

It's printing in the sense that you print the first layer of material on to a base (from which it can later be removed obviously), then you print the next layer of material on top of the first layer, the next layer of material on top of the second layer and so on. To me that does seem fairly analogous to the process of an inkjet printer printing on paper. The key differences being that as well as the process of laying down a layer operating in two dimensions, a third dimension is introduced by the laying down of layers on top of layers, and the finished product is removed from the substrate on which it was initially layed down, rather than in normal printing where obviously you can't take the printed matter off the paper it was printed on.

Replies From View

What is the "base" that the material is printed onto?

Johnny Townmouse

I'm going to invent a machine that will print a Viennese slice.

KLG-7B

They have those at the Viennese slice factory.

mook

Quote from: Replies From View on February 03, 2013, 04:39:11 PM

i'm presuming it's the same stuff as used to make the clearances in the mechanical/articulated parts.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: Replies From View on February 03, 2013, 04:39:11 PM

It's probably a fair guess to say that it depends on the print medium. It would be a surface on which the object being made will sit firmly on without making it impossible to remove it when finished.  In the case of certain plastics I would suspect that the bed-plate would be steel or aluminium with a layer of glass cloth (this is an educated guess based on own experience within the plastics industry and could be totally incorrect).

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: KLG-7B on February 03, 2013, 05:30:18 PM
They have those at the Viennese slice factory.

Good point. In fact they've been printing Viennese slices for years.

Replies From View

It'd be good if the base was the same material as the backing used for stickers.  A very shiny paper that peels off in an exceedingly satisfying way.

Blumf

Some of the bases are heated to help with the process and removal of the finished object. It all depends on the particular tech and cost though. Most the cheap/homemade ones just have some plastic tape.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Bed_material
QuoteThe bed material needs to satisfy two somewhat contradictory goals:

* The bed material must stick to the plastic coming out of the extruder. Otherwise the partially-printed part will slide around, then the next layer of the part won't be aligned, and you'll have a big mess.
* The bed material must not stick very strongly to the plastic coming out of the extruder. Otherwise you'll create perfectly-printed parts that are impossible to remove from the bed without damaging one or the other or both.

Replies From View

I'm sure you will agree that the paper backing used for stickers is ideal.  Not overtly sticky at all, yet I bet you can't slide around on some.

MojoJojo

The video of the first MakiBox print[nb]or whatever[/nb] demonstrates it quite nicely http://youtu.be/q7RU-IGkpdw

Takes him a good minute to get the thing off the base. And that's showing off.