Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:37:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film deaths that genuinely upset you

Started by Custard, January 22, 2013, 12:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Django Unchained -
Spoiler alert
Shultz. Shultz should've rode off into the sunset. I know he had to die to raise the stakes and quest for revenge for Django, but it still made me all sad up in the face

Django's last goodbye is really moving, too

Blub
[close]

Mask -
Spoiler alert
When Cher's son dies in his sleep, and she finds him :(
[close]

checkoutgirl

Every death in The Grey had an inordinate effect on me, by the end I was starting to feel a bit manipulated by the deaths.

Johnny Townmouse

I remember finding Christopher Walken's death in The Deer Hunter utterly devastating.

El Unicornio, mang

The only ones I can think of are Pacino in Carlito's Way (all that running around and he gets offed in a split second by a nasty cunt) and of course Hooch in Turner and Hooch

Custard

Not a film, but The Sopranos -
Spoiler alert
Adrianna. Just. Orrible.
[close]

Jerzy Bondov

For some reason I was really upset by
Spoiler alert
Dylan Moran
[close]
getting munched in Shaun of the Dead. He just gets torn apart. I don't even know why; he's not very nice and I wasn't affected as much by poor
Spoiler alert
Penelope Wilton
[close]
getting shot in the face. I found it extremely traumatising, to the point that it puts me off watching it again. I'm an idiot.

Wet Blanket

Any of the rabbits in Watership Down.

The mum dinosaur in Land Before Time.

Gus in Lonesome Dove.

I've still not got over
Spoiler alert
the Elephant Man
[close]
's death and it was two years since I saw it.

SteveDave

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou- When the screen flashed red when
Spoiler alert
Steve & Ned were in the water after their helicopter crashed
[close]
, the entire cinema audience I was with inhaled in dismay.

Catalogue Trousers

Oscar Wallace's death in The Untouchables. Malone's overblown demise I can take or leave, but Oscar's is just so sudden and callous. It's like killing the bad-ass Winnie The Pooh.

Johnny Townmouse

Spider in Goodfellas.

Did my head in. The cold-blooded way it is done is made worse by Pesci's inability to see how brave the boy was being standing up to him.

Similarly Also, Christopher Walken killing Dennis Hopper in True Romance.

I found the torture scene in Gangster No.1 pretty upsetting, regardless of how cunty the main character being killed is. The sadism got to me.

CaledonianGonzo

I was going to say the death of Frankie Carbone in Goodfellas - signalling, as it does, the last onscreen appearance of the greatest haircut in cinema history.

Serge

Quote from: SteveDave on January 22, 2013, 03:58:40 PMThe Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou- When the screen flashed red when
Spoiler alert
[close]

Similarly, in 'L.A. Confidential' when
Spoiler alert
Jack Vincennes is shot
[close]
, I swear an entire cinema (including myself) jerked forward in surprise (when I showed it my parents, my mum nearly dropped her cup of tea and said, "You can't kill
Spoiler alert
Kevin Spacey!
[close]
".)

Not film, but
Spoiler alert
Mike's
[close]
death in 'Breaking Bad' upset me more than any other in the show. Fuck, from the moment he
Spoiler alert
has to abandon his granddaughter in the park
[close]
, it's sad, but
Spoiler alert
the look of disgust on his face as he looks at Walter
[close]
almost made up for it happening.

EDIT: Apologies for the amount of
Spoiler alert
spoiler
[close]
bars.

Crabwalk

The way things pan out for Seth Brundle always gets me. I hope I never get the terminal illness he contracts.

Gulftastic

Spoiler alert
Wash
[close]
in 'Serenity'. They'd already
Spoiler alert
killed Book, and I was a bit sad, but when Wash bought it too
[close]
I was gutted. I remember leaving the cinema just feeling numb.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 22, 2013, 05:26:41 PM
The way things pan out for Seth Brundle always gets me. I hope I never get the terminal illness he contracts.

Speaking of The Fly, the ending of the original disturbed me greatly. The idea of being trapped on a web with a spider coming to eat me is quite dreadful.

Thomas

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 22, 2013, 01:32:29 PM
For some reason I was really upset by
Spoiler alert
Dylan Moran
[close]
getting munched in Shaun of the Dead. He just gets torn apart. I don't even know why; he's not very nice and I wasn't affected as much by poor
Spoiler alert
Penelope Wilton
[close]
getting shot in the face. I found it extremely traumatising, to the point that it puts me off watching it again. I'm an idiot.

That bit always played over in my mind, you're not alone. It's perfectly lit for playing over in the mind.

I think it's the idea of undergoing an extended, painful death process whilst still conscious that sticks with me. The idea that you're still awake to realise that there's no possibility of survival, witnessing your own point of no return. Sends chills down me tendons.

thenoise

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 22, 2013, 01:34:32 PM
Any of the rabbits in Watership Down.

When the Wind Blows -
Spoiler alert
(although it's sort of after the end really), devastating.
[close]

Plague Dogs -
Spoiler alert
accidental death of that farmer fellow by gunshot to the head.  Comes out of nowhere and is pretty shockingly gory/nasty for cartoonland
[close]

Grave of the Fireflies -
Spoiler alert
just horrible
[close]

Yup, cartoon deaths.  People shouldn't die in cartoons!

Cerys

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 22, 2013, 05:39:00 PM
Spoiler alert
Wash
[close]
in 'Serenity'. They'd already
Spoiler alert
killed Book, and I was a bit sad, but when Wash bought it too
[close]
I was gutted. I remember leaving the cinema just feeling numb.

I'm right with you on that one. 
Spoiler alert
Wash shouldn't die.  No way should that be allowed.
[close]

homesickalien

when
Spoiler alert
river phoenix's character dies
[close]
at the end of Stand By Me.   Always found it sad as the characters and the setting of the film all remind me of the friends and town I lived in when growing up

Hangthebuggers

The end of downfall, when the funny, shouty man with the moustache shoots himself. [nb]Only joking, but the bit were they're killing the kids with poison is awful.[/nb]

Thomas

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on January 22, 2013, 10:23:13 PM
The end of downfall, when the funny, shouty man with the moustache shoots himself. [nb]Only joking, but the bit were they're killing the kids with poison is awful.[/nb]

The teenage duo committing suicide in the street is a particularly tragic shot[nb]ho-ho![/nb] too.

Benevolent Despot

Spoiler alert
The otter in Ring of Bright Water
[close]
. They showed us that in primary school and I was mortified at
Spoiler alert
the otter's demise
[close]
. Sliced in two with a spade.

That's the only thing I remember about it.

The horror

The horror

Steven

Boy Bruce Willis witnessing the shooting of adult Bruce Willis in the airport in 12 Monkeys. It's like the emotional glue[nb]not THAT kind[/nb] securing a beautifully tragic moebius strip.

Quote from: SteveDave on January 22, 2013, 03:58:40 PM
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou- When the screen flashed red when
Spoiler alert
[close]

The bit where Cody, the three legged dog, gets left behind on the pirate island upset me even more.

In terms of actual humans,
Spoiler alert
the revelation that Anthony has been dead all along
[close]
in Dead Man's Shoes hit me for six, and I even get teary whenever I've watched it again. Paddy Considine's delivery of the line
Spoiler alert
"He still is"
[close]
after asking
Spoiler alert
"was he screaming my name?"
[close]
seems to have a direct line to my cry-gland.

Oh, and RP McMurphy of course. Not so much his death though, more his lobotomy.

Incandenza

In Serenity I was fucking furious
Spoiler alert
when Wash died. He had very little actual screen time in the film and it felt thrown in just to have some 'MOSHUNS at the end.
[close]
But there's all kinds of problems with that film but we don't need to get into that.

Again, not a film, but in Battlestar
Spoiler alert
when Billy gets killed in the crappy hostage situation early on, especially after the horrible girl he's in love with goes off with horrible Apollo. And then poor President Rosling weeping "You're so young!". Too much. Just too much.
[close]

And Cast Away.
Spoiler alert
Wilson.
[close]

Mister Six

Nobody doing Up, then? No? Okay:

Up.

Spoiler alert
The wife, obviously - not her actual death (though that's sad), but the bit where he reaches (almost) the end of the photo album and sees her message - 'Thanks for my adventure. Now go have yours.'
[close]
I am genuinely about to start blubbing in front of co-workers. Argh, argh, fucking film. Off for a walk.[nb]Wank.[/nb]

madhair60

Ohhh yeah, Dead Man's Shoes.  Far, far too close to home.  Fucking hate that brilliant film.

Mister Six

Quote from: thenoise on January 22, 2013, 08:59:34 PMPlague Dogs -
Spoiler alert
accidental death of that farmer fellow by gunshot to the head.  Comes out of nowhere and is pretty shockingly gory/nasty for cartoonland
[close]

Yeah. There's an animated gif here, and... fucking hell. By the looks of it he's not even dead - he's alive with a blown-off face. Jesus.

Oh, and one I mentioned in a similar thread, before: the bit in The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, where
Spoiler alert
the boy in the workhouse - I recall him being vaguely sympathetic, even - falls feet-first into a mangle. There's a shot of him, having been pulled in to his waist, thrashing around in desparation and disbelief as he continues to sink in. Eurgh.
[close]