Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film deaths that genuinely upset you

Started by Custard, January 22, 2013, 12:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 02, 2013, 07:48:43 PM
Eh? Tim Roth is fantastic in RD! Nothing wrong with his accent either

When did you see it last? It's appalling, especially his backstory section when he's training to be an undercover cop. Honestly, Peri from 'Doctor Who' is more convincing.

Hangthebuggers

Any of the senseless killings in the piano or Schindler's list.
Spoiler alert
Especially the executions, just so cold and inhuman.
[close]

Also
Spoiler alert
Vin Diesel's
[close]
death in saving Private Ryan. Crying for his Mum and holding the bloodstained note to his chest whilst the rest of the soldiers look upon him helpless as they're pinned by sniper fire.

Spoiler alert
The waiter
[close]
in the Soprano's
Spoiler alert
When Paulie and Chrissie throw a rock at him when he comes out to complain he's only trying to make a living.
[close]

The Wire -
Spoiler alert
Little Kevin's death on the orders of Marlo, when Bodie tells him to confess the mistake to Marlo. It's the complete disregard and casualness of it as he's led to the car
[close]

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: non capisco on February 05, 2013, 11:36:50 PM
When did you see it last? It's appalling, especially his backstory section when he's training to be an undercover cop. Honestly, Peri from 'Doctor Who' is more convincing.

I've watched it at least once a year since about 1995

Garam

yeah Tim Roth's accent is fine. Remember seeing 'Made in Britain' in HMV as a young teen, being surprised that he was British.

non capisco

Kane Jones

I think Hugh Laurie's accent in House is laughably shit, and yet I'm informed that real actual proper Americans thought he was a fellow yank.  Now is it that his accent is actually shit, or is it that I'm so used to hear him bumbling away as George in Blackadder that it just sounds like a crap American accent?  If the latter is the case, could the same be said for Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs?

El Unicornio, mang

I generally don't trust any British person saying that a Brit actor's American accent is crap. Michael Caine got a lot of flak from British critics for his accent in Cider House Rules, but American critics praised it as it was actually a spot on New England accent. It works the other way too, an American I met once thought I was putting on a crap British accent, because I don't sound like Hugh Grant or someone from Snatch.

Hank Venture

Americans are idiots, though.

Tim Robbins' death in Mystic River is pretty heartbreaking.

The Fly is the main one for me. Is there a more drawn out tragic film death? Heartbreaking.

In The Hairdresser's Husband the second hairdresser kills herself because she'll never be as happy again and worries her husband will lose interest in her. They've just made love and she runs out into a storm and jumps off a bridge. It's a mixture of emotions and the husband then does a funny dance around the shop so it's partly affirming and commemorative. The first hairdresser killed herself so it's not even a complete shock, but it is upsetting.

The Wicker Man. Something about watching him certain to die but waiting in his little hut enclosed and saying the psalms to God and the sun. It puts you in the place of someone trapped and waiting to die.

dr_christian_troy

Regarding Boogie Nights,
Spoiler alert
William H Macy's death - aside from being a pivotal turning point in the atmosphere of the film - is hinted as funny but is just shocking and depressing really. Can't blame him though, having just shot his wife and her lover.
[close]

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Her Lover -
Spoiler alert
The Lover being stuffed to death with book pages? The Wife gets her own back, but that was just horrible.
[close]

Not so much a death scene, but Life During Wartime features
Spoiler alert
an utterly mesmerising confrontation between a boy and his estranged father. After the father disappears, it is later implied he has died, as he later seen as a ghost walking casually in the background in the end scene, and it's really quite startling.
[close]

Batteries Not Included used to have me devastated as a kid. Even more so I was moved when the punk bloke helps the little old lady get out of the fire - something about that always gets me welling up.

TV - Breaking Bad, totally agree with Serge on that.
Spoiler alert
I'd recommend checking out the Behind The Scenes video of that too - just as upsetting.
[close]
Also, in the same series,
Spoiler alert
Jane. Let's not forget that this episode begins with the birth of his daughter, and there he is, hovering over the body of someone else's daughter he let die. His face going through the motions immediately after she dies is a huge turning point.
[close]

For all intent and purposes, and not forgetting it is set in a funeral parlour, but there are so many moments that have shot me to pieces in Six Feet Under. Aside from having the
Spoiler alert
most moving ending I've ever seen
[close]
, the death of
Spoiler alert
Nate's wife Lisa and her subsequent burial has got to be seen to be believed. I elaborate on it here if anyone's interested.
[close]

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 11, 2013, 03:50:14 AM
Six Feet Under. Aside from having the
Spoiler alert
most moving ending I've ever seen
[close]

The previous episode, with
Spoiler alert
Nate's funeral
[close]
, was briefly top of my 'most moving episodes' list[nb]I have no such list, but if I did my previous statement would be accurate.[/nb], but then to follow it up with that most perfect of
Spoiler alert
endings
[close]
was almost too much. If there is such a thing as too much bittersweetness. Just brilliantly conceived, written and performed. I find it very hard to believe that it's possible to
Spoiler alert
end a show
[close]
better than that.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Hank Venture on February 11, 2013, 01:32:09 AM
Americans are idiots, though.

They're not the ones who don't understand what an American accent sounds like though

vrailaine

Here's a few

The Grey: Thought the guy who
Spoiler alert
died near the start was surprisingly effective. Neeson's death at the end too
[close]
, not sure how exactly because it also felt a fair bit ridiculous.

Lilja 4-Ever: When that guy left the
Spoiler alert
door open and she ran off and jumped off the bridge, pretty obvious it was coming but a bleak fucker of a film
[close]

The Vanishing:
Spoiler alert
I dunno, just executed well, yeah? The ending?
[close]

Ikiru:
Spoiler alert
Really learned to love that old bastard as the film went on, favourite film character ever maybe.
[close]

Make Way For Tomorrow:
Spoiler alert
Not really the death of a person, but, it's the end of them. Kinda super easy sentimentality and whatnot, maybe, but really sad.
[close]

Haven't seen Amour yet, but I'm looking forward to it tearing my heart into tiny pieces.

RE: Six Feet Under, I thought the finale was alright, but I never really got the gushing praise for it.
Spoiler alert
Nate's death was fairly well ruined for me by Narm
[close]

Cohaagen

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on February 11, 2013, 02:40:27 AM
The Fly is the main one for me. Is there a more drawn out tragic film death? Heartbreaking.

It's the only film that I can recall being markedly emotionally affected by as an adult. In one of the deleted segments (just after the hilarious and appalling "Monkeycat") there's a bit where Brundle crawls onto the roof of his lab at night and just starts barking "No! No! No!" like an animal. That got me as much as any of the other scenes that were left in. Brilliant score too. The opera version looks like an absolute hoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiOVFc_FW4w

Love to take six cans and a big foam pointy hand along to that.

#Happened to be-ee in the neighbourhoo-oo-d, felt a bit...scu-uu-uu-u-uu-uu-mm-yyyyyyyy!#

The
Spoiler alert
little speccy guy getting aced in a lift
[close]
in The Untouchables is quite sad too.

Surprised no one has mentioned
Spoiler alert
the title character
[close]
from Leon yet. Are people just glad to see
Spoiler alert
a French paedophile
[close]
get rubbed out?

The funeral of Newt and Hicks in Alien 3 is one of the film's better scenes. I remember when the movie came out and the huge outraged exchange of letters that ensued in the pages of the official UK Aliens Magazine regarding what many people thought was a cheap shot. Personally I think it sets the super-bleak tone of the movie quite well, shame the script was shit.

Spoiler alert
Blaster, the deadly simpleton
[close]
from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, taking a couple of crossbow bolts to the chest upset me when I was a kid.

Felt sorry for the little old guy who lives on a raft down in the oil tanks of the Deez in Waterworld and gets consumed by a fireball. Bad way to go.

Brundle-Fly

The Front (1976)
Spoiler alert
Hecky Brown (Zero Mostel) jumping out a 12th storey window when he realises his career is fucked by the McCarthy brigade..
[close]

Doesn't quite count, but the ending of 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' got to me more than it should have.
Spoiler alert
Tuco was the only interesting character in the film. He carries the whole film till that point. Then it just focuses on him slowly choking to death, tears in his eyes, struggling to scream, begging for Eastwood to come save him but barely able to shout anymore or else he'll choke to death...Man...Bloody harrowing. Sure, he didn't die, but I've never been upset over a character dying. Only that one scene.
[close]

lazarou

Spoiler alert
Boltie
[close]
from Super was one that shocked me enough to throw me out of the film entirely. Probably assisted by having seen Kick-Ass not long before, making me come into it with entirely the wrong expectations. On subsequent viewings it's by far the better film, though. Like a lot of examples listed here, it's the off-handedness of it that really shocked me.

A more recent one was
Spoiler alert
the kid sister
[close]
in Excision. Especially tragic as
Spoiler alert
you can clearly see the way things are headed but hope they couldn't go there. And then they play it so slowly, in so much detail to really rub your face into it for even thinking that.
[close]
The first time in a very long time I thought I was actually going to be physically sick after the credits rolled.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Spoiler alert
Steve Zahn's character
[close]
in Rescue Dawn. The characters endure absolute living hell and, just when you think things may possibly turn out alright, some crappy yokel attacks him, unprovoked, and
Spoiler alert
lops off his head
[close]

Vodka Margarine

The Never Ending Story horse in the quicksand is a pretty fucking harrowing scene. I was seven years old when I first saw it. Absolutely bawled my face off.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: vrailaine on February 11, 2013, 04:28:18 PM
Spoiler alert
Neeson's death at the end too
[close]

Spoiler alert
If Neeson died in The Grey, they didn't show it
[close]

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 25, 2013, 01:54:03 PM
Spoiler alert
If Neeson died in The Grey, they didn't show it
[close]

Spoiler alert
The post-end-credits scene is left open-ended, but he does appear dead-ish.
[close]

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 25, 2013, 02:26:48 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
I've heard he's got a massive donger
[close]

checkoutgirl

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 25, 2013, 02:26:48 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
Being pedantic, deadish ≠ dead. I don't watch credits though because I can't be bothered.
[close]

PAGATRON

As far as I can remember only two scenes have Really disturbed me:

The ending of Looking for Mr. Goodbar

And (don't laugh) Spooks the very second episode where
Spoiler alert
Lisa Faulkner character gets it
[close]

billyandthecloneasaurus

Spoiler alert
Barney
[close]
in
Spoiler alert
Pukahontas
[close]

danyulx

Macaulay Culkin getting stung to death by bees at the end of pre-teen romantic drama 'My Girl' (1991). The only time in the cinema I  broke down and wept. "He needs his glasses!.. He can't see without his glasses!"

Bollocks to your spoilers. If you haven't seen it there's something wrong with you anyway.

Also: the cartoon boot getting melted to death in a barrel of acid by Christopher Lloyd in 'Who Framed Rodger Rabbit?' No need in that in a PG, or even an NC-17 for that matter.

Also, the barrage of death and torture at the finale of 'Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom' makes for uncomfortable viewing. As do the many deaths in the 'August Underground' Trilogy, especially the twin brother murder in the first one and bloke nailed to the table getting his throat slit in the last one.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Cohaagen on February 11, 2013, 05:43:16 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned
Spoiler alert
the title character
[close]
from Leon yet.

I very nearly mentioned this, as it was more than a tad gutting, but I don't think anything other than the bittersweet, pyrrhic ending we got would've worked half as well.

Lieutenant Longstay

Spoiler alert
Kelly Brook getting eaten by piranhas
[close]
in Piranha 3D. It put me right off my stroke for a minute.