Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:08:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

WTF Is This New iTunes SHITE!? DIE VILE ABOMINATION!

Started by Dead kate moss, January 25, 2013, 10:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on April 11, 2013, 07:29:18 PM
Did AVG fuck anyone else's iTunes in the mouth this week?

Playlists, podcasts and songs (exceot for iTunes purchased music) all gone (not deleted though). Basically a reset iTunes.

In the past, there has been trouble with AVG thinking that the iTunes music library is a virus (insert joke here) – and I've read quite a bit in the last few days about a problem. From what I remember, the advice is to make sure that you exclude iTunes music library files from AVG.

Have a look online because there's a fair amount of discussion.

Johnny Townmouse

I've been on forums for days about this. It's fine - I got a refund from AVG and will switch to Avast.

Pain in the erse.

hedgehog90

In the most recent update, they've made it IMPOSSIBLE to view large album artwork.
My library is full of crisp 1000x1000 JPGs, that I enjoy looking at from time to time. Now I can't view it any larger than about 400x400.
This is crazy... They're removing more and more functionality.
And is there any chance of adding FLAC capability soon? NO.
Any chance of bringing back cover flow? NO.

I fucking hate apple and their cunty ways.

BlodwynPig

Aggghhhhhhh - they are just making it more appealing to kids.

Unoriginal

Last iTunes update wiped 112GB of music/comedy/podcasts. Still haven't recovered mentally.

syntaxerror

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 12, 2013, 11:04:17 AM
In the past, there has been trouble with AVG thinking that the iTunes music library is a virus (ITUNES MUSIC LIBRARY IS A VIRUS!) – and I've read quite a bit in the last few days about a problem. From what I remember, the advice is to make sure that you exclude iTunes music library files from AVG.

Have a look online because there's a fair amount of discussion.

olliebean

They've also made it so you can't go to the App Store page of an app whilst viewing app updates, meaning you can't check reviews to see if people are saying the new update is crap before installing it. (Well, not without a lot of faff, anyway.)

Although on the plus side, at least they've put a progress bar back on the Mini Player.

Hat FM

unless i'm missing something it doesnt seem to let you update all apps at the same time only one by one.

olliebean

Quote from: Hat FM on May 28, 2013, 05:05:41 PM
unless i'm missing something it doesnt seem to let you update all apps at the same time only one by one.

There's still an "Update All Apps" button, but it's at the bottom whereas I think it used to be at the top.

Johnny Townmouse

I'm not going to list all the problems I have with the new iTunes (although the search function is ungodly compared to what they had previously). My main issue is the fact that no matter what I'm doing, my iTunes will lock-up every minute or so for about 5-10 seconds. I can be doing anything and it will happen. The weird thing is that it doesn't affect playback, in other words the song won't pause, just my ability to browse, or select songs, or queue, or do anything.

If this is to do with my PC's memory and/or RAM then I would love to know. How would I test something like that?

HELP.

Johnny Textface

Do you have access to another machine where you could install this latest version? See if it occurs generally? Maybe import some of your library onto the other machine? Take it apples support have no insight?

I have an iTunes problem. The other day I was listening to Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde. I got to track 5, the lovely 'I Want You', at which point the album artwork changed, entirely of it's own accord, from this:

to this:

I've tried manually changing the artwork for this particular track back to the actual album artwork, but it automatically changes back to that bunch of Mexican fellas. What the bloody hell can I do to fix this?!

olliebean

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 07, 2014, 07:13:08 PM
I'm not going to list all the problems I have with the new iTunes (although the search function is ungodly compared to what they had previously). My main issue is the fact that no matter what I'm doing, my iTunes will lock-up every minute or so for about 5-10 seconds. I can be doing anything and it will happen. The weird thing is that it doesn't affect playback, in other words the song won't pause, just my ability to browse, or select songs, or queue, or do anything.

If this is to do with my PC's memory and/or RAM then I would love to know. How would I test something like that?

HELP.

No, I think that's just because iTunes is a poorly programmed piece of shit. It does that to me as well, and I'm not even close to running low on RAM.

On the bright side, you can revert to the old search function by deselecting "Search Entire Library" in the search dropdown menu.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Johnny Textface on January 07, 2014, 07:25:09 PMDo you have access to another machine where you could install this latest version? See if it occurs generally? Maybe import some of your library onto the other machine? Take it apples support have no insight?

I don't really have another machine to do this with other than a couple of big expensive Macs. Apple are no good at all, likewise the many forums in which the main advice appears to be "maybe iTunes is updating as you try and use it."

Quote from: olliebean on January 07, 2014, 09:58:56 PM
No, I think that's just because iTunes is a poorly programmed piece of shit. It does that to me as well, and I'm not even close to running low on RAM.[/img]

That's what I thought. At first I thought it was because I have over 200 GB of music - but having spoken to a couple of audiophile friends, this appears to be a very modest sized collection.

THANK YOU.

Jawaka

Quote from: Jimmy the Harp on January 07, 2014, 08:27:20 PM
I've tried manually changing the artwork for this particular track back to the actual album artwork, but it automatically changes back to that bunch of Mexican fellas. What the bloody hell can I do to fix this?!

By manually changing you mean going to the artwork tab and dragging the artwork in, yeah? I think somewhere there's an option which clears all the artwork from the track too, could try that if you haven't already. I know I had this issue with numerous tracks and I think it's because you can store many artworks for the same track.. Could be wrong, stopped using it. While it was wonderful on a Mac, it's the opposite on a PC.

Oh you could try turning off auto artwork downloading, modify the artwork manually then turn it back on?

Replies From View

I personally think you should keep the Mexican fellas.

hedgehog90

I use iTunes exclusively for podcasts now, and last night I started downloading a few podcasts. With each download it got more sluggish, every now and then freezing for 20 seconds, and then it crashed.
iTunes is a lost cause. It's crazy how bad it is, it should be a scandal.
Apple have done an exceedingly bad job of updating it over the years. It is definitively UNUSABLE! (for windows users)

Jump ship and use MusicBee if you have a large music collection. Its the best music manager I've used, it's fast and lightweight and has all the features of iTunes. I have 50,000 songs on it and it works fine. Best of all it kept ALL the stats from my iTunes. Unfortunately it's shite with podcasts so I still use iTunes for them.
Also it can sync media with android devices.

glitch

Does anyone know how to fix duplicate artists? As an example I've got A.Skillz listed as two separate artists in the artists view and yet all the relevant metadata for all the releases is identical. One release is even split across these two different A.Skillzs.

NoSleep

It may be that there is an entry in Album Artist as well. If the entry in the "album artist" is different to the one for "artist" then it may overide corrections made under "artist".

If there is no entry in "Album Artist" then it may be a space at the end of some the "Artist" entry or similar. Best thing to do is select all of the tracks by the artist at once and globally edit them by viewing info. If there is no entry in the "artist" field this indicates that there are some differences in the way they are typed (if there is a name shown, then they are already all identical). Just enter the correct name and click "ok".

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: glitch on January 08, 2014, 12:19:30 PM
Does anyone know how to fix duplicate artists? As an example I've got A.Skillz listed as two separate artists in the artists view and yet all the relevant metadata for all the releases is identical. One release is even split across these two different A.Skillzs.

Yeah. 'Get Info' is your friend when it comes to library sorting anomalies. I can spend a good couple of hours tidying up my iTunes listings, and don't even get me onto 'duplicate items' which, for no good reason includes the same titled track but on different albums. As if iTunes don't know that compilations exist.

NoSleep

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 08, 2014, 01:28:59 PM
Yeah. 'Get Info' is your friend when it comes to library sorting anomalies. I can spend a good couple of hours tidying up my iTunes listings, and don't even get me onto 'duplicate items' which, for no good reason includes the same titled track but on different albums. As if iTunes don't know that compilations exist.

"Compilations" is an option in "Get Info". Just tick it and the album gets filed away in a folder called Compilations. I prefer not to tick it and repeat the album title in "Album Artist" so that it's filed in the main directory. I suppose you could make the Album Artist "VA" or "Various Artists", etc. Definitely make sure that "Compilations" is not ticked for Best Of collections.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: NoSleep on January 08, 2014, 01:49:38 PM
"Compilations" is an option in "Get Info". Just tick it and the album gets filed away in a folder called Compilations. I prefer not to tick it and repeat the album title in "Album Artist" so that it's filed in the main directory. I suppose you could make the Album Artist "VA" or "Various Artists", etc. Definitely make sure that "Compilations" is not ticked for Best Of collections.

I've been going through that very process just this week in order to stop 'Artists View' listing each compilation entry separately, which gets on my tits no end. I just have so so so so so many of them....

glitch

Thanks for the replies but I've already checked the Album Artist stuff, copied and pasted A.Skillz from one field to another etc. I probably should have made that clear, metadata is one of those things I try to make sure is as accurate as possible. And that's why this bug is driving me crazy.

NoSleep

Don't just copy and paste. Select all the tracks and retype the name.

Are they tremendously old mp3's? I've had problems with changing tags on some old ones, even when I used an app that was meant to remove all ID3 tags and then rewrote them manually.

olliebean

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 08, 2014, 01:28:59 PM

"Get Info" is certainly not my friend. Half the time when I try to use "Get Info" iTunes just crashes. (And it's not just me; if I search for this problem, as with most other iTunes problems, I find that loads of people have been complaining about it for years.) I tidied up my iTunes library by editing the tags with a 3rd-party program (mp3tag) and then using "Consolidate files" to import the changes back into iTunes.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: olliebean on January 08, 2014, 07:22:13 PM
"Get Info" is certainly not my friend. Half the time when I try to use "Get Info" iTunes just crashes. (And it's not just me; if I search for this problem, as with most other iTunes problems, I find that loads of people have been complaining about it for years.) I tidied up my iTunes library by editing the tags with a 3rd-party program (mp3tag) and then using "Consolidate files" to import the changes back into iTunes.

That's one problem I haven't had, oddly. Get Info is the only reason I can keep using iTunes, as it is the only aspect of the software that I can use to get rid of the bizarre inconsistent allocation of artist, group artist and other variables.

NoSleep

If anyone's using iTunes on a Mac, I recommend taking a look at Doug's Scripts, which has lots of nice scripts for tweaking the tags in your collection.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

My main use for iTunes (with the help of the above) is filing any incoming mp3s correctly in my collection. I don't actually use it to play them generally, though (as it's too sluggish).

glitch

Quote from: NoSleep on January 08, 2014, 03:19:23 PM
Don't just copy and paste. Select all the tracks and retype the name.

Already done that :/

Are they tremendously old mp3's? I've had problems with changing tags on some old ones, even when I used an app that was meant to remove all ID3 tags and then rewrote them manually.

Nah, all purchased in the past 2 years. I've got mp3 files going back about 15 years that don't have any problems.

NoSleep

I wonder if they have stuff embedded in them that can't be erased by the usual method; like when you download a podcast in iTunes and can't file it anywhere but the "podcasts" folder, no matter what you try and do with the tags? There was a method I came across to hack them, but it was ages ago now.