Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:09:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

WTF Is This New iTunes SHITE!? DIE VILE ABOMINATION!

Started by Dead kate moss, January 25, 2013, 10:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on January 08, 2014, 07:53:50 PM
I wonder if they have stuff embedded in them that can't be erased by the usual method; like when you download a podcast in iTunes and can't file it anywhere but the "podcasts" folder, no matter what you try and do with the tags? There was a method I came across to hack them, but it was ages ago now.

A quick look at the extended tags in mp3tag suggests it's a tag called ITUNESPODCAST, which is set to 1 for a podcast and absent for something that isn't one. There's also tags called ITUNESPODCASTDESC, ITUNESPODASTID, and ITUNESPODCASTURL, which might need to be deleted.

Alternatively, if Get Info in iTunes is working reliably for you, presumably you can just change the Media Kind in the Options tab to something other than Podcast.

Puffin Chunks

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 08, 2014, 07:42:11 PM
That's one problem I haven't had, oddly. Get Info is the only reason I can keep using iTunes, as it is the only aspect of the software that I can use to get rid of the bizarre inconsistent allocation of artist, group artist and other variables.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. MediaMonkey is by far and away the best music library management software out there[nb]for Windows.[/nb]. You can import you iTunes Library, do podcasts, sync multiple players (included iPod Classic and earlier models) and it has a plethora of options for cleaning up the Library/finding duplicates etc. which actually work. And if they don't, then there are a tonne of user created plug-ins that will probably do the job for you.

I have paid for the Gold version, put the free version still runs rings around iTunes.

I don't know how I ever survived on iTunes, and I would never go back.

NoSleep

Quote from: olliebean on January 08, 2014, 09:05:02 PM
A quick look at the extended tags in mp3tag suggests it's a tag called ITUNESPODCAST, which is set to 1 for a podcast and absent for something that isn't one. There's also tags called ITUNESPODCASTDESC, ITUNESPODASTID, and ITUNESPODCASTURL, which might need to be deleted.

Alternatively, if Get Info in iTunes is working reliably for you, presumably you can just change the Media Kind in the Options tab to something other than Podcast.

I'm using an ancient version of iTunes, to avoid as much bloat as possible, so that option isn't available. I'm not worried about changing them, I was just suggesting that mp3s can have stuff embedded in them that isn't always changeable via the tags.

glitch

I fixed the issue in the end by getting all the tracks, changing the name/artist name from A. Skillz to A. Skills and back again, as well as clearing all the sort name etc. options (which I'm pretty sure were blank anyway).

NoSleep

Spiteface

Such as...?

I'm asking because I just updated to the most recent one(11.3.1.2, apparently), and it barely works.

I open it, and a good few times I get "iTunes has stopped working" and it closes. I looked it up and it seems I'm not the only one getting this. Takes a good few goes before it stays open.

So I'm thinking of just using something else where I can just sync my iPod and listen to music/podcasts without stuff like this happening.

the science eel

Quote from: Spiteface on August 10, 2014, 12:15:40 PM
Such as...?

I'm asking because I just updated to the most recent one(11.3.1.2, apparently), and it barely works.

I open it, and a good few times I get "iTunes has stopped working" and it closes. I looked it up and it seems I'm not the only one getting this. Takes a good few goes before it stays open.

So I'm thinking of just using something else where I can just sync my iPod and listen to music/podcasts without stuff like this happening.

Same goes for me. But apparently despite all these grand claims made for mediamonkey, you can't easily sync your iPod/iPhone/iPad to it without going through all sorts of palaver.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Spiteface on August 10, 2014, 12:15:40 PM
Such as...?

I've always found iTunes to do this.  If I leave it for any length of time, and go back to it, it spends a load of time being frozen and barely operational. The newest update hasn't fixed this at all.

Spiteface

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 10, 2014, 12:33:02 PM
I've always found iTunes to do this.  If I leave it for any length of time, and go back to it, it spends a load of time being frozen and barely operational. The newest update hasn't fixed this at all.

I've never really had that problem.

The problem I'm getting, and it seems I'm not the only one, is if Itunes opens on the "Podcasts" section. It stops working almost right away, the "iTunes has stopped working" notice comes up, and iTunes closes. If that doesn't happen, clicking the refresh button on said section will do it.

El Unicornio, mang

Sorry, I misread your post. Haven't had the "itunes is not working" thing as you described, just issues with freezing and sluggishness. Never had any problems with Mediamonkey, but I do like to use itunes for podcasts and playlists.