Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:32:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Childhood injustices

Started by 23 Daves, January 25, 2013, 01:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

1. As a kid I was always losing stuff, and when I was 11 or 12 I lost my new football boots. This was just the latest in a series of things I'd lost (I remember losing my Midland Bank Griffin account bag around that time) so my mum was furious, and I had to hand over the money I'd been saving up for something, which was about £10. This was in about 1984, so £10 was a fortune to an 11-year-old. I assumed that the idea was that the £10 would be used to replace the boots, which would have been fair enough, but no. Not only did I not have the £10 any more, but I didn't have any football boots either.

2. I was sitting next to Martyn Jones in history, and he threw my exercise book at Dr Gooderson[nb]Whose brother once played Davros in Doctor Who. He must have been so happy about that.[/nb]. He picked the book up, looked at the name on the cover and sent me out of the room. I think what annoyed me more than the basic injustice was that he thought I might have been so stupid as to throw my own book at him.

Cerys

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 26, 2013, 04:10:44 PM
If I was able to re-enter today, I would choose Egginafuckinchip, or Egg Within An Egg.

Surely it should be Humpty Dumpty in the middle of his homicidal rampage.  Nursery rhyme characters lying dead and wounded one either side as Humpty, tumescent in victory, laughs manically.

Edited because I'm a fuckwit

Nowhere Man

When I was in primary school I was in the playground with one of my friends who has ADHD, he had been very hyper and quite over-bearing on that day and for some stupid reason he slapped me in the face with full force from both of his hands which I remember being excruciatingly painful and it set me off. I had always been quiet as a young child (I still am now) but I told him to fuck off as loud as I could, of course his Mother who just happens to be an employee at the school happened to be near by. I got sent straight to the head's office and was given a lecture on why it is bad to swear and after writing a long apology was excluded for the first time in my life. The other boy wasn't excluded, or punished at all.  A few days later a letter was sent to my home saying that although it was wrong of him to hit me "Swearing is much worse that hitting someone."

Inaniloquent

I did three eggs like a rock band. They had little Mohicans, guitars, tiny leather jackets with glue studs. To avoid the inevitable plague of parents helping, we had to make them entirely in school.

So it was also inevitable some little fucker would smash mine the day before judging day.

Jeez Nowhere man, that is such a shitty lesson to teach children. Teachers go on about 'those parents' but if you were my kid I'd be down there pointing out I'd teach my kid to swear all the hell they liked in the face of provocation. To be fair I think things have changed in that regard. Kids are encouraged to shout for their own protection, I think, what with the invention of modern paedophilia. And then with other kids, my eldest is 3 and at nursery they're encouraged to stand up for themselves by saying "I don't like that!" and walking away. Sure beats the old 'just put up with it, darling, I'm sure they're just jealous of you.'

Cerys

Nowhere Man - you were excluded for swearing?!  I'm not sure that's allowed!

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Cerys on January 26, 2013, 05:28:48 PM
Nowhere Man - you were excluded for swearing?!  I'm not sure that's allowed!

Yep, thats what happened. My Mum wasn't happy at all especially when she received that letter. BTW this was only about 11/12 years ago!

Cerys

If I'd been your mum I would have raised holy hell with your LEA.

Lyfjaberg

Quote from: Cerys on January 26, 2013, 05:43:30 PM
If I'd been your mum I would have raised holy hell with your LEA.

If I'd been your LEA, I would have told you not to be his mum.

Thursday

And the thing is, there's always the kids who break the rules everyday with no consequence, or maybe a 10 minute detention at most. I'm not even talking about very serious things, just getting caught chewing gum everyday or eating in class, or never actually bringing a pen or book with them, or even as far as throwing things at someone in front of them. Not that they deserve to expelled instantly, everyone does these things at varying points, but the complete lack of consequences some people faced despite being told off several times in every class every day always confused me.

Nowhere Man

I remember my mum went straight to the head teacher and got an apology and it was stricken from the record. So it did get sorted in the end.

Saucer51

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 26, 2013, 04:10:44 PM
You suggested something not so far removed from that yourself in a topic relating to gender a month or two ago.

If anyone was going to pick the bones out of anything I type, it was going to be you. It usually is. Enjoy.

Cerys

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 26, 2013, 06:03:28 PM
I remember my mum went straight to the head teacher and got an apology and it was stricken from the record. So it did get sorted in the end.

Fantastic.  Tell your mum she's great.

Lyfjaberg

Quote from: Saucer51 on January 26, 2013, 06:04:27 PM
If anyone was going to pick the bones out of anything I type, it was going to be you. It usually is. Enjoy.

Don't forget me. I've been asked to fill in on alternate Wednesdays.

The Giggling Bean

Here's a few from secondary school.......

The tennis courts in the playground were fenced off with criss crossed metal wire. Several of the more vandalistic pupils used to kick it or hurl themselves into it. One day, whilst talking with some friends, a hyperactive acquaintance charged at me from behind and knocked me into the fencing. My impact caused it to split somewhat. I was yanked up by the PE teacher who proceeded to have a go at me for being stupid. After I told him I was pushed into the fence he said "we'll I didn't see much resistance".  Clearly on this occasion the eyes in the back of my head were closed.

Our Design Technology teacher (aside from looking like a skinny Rik Mayall) was an utter dope. He lost a lot of our coursework, then blamed us.....earning me a bollocking from my parents. However at the beginning of term we didn't have a fixed classroom for the lesson. On this particular occasion we had been waiting for 5 mins outside our last used classroom. As there was no sign of him, myself and two friends went off to the staff room to track him down. On the way I was accosted by the headmaster (a nasally bald jobs worth of a man) who presumed we where skiving. After asking us what we where doing, I told him we didn't know which room we where supposed to be in as we kept moving each week. The deputy head came out at this point (a much nicer guy) and asked what was going on. The head turned round and made out we where wasting time then, pointing at me, said "I've just had a real smart answer off this one". The deputy told us which room to go to and we left, but I was really annoyed as he'd pointlessly humiliated me by making me out to be misbehaving.

The head also had a go at me when he caught me taking a chair out of an empty class as we where 1 short in ours. Thankfully on that occasion my teacher backed me up.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 26, 2013, 05:19:32 PM
A few days later a letter was sent to my home saying that although it was wrong of him to hit me "Swearing is much worse that hitting someone."

To which the only logical response is; hitting the author and calling them a cunt to see which one they enjoyed the least.

checkoutgirl

When I was about 8, in 1985/1986, a few of us in the class were messing around with the projector. A projector is like a shitty computer made of glass and light (for any younger folk). We'd stick something like a pen or ruler behind the magnifying glass bit and it would magnify it. Wow!! So I'm sticking this ruler in the thing and suddenly 'click'. "Uh oh, that didn't sound good, quick! Mrs Fury's coming" (she was well named)

Mrs Fury always seemed quite mellow and nice up to that point. When she asked who had been messing with the projector and everyone pointed to me, she unleashed a tirade of screaming and shouting that stayed with me for years. I bawled my eyes out and was quiet for weeks afterwards. Was I ever the same again? I can't say for sure. All I know is that cunt over reacted. I sometimes wonder if most primary school teachers just enjoy bossing and bullying children. How can these cunts justify beating up and screaming for minutes at children that they didn't even give birth to ?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: daffs on January 26, 2013, 10:49:16 AM
secondly, I've been reminded, by references to toilets and shit and things, of the time a kid called james (who also once accidentally kicked a ball in my face at his birthday party football match thing, but it still fucking hurt) who pissed on my trouser legs one school day in year 1. I think we were all allowed a toilet break or something, because there were about 3 of us in a row at the urinal, and he just turned, like a psychopath, and pissed on me.

Ahem. I kind of did that in my first year at school to a kid, though in my defence he was the school bully. Normally he always had a couple of mates with him, as bullies tend to do, but for once it was just myself and him in the loo together. And I hated him so much that I turned around and pissed all over his trousers.

I'm not a psychopath though, I promise.[nb]Even if I am still secretly proud of pissing on him to this day.[/nb]

Lyfjaberg

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 28, 2013, 04:08:00 PM
All I know is that cunt over reacted. I sometimes wonder if most primary school teachers just enjoy bossing and bullying children. How can these cunts justify beating up and screaming for minutes at children that they didn't even give birth to ?

Teachers usually have to deal with high numbers of students, which means policing a huge amount of behaviour.
Therefore conformity is prized.
Therefore teachers who want an easy time will go ballistic at students who do not conform.

This approach does not help to maximise student motivation or achievement.

Cerys

Also a kid stepping even vaguely out of line can be invaluable to a stressed teacher, as it gives them a target for releasing all that stress in the form of mindnumbingly stupid screeching judgment.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Oh, thought of another one: on a maths test we once got the question "How likely is it that today you will go to the moon? Certain/very likely/quite likely/unlikely/impossible". About half of us put 'unlikely', including me, and about half put 'impossible'. The maths teacher (who of course was actually a PE teacher) got us unlikely-ers to put up our hands, and then she smugly and mockingly said to us "That means: perhaps you will go to the moon today?" If she had been curious enough about life to go to slightly out-of-mainstream comedy gigs she might have followed this with a Stewart Lee-esque "that's what you think, isn't it".

She marked it wrong, thereby attempting to crush the very nature of hope and wonder in our hearts, while simultaneously failing to understand Key Stage 2-level probability assessment in one swift stroke.

Ggggnrgh.

23 Daves

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 28, 2013, 04:55:53 PM
Ahem. I kind of did that in my first year at school to a kid, though in my defence he was the school bully. Normally he always had a couple of mates with him, as bullies tend to do, but for once it was just myself and him in the loo together. And I hated him so much that I turned around and pissed all over his trousers.

I'm not a psychopath though, I promise.[nb]Even if I am still secretly proud of pissing on him to this day.[/nb]

I did that to a school bully as well. Clearly this behaviour is more common than I thought.  He did have company with him, but I (rightly, as it luckily turned out) assumed that everybody would be too surprised to react.  He made some threats to me first and tried to humiliate me, and I just laughed and pissed on him.  Violent threats followed the spluttering indignation, and I scarpered before anyone actually had the chance to make good on their promises. 

finnquark

I was 11 when I was selected to wave the big flag they wave at the start of the Champions League games at Old Trafford. The game was the semi final between Manchester United and Bayer Leverkusen. After waving the flag, we got front row seats. Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored (a penalty?) at the end in which we were sat, and I snapped a photo using a disposable camera of his screaming, ecstatic face about two feet away from my beaming grin. This was after loads of photos of players warming up within touching distance, goalkeepers ordering people about, etc.

At the end of the game I put the camera in the bin because I misunderstood the concept of disposable cameras. Memories lost forever.

Cerys

Not so much a childhood injustice as a childhood fuck-up, shurely?

finnquark

I wasn't adequately prepared to handle a disposable camera by mother.

Cerys

Fair enough.  Have another karma point.

hedgehog90

For the last 4 years of secondary school, on a Friday we were all forced to do CCF. (Navy, Army or RAF - I chose the latter)
I really really hated it, and made it quite clear to everyone including the teachers (or Sergeants or whatever their occupation was in their sad little fantasy)
The higher ranking RAF kids were absolute cunts, and they all took it really seriously. They loved bossing around the little kiddies. They took any opportunity to shout at someone or humiliate them or in some cases getting teachers to dish out detentions for them, the power crazed bastards.
What's worse is that teachers overlooked all of it, and when people like myself complained it was ignored.
The uniforms were unbelievably itchy too. I had to wear that shit for 3 hours and it turned my skin red from all the itching.
God I hated it so much.

I tried changing to the Navy but they gave some bullshit reason why I couldn't until the end of the year.
At that point I refused to do CCF. I demonstrated this by going home at 2.30 and convincing my Mum that it was alright.

I did this for a whole year, maybe a year and a half, without any consequences. Nobody ever noticed. They took a register at the beginning of every one but I guess it was assumed I had changed forces.

Then, one Monday during assembly, my name among a few other CCF skivers were read out and we were told to meet the deputy head teacher in his office during lunch break (he was notorious for being a psychotic bastard, prone to screaming like a demon)
Knowing it was unavoidable and I would get in more trouble if I didn't show up, I complied.

He knew what I was up to, so he calmly told me that I could no longer skive CCF, and that as a punishment I would have to attend 8 after-school detentions. Up to this point I had only attended 1 detention, so on hearing I had gotten 8 all at once was pretty devastating.
He never wrote a detention slip though, and he didn't arrange for me to meet with him again either, so for the best part of 2 years I made sure to avoid him.

The End

Sorry. The only injustice to speak of was the beginning part about how the high rankers were bullying wankers; I didn't realise that until the end though.

Big Jack McBastard

The latter half belongs in the 'victories' thread.

'I bunked off an hour early for a year and a half and didn't even get detention!'

Ya spawny get.

neveragain

This thread is monumentally depressing.

There are too many incidents to list from my formative years, particularly in horrendous educational environments. Families who 'home-school' really aren't the nutters everyone would assume.

Lyfjaberg

Quote from: neveragain on January 29, 2013, 05:36:30 PM
There are too many incidents to list from my formative years, particularly in horrendous educational environments. Families who 'home-school' really aren't the nutters everyone would assume.

It is a little bit crazy to protect your child for so many years, and then end up saying at some point (secondary school, college, University, adult working environments): "well, now you are totally incapable of living in the shitty modern world which will seek to tear you apart."

I'm glad I was bullied at school. It prepared me for being bullied for the rest of my life.

Big Jack McBastard

<nicks Lyfjabergs lunch money and gives him a wedgie>