Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Workprints

Started by Junglist, February 05, 2013, 06:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junglist

I've spent today uploading the very rare From Dusk til Dawn workprint to youtube (private video, happy to share), and it got me wondering if anyone on here occasionally views these kinda things.

Anyhoo, the point in hand, I love such things. Seeing the process of a film still in development, the added bits that get chucked on the cutting room floor. It allows me to see (some) of the director's original vision for a film. There's the much publicised Wolverine effort, with a hell of a lot of CGI/effects missing (the ending becomes a whole new bag of what the fuck), the over five hour long Apocalypse Now workprint, The Nightmare Before Christmas one with a lot of the animation not even there, instead replaced with storyboards.

Is anyone else intrigued/interested in such things?

QDRPHNC

Love that kind of thing. The This is Spinal Tap workprint is probably the gold standard. Some of the music was missing, but the whole thing came off more like a 5 hour director's cut than anything else.

phantom_power

I am fascinated with the idea of work prints but struggle with the poor picture and sound quality

Junglist

Quote from: phantom_power on February 05, 2013, 10:52:44 PM
I am fascinated with the idea of work prints but struggle with the poor picture and sound quality

Watch the Wolverine one, if you haven't.

phantom_power

I have. It actually improves the film, turning into a surrealist nightmare

Mister Six

Where might one... acquire the Wolverine workprint?

Junglist

In certain places...

Also, I'll add this here:

I'm in a good mood, so:

One invite to PassThePopcorn (with surprise new user bonus from me). I'm guessing most of you know the tracker and what a pain it can be to get into.

I do, however, need at least two screenshotted proofs of ratios on other trackers (and the name of the tracker), and an assurance you will read the rules before doing anything on there. If you're on KG/CG/Bibliotik/TL/IPTorrents, just tell me your username and I'll look you up. I've worked my way up to Elite on PtP now, so don't want it scuppered. It may seem a bit OTT, but its worth it.

So, if interested, PM the proofs and whoever looks to have the best tracker experience gets it.

Key

The best thing about the Wolverine workprint is Will.I.Am's character. In the final version he teleports in on a cloud of twisting purple CGI smoke, but on the workprint he just shoddily pops up like Marty Hopkirk.

Junglist

I'll give that invite with one proof, by the way. Its just sitting on my account, being useless.

Famous Mortimer

I'd love it, but my account was deactivated for lack of use at KG ages ago because I didn't have decent enough internet to torrent with for about six months, and I don't have any other private tracker memberships. Never mind.

After seeing the redux version of Apocalypse Now, I can't imagine one even longer than that - it was so damn boring. Spinal Tap's, on the other hand, is loads of fun and just reading about it makes me want to go and download it again. What cool stuff has the Dusk til Dawn workprint got? Extra Hayek dancing?

Phil_A

On "Dangerous Days", the making of Blade Runner, they briefly mention the early cut of the film that Ridley Scott prepared for the producers, which was something like four hours long(!) What's more, there are tantalising clips all the way through that haven't shown up as deleted scenes, including an alternate, much longer version of Roy's rooftop speech at the end.  Frustratingly, the workprint they include in the five disc set is the later version that doesn't have any of that, and is pretty much scene for scene the same as the finished film.

Blade Runner is one film I'd dearly love to have access to the rushes of. When you think just how much footage must've been shot, god only knows what they threw away.

El Unicornio, mang

The 3-hour Planes, Trains and Automobiles would excite me greatly.

Also, the nine hour long version of the first two Godfather films (which would basically be 3 hours longer than the theatrical version, or an hour and a half longer than the Godfather Saga) that Coppola presented to his producer in the mid 70s to make the chronological TV version. Some of the footage, such as Michael walking into a pizza shop with a shotgun and blowing away the man who killed his wife, is sadly now gone (only a couple of pictures survive) but there's always hope that a videotape is gathering dust somewhere, waiting to be found...

Junglist

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 12, 2013, 06:31:13 PM
What cool stuff has the Dusk til Dawn workprint got? Extra Hayek dancing?

This is a monster (YEAH!) coming out of Hayek's face (YEAH!)

I have it upped to a dropbox, and a private Youtube video (which is blocked in seemingly everywhere but Australia) so if anyone wants the dropbox details, lemme know.

Rabba

Quote from: Junglist on February 13, 2013, 01:25:37 AM
This is a monster (YEAH!) coming out of Hayek's face (YEAH!)

I have it upped to a dropbox, and a private Youtube video (which is blocked in seemingly everywhere but Australia) so if anyone wants the dropbox details, lemme know.

I know this is an extremely old thread... but I was watching Full Tilt Boogie today and would love to see some of the alternative takes of the vampire FX.  Any possibility of sharing the link? I would be eternally grateful!

I actually have a pair of production used vampire hands in my collection, one of my all time favourites.

Ringside

Would this...still be available, by any chance?

Quote from: Junglist on February 06, 2013, 03:13:34 PM
In certain places...

Also, I'll add this here:

I'm in a good mood, so:

One invite to PassThePopcorn (with surprise new user bonus from me). I'm guessing most of you know the tracker and what a pain it can be to get into.

I do, however, need at least two screenshotted proofs of ratios on other trackers (and the name of the tracker), and an assurance you will read the rules before doing anything on there. If you're on KG/CG/Bibliotik/TL/IPTorrents, just tell me your username and I'll look you up. I've worked my way up to Elite on PtP now, so don't want it scuppered. It may seem a bit OTT, but its worth it.

So, if interested, PM the proofs and whoever looks to have the best tracker experience gets it.

momatt

Quote from: Phil_A on February 12, 2013, 07:41:11 PM
On "Dangerous Days", the making of Blade Runner, they briefly mention the early cut of the film that Ridley Scott prepared for the producers, which was something like four hours long(!) What's more, there are tantalising clips all the way through that haven't shown up as deleted scenes, including an alternate, much longer version of Roy's rooftop speech at the end. 

There's also glimpses of an extended version of that rapey love-scene.  You see some boob.

EDIT: bloody hell, I've just replied to a 7-your old message.

buzby

Quote from: momatt on April 20, 2020, 09:42:33 AM
There's also glimpses of an extended version of that rapey love-scene.  You see some boob.

EDIT: bloody hell, I've just replied to a 7-your old message.
The alternate version of the 'Love Scene' was included in the deleted scenes that were released on the Collectors Edition DVD/BluRay. There's 45 minutes of deleted and alternate scenes in that video, which doesn't even include the extra footage that shot for the Zhora chase scene, which can be seen amonst other unused shots here (extracted from the Dangerous Days documentary).

A clip of the alternate version of Roy's dying monologue can be seen here. I think this was filmed on the first day of shooting the final scene, as Hauer went back to his hotel after a 20-hour day (there was an impending SAG strike and they were trying to get the scene finished before it started) and rewote the dialogue, not knowing if he would get the chance to redo it the next day.

The 'four hour' version of Blade Runner was the Assembly Cut - bascially just getting all the avaialble footage into a sort of final order before the real work of editing begins. They are never intended for distribution, and was actually only seen by Scott and his editor Terry Rawlings before they started making a more realistic edit, the Director's Rough Cut, which after more work became the Director's Fine Cut. it was this version that was shown to Tandem Productions (Jerry Perenchio and Bud Yorkin, the producers who were guarantors of the film and so took over the rights once it went over budget), which they hated and was what prompted them to ask for Ford to record the voiceover.

momatt

Oh lovely, thanks.  I thought I'd seen all the extras on my BluRay, I'll have to have another look.
Unless it's the wrong version?  Mine's the Final Cut.  Is that different to the one you're talking about?

buzby

Quote from: momatt on April 21, 2020, 01:18:42 PM
Oh lovely, thanks.  I thought I'd seen all the extras on my BluRay, I'll have to have another look.
Unless it's the wrong version?  Mine's the Final Cut.  Is that different to the one you're talking about?
It's the 2012 5-disc 30th Anniversary Ultimate Collectors Edition that collects all the publically-available versions of the film (Workprint, US Theatrical Cut, International Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut and Final Cut) as well as the deleted scenes section posted above and the 3-hour Dangerous Days documentary

momatt

Ah, thought it might be.  I'll look for that, thanks!

Jim Bob

The Final Cut would be my preferred edit of Blade Runner, were it only not for the damn teal and orange colour grading that's been slapped on top of it.