Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:19:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What sort of stuff are you listening to at the minute?

Started by Neil, February 05, 2013, 11:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

How have I never heard Liquorice before? Seem to have downloaded them randomly from the indie newsgroup last year, then left them sitting on my HD.  Just noticed someone trying to grab Trump Suit from my Soulseek shares, and checked it out.  A winner.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2faywc

edit: And Trump Suit Edit http://www.sendspace.com/file/ym4dyf

Old Thrashbarg

I've spent the last few days switching between the slightly odd combination of Kate Bush (specifically Hounds Of Love), Chuck Ragan's/Hot Water Music's whole catalogue and Forget Cassettes - mainly Salt, but also giving the new stuff a go. Hopefully O Cursa will get an actual CD release soon so I can give it a proper listen; I think the departure in style from Salt means I really need to listen intently to get the most from it, with online plays not doing the job.

If you've not previously heard them, Neil, I think Forget Cassettes would be right up your musical street. Starting with Salt[nb]Available new from Amazon Marketplace for a grand total of £1.58 it seems.[/nb] first would be my recommendation.

Why I Hate Tables

Playing the first Le Tigre album (the self titled one, I think it's their third) quite a lot at the moment - it's given me a new favourite opening track in Deceptacon. It's like someone's mixed all my favourite types of music together (post-punk, girl-group pop and synth-pop mainly) in a way that really works.

Similarly playing a fair amount of Xiu Xiu, falling in love with Jamie Stewart's strange but beautiful voice in a way I never did the first time I heard them. As with Le Tigre I can see Xiu Xiu's influences but they're made into something that sounds a lot different to the original ingredients. They're just very sincere sounding without being earnest, and with a killer streak of black comedy running through their stuff. There's no attempt at sounding cool, it's not held at arm's length and that's why a song like I Love Abortion from last years Always which would just sound like a bad joke and juvenile shock tactics in a lot of other people's hands/mouths is genuinely moving. That song centers around aborting a child because you couldn't give it the life it would deserve and the point when the churning electronics back off for a second and he shouts "You were too good for this world" is one of those chills down the spine moments. The same as I felt when I first heard the screams of "I miss you" at the end of Good Morning, Captain by Slint or Bjork singing "I love him" over and over again a capella at the end of Pagan Poetry. It's a moment of raw human emotion that, even if it has been rehearsed a thousand times and comped from different takes, sounds like a brave, heart on the line statement.

Xiu Xiu're enough to make me have wrote all that, so they must either be good or terrible. Can anyone recommend anything like them?

Serge

My favourite record at the minute is Pantha Du Prince And The Bell Laboratory's 'Elements Of Light', which is not a million miles away from the sound of his 'Black Noise' from a few years ago, but if you want electronica that literally has bells on, this is the one for you. Or wait, maybe it's the Parquet Courts album, which, yes, prompted me to say "Jonathan Richman wants his act back" on first listen, but has grown on me very much since then. 'Stoned And Starving' is the best song by a guitar band since the Soft Pack's 'Answer To Yourself'.

The Anthroprophh album is amazing. A side project (gertcha) of somebody from The Heads, a band that I never quite got into, but this has yer epic mantras that should appeal to Krautheads everywhere, and one track sounds a lot like Can, but not in an obvious ripping-them-off sort of way. I've also got into the none-more-drone 'G2, 44+/ x2' by Phill Niblock, and 'Point Of Arrival' by Loren Nerell, which should appeal to fans of Laurie Spiegel.

The new 'Pop Ambient' record on Kompakt isn't much of a change from previous volumes, but if you liked them, you'll like this. I quite like the Christopher Owens album, 'Lysandre', with the caveats that it is only 28 minutes long (with a minute or so of silence in the middle) and uses the same melody on about three different tracks.

Listened to the first La Dusseldorf album on the way to work this morning, and have been revisiting Kraftwerk's completely underrated 'Tour De France Soundtracks' album.

phantom_power

I am flitting through the 'G' directory of my music library at the moment so over the last couple of days have listened to:

Galliano - A Joyful Noise Until the Creator: Nostaligic
The Game - The Red Album: Dull
Giant Panda - Electric Lazer: Fun
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass: Niiiice

kitsofan34

My Bloody Valentine- Isn't Anything.
My Bloody Valentine- Loveless.
Fleetwood Mac- Tusk.
Tom Vek- Leisure Seizure.

All thoroughly recommended.

NoSleep

I've been catching up on my knowledge of Hermeto Pascoal (see the documentary I posted in the great documentaries thread). The guy is an absolute genius, finding music in almost anything he sees, hears or touches. Miles Davis said of him that he was the most impressive musician in the world, and I find myself in agreement. Pretty much every album and era throughout his career, spanning back to the 60's, has something great to offer. The most impressive musical figure from arguably the most musical nation in the world.

And here's Hermeto making some water music: http://youtu.be/06Qm-Z5OsHw

Also from Brazil: after checking her recent album (in collaboration with her drummer husband), Samba-Jazz & Outras Bossas by Joyce & Tutty Moreno, I've been chasing down more albums by her, mostly under the name she went with throughout her career until more recently - Joyce. A great singer and guitarist.

And from Indonesia, I've discovered vocalist Detty Kurnia. Not so keen on the best-known album by her: Dari Sunda although it's pretty good stuff in places, albeit imitating western R&B styling in the music at times. But her album Coyor Panon is a stunner (the title track appears on the Oceans Of Sound compilation by David Toop) and I haven't even found the first four tracks of the album as yet. Just the wrong time to be discovering an artist like this, with all the blogs shutting up shop.

Famous Mortimer

Golden Void

I suppose they're like a noise-rock band's take on classic 1970s American rock, and they're fucking brilliant. I hear barely any new bands, so it's nice to find one like this. 

Thursday

Olivier Tremor Control - Dusk at Cubist Castle

Haven't listened to it as much as Black Foliage Animation Music, and working a data entry job that allows me to listen to music and podcasts all day gives me the patience to listen to their long, complex, intricate albums.

Gail Brand & Morgan Guberman - Dig a Ditch and get in. Saw them and others at Cafe Oto recently. Free Improvisation/Jazz vocals isn't anything I'd quite been acquainted with before, so I'm enjoying this. Was already familiar with some of Gail's stuff and she's lovely on twitter...

Also from that gig, I picked up Asunder Trio - The Lamp which features Mark Sanders who was a highlight to me.

Also this staggering, drum heavy but beautiful track by Boredoms who I keep meaning to delve more into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rXbNspWMI It's exhilarating and soothing at the same time. I recommend it if you have 23 minutes free.

Famous Mortimer

Boredoms was the first gig I ever went to at University, I met a few guys who ran a tape label my first fortnight there and we all went to Bristol to see them. They were and are chuffing brilliant.

CaledonianGonzo

Jim McCulloch of the Soup Dragons new band, but a very different sort of proposition, more folk/country rock.  Raymond McGinley of Teenage Fanclub is also in the band on guitar, but the star of the show is Anna Sheard's beautiful voice, a lovely Judy Collins-y, Sandy Denny-ish, Pentangle-y sort of vibe.

Here's ace track Sycamore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYI5WRwHHCc

holyzombiejesus

I've been listening to Nina Nastasia's back catalogue. She's one of those artists that I kind of take for granted but when I take the time to put on one of her records, particularly 2006's On Leaving, I wonder why I'mnot playingit all the time. Gorgeously catchy tunes.

This is a decent recording of a live version of Counting Up Your Bones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yoiCZfjO5s

She's not released anything for a while, has she?

Neville Chamberlain

Just happened upon Cheer-Accident and spent most of the weekend listening to this marvellous track...

According To The Spiral

I've also been re-listening to Clinic in preparation for their post-support slot with The Residents in London in May. It's shaping up to be a great gig year all round: so far, Alright the Captain/Pigshackle, Pere Ubu, NoMeansNo and The Residents/Clinic!!!

Butchers Blind

Not released yet but really enjoying The Stand-In by Caitlin Rose.  Been listening to it constantly since the stream was posted up yesterday.  Lovely Nashville sound.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/album-stream-caitlin-roses-the-stand-in-8496946.html

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 06, 2013, 09:37:23 AM
I've been listening to a fuckload of noisy guitars recently. I've been absolutely loving the garage pop of Mikal Cronin, Ty Segall, White Fence, Thee Oh Sees and all of their associated bands and collaborations, such as Coachwhips, Epsilons and more.

Same here. I adore how ridiculously prolific Ty Segall has been of late. It seems like he accidentally records new albums on the way to the shops some weeks.

non capisco

Quote from: Serge on February 08, 2013, 12:25:03 AM
Parquet Courts

Can't stop playing that track 'Borrowed Time' by them. Great pauseless segue between that and the opening track too.

Serge

I'm pretty hooked on the album at the minute. Have been saying "Forget about it" quite a lot. Harder to slip "Socrates died in the fucking gutter" into everyday conversation, though.

Also the new Wolfgang and Reinhard Voigt album, 'Die Zauberhafte Welt Der Anderen' is excellent too, sounding like Moebius and Plank in some places (always a good thing), though they can fuck off with the 26 minute pointless mantra at the end of the record.

Don_Preston

Volume Two of the Miles Davis Bootleg Series. This time, there're three concerts and a fourth on DVD from 1969, which is my favourite year for Miles. Working with the 'Lost' Third Quintet, with only Wayne Shorter carrying on in the touring group from the Second Great Quintet, joined by Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette. This set is the earliest I've heard from this tour. It still contains some standards and 'old' songs, but updated with the new electric sound. By 1970, the year of the Fillmore concerts, the standards would be dropped. Astonishing release. Already I'm wondering what'll be the theme of Volume 3.

Slightly related, Son Of A Bitches Brew by Acid Mothers Temple. The music doesn't really have much in common with the album it's named after, but is perhaps my favourite studio release of the Japanese psych-noise pranksters. The use of Fender Rhodes and soprano saxophone are welcome additions to the band's repertoire of instruments. The usually whooshy synths and feedback-dripping guitars are present as expected. A different sort of intensity to Miles' album, but no less satifsying.

Acid Mothers Temple - Son of a Bitches Brew

gabrielconroy

Having never really listened to A Love Supreme before, I have done so over the past week and it's got better each time. Hopefully this trend continues, because it's pretty damn good as it is.

daf

Al Kent's 'Disco Love' Volumes 2 & 3

Frustratingly, I can't find a single copy of Volume 1 for sale anywhere for L. nor M.

CaledonianGonzo

copyingdogs

I've really been getting into a newish progressive rock band from near where I live, called Kasper Rosa. I've seen them live a number of times, and they just seem to get better and better. Here's a video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9LZHEiNhmc

Head Gardener

holyzombiejesus

I got the new Boom Bip EP thingy - Charlie White & Boom Bip - Songs For Sleeping Children -  today. I'd gone off him for a bit but really like this. It's a collaboration between him and some bloke called Charlie White and, according to the website set up for the project...

QuoteMusic for Sleeping Children is an experimental collaboration between internationally recognized visual artist [i.e. some bloke] Charlie White and Mercury-nominated musician and producer Boom Bip (also known as Bryan Hollon). The project stems from White's investigations of the representation of American adolescence, and was born from a relationship forged between White and Hollon in 2009 when they collaborated on "We Like to Shop," a simple clap-along song from White's experimental cartoon, OMG BFF LOL that Hollon converted into a throbbing club track for the work's US premier at the Aldrich Museum. From there, White and Hollon set out to realize a far more ambitious project conceived by White as the marriage of in-depth teen interviews, discussions, and studio projects with pop, electronica, hip hop and experimental composition. Working in tandem, White and Hollon fashioned the concept of each track around the original studio recordings of teen girls ranging in age from 12 to 16. From eager enthusiasms, to exuberant chants, to adolescent melancholia, Music for Sleeping Children underscores the complex tensions resonant in the teen voices while transforming each girl into a popular music form of her own. Magical, uncomfortable, and original, Music for Sleeping Children is an artwork, an archive, and an album.

What's more, it seems to be FREE to download from their website.

http://musicforsleepingchildren.com/

My favourite 2 tracks (hate the videos BTW) are

Isabelle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-rye-iQNJQ

and Baylee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ_dpWWpZuE

I also bought the new LP by Glasgow's ace Golden Grrrls, which is equally as good, albeit in a more female fronted indie schmindie way.

Golden Grrrls - Past Tense
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwp1Ilj0tTg

Hangthebuggers

Indulging myself in electronic stuff as per usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DAHkJ2ps3g

Probably not everyone's cup of tea.

SteveDave

On Saturday I downloaded Foxygen's "We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace & Music" after hearing "Oh Yeah" on the youtube.

I recommend it for fans of the 2nd MGMT LP & Flaming Lips when they used to write songs.

Famous Mortimer

I heard Maclemore (sp?) and Ryan Lewis on "Saturday Night Live", and rather liked them. I felt old because I shouldn't be finding out about new music on a bloody mainstream television show, but so be it.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Thursday on February 16, 2013, 08:27:05 PM
Also this staggering, drum heavy but beautiful track by Boredoms who I keep meaning to delve more into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rXbNspWMI It's exhilarating and soothing at the same time. I recommend it if you have 23 minutes free.

Great, I had plans to go and eat lunch and everything, and now I'm glued to the computer for another half an hour. THANKS OBAMA THURSDAY.

Hope you had a lovely birthday by the way, since it's the same day as mine an' all that.

paolozzi

I've been watching this video someone made for a Big'N song from an old Disney cartoon. It fits the song so well, it's just incredibly satisfying to watch.

Big'N are a bit of a post-punk noise outfit from the 90s. Good Shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCaZcgkHSNM