Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What sort of stuff are you listening to at the minute?

Started by Neil, February 05, 2013, 11:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

Of course I do!

You might as well have just asked me, "Have you heard of this great band called The Cardiacs?!?!?"

amnesiac

Don_Preston

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 07, 2013, 01:26:28 PM

You might as well have just asked me, "Have you heard of this great band called The Cardiacs?!?!?"

The what?!!?

EDIT: I think I heard of them being disparaged on the Marillion forum!!

-----------------------

I've been listening to some "acquired" Psychedelic Soul as a continuation of my Sly Stone and P-Funk interest as of late. Purple Image did an album of pretty far out tunes, with an extended live second side, with phaser effects, heavy guitars and even some free jazz saxophone. Very recommended listen.

Then there're Cymande, a group of Caribbean immigrants who settled in London. Their sound is 'drier' and not reliant on effects, and includes a various elements now considered 'World' music without going as far as adopting Reggae conventions. There's still enough time for a ten minute jam, The eponymous debut is well worth a listen. The follow-up Second Time Round is a lighter effort, but still worth hearing.

Lastly, I downloaded The Politicians featuring McKinley Jackson. A mostly instrumental affair on the Hot Wax label, which was the Motown offshoot from H-D-H, which promised more than delivered with titles such as 'Psycha-Soula-Funkadelic' and writing credits from Ruth Copeland (a name familiar to early Parliament fans). Interesting background music, for me, and let down by the saccharine tracks which follow the Motown template without the overwrought lyrics.

QtheRaider

Quote from: Don_Preston on November 07, 2013, 06:20:59 PM
The what?!!?

Then there're Cymande, a group of Caribbean immigrants who settled in London. Their sound is 'drier' and not reliant on effects, and includes a various elements now considered 'World' music without going as far as adopting Reggae conventions. There's still enough time for a ten minute jam, The eponymous debut is well worth a listen. The follow-up Second Time Round is a lighter effort, but still worth hearing.

Lastly, I downloaded The Politicians featuring McKinley Jackson. A mostly instrumental affair on the Hot Wax label, which was the Motown offshoot from H-D-H, which promised more than delivered with titles such as 'Psycha-Soula-Funkadelic' and writing credits from Ruth Copeland (a name familiar to early Parliament fans). Interesting background music, for me, and let down by the saccharine tracks which follow the Motown template without the overwrought lyrics.

check out promised heights by cymande its got some good tunes "brother on the slide, the recluse". some of the hot wax invictus singles have instrumental b sides that I haven't seen on cd that are worth checking out too. also I think you would like undisputed truth "face to face, cosmic truth, undisputed truth".

Johnny Townmouse

A bizarre thing happened. I tried the new Arcade Fire album on Spotify three times and didn't think much of the first half, but really liked the second half.

Turns out that the second half is actually The Suburbs, their last album that I didn't like, but now appear to like a great deal.

Also been listening to the rather excellent Rough Trade Psych Folk compilation, and playing the absolute crap out of the Neu! back catalogue.

Also listening to a lot of Chris Thile, a pro mandolin player who has released some Bach for mandolin. Bit niche that one I think.

the psyche intangible

DJ FORMAT & PHILL MOST CHILL - THE FOREMOST

For all the hip hop headz out there. Includes a track venting a sinister side of angry birds.

Not a dud on it.

http://fleamarketfunk.com/2013/10/14/dj-format-phill-most-chill-the-foremost-sampler-video/

Morrison Lard

I'm revisiting Bjork, Post and Debut to be exact.

It's not new, it's probably not cool, but it's fucking brilliant listening to these again after so many years.

holyzombiejesus

On the train back from london last night, drizzle and dusk and the start of a cold made the Forest Swords LP sound like the best record in the world ever.

Also been buying a lot of (repro) 7" singles of early rock and roll surf outsider blues oddness, like this by JC Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU-4JjwvSKc

NoSleep

Quote from: Morrison Lard on November 10, 2013, 08:22:37 AM
I'm revisiting Bjork, Post and Debut to be exact.

It's not new, it's probably not cool, but it's fucking brilliant listening to these again after so many years.

You have the nose for this kind of thing.