Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What sort of stuff are you listening to at the minute?

Started by Neil, February 05, 2013, 11:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olarrio

I spent a glorious two nights last week drinking homebrew cider, chonging MDMA and offering up music together with a very good friend. As such, i've come away with these two beauts:

Bomba Estereo - El Alma y El Cuerpo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBu9O2jqto8

The guitars have a lovely tone to them and the vocals are lush. They're Colombian too i believe. Woah!

Shannon Wright - Dyed in the Wool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcHQP2Jc1kM

I didn't particularly like the first album my mate played me (don't remember what it's called) but this was much more up my street (as it's thoroughly morbid and angular). Has a really Codeine/Slint-y vibe. I've just discovered she's released music on Touch and Go and Quarterstick which makes total sense.

Olarrio

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 18, 2013, 11:43:40 AM
I've been listening to Nina Nastasia's back catalogue. She's one of those artists that I kind of take for granted but when I take the time to put on one of her records, particularly 2006's On Leaving, I wonder why I'mnot playingit all the time. Gorgeously catchy tunes.

This is a decent recording of a live version of Counting Up Your Bones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yoiCZfjO5s

She's not released anything for a while, has she?

I love Nina Nastasia, although was introduced to her via her album with Jim White (You Follow Me), which has a much different feel to Dogs etc. I have no knowledge of any upcoming releases.

vrailaine

Been listening to
the first Broken Social Scene a lot lately, never really listened to it before but it's pretty damn great.
Autre Ne Veut's debut, mostly like it but there's points where he sounds like George Michael and that completely throws me off.
Radiohead b-sides and non album tracks and whatnot. Don't really get what people liked so much about that Daily Mail single from last year.
Flotation Toy Warning, not really sure how much I like it, feels a bit gimmicky at points.
Blueberry Boat by the Fiery Furnaces, yeesh, glad I didn't buy this one years ago, an incredibly difficult listen. What is it, exactly?

Lots of Cabaret Voltaire, all eras.

Lots of Bvdub.

Spiteface

I have become hooked on the Ramones all over again. Road to Ruin especially, but I've also been enjoying this live album a lot:

Same set as "It's Alive" minus "Judy is a Punk", but rawer, and better for it, I feel.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Spiteface on March 06, 2013, 06:44:46 PM
I have become hooked on the Ramones all over again. Road to Ruin especially

Good call on The Ramones. Ramones and Rocket To Russia are the best for me, plumping slightly for the latter.

paolozzi

Quote from: Kane Jones on March 06, 2013, 06:51:19 PM
Good call on The Ramones. Ramones and Rocket To Russia are the best for me, plumping slightly for the latter.

End Of The Century is probably my favourite, after the s/t, simply because Phil Spector went bonkers on it.

Kane Jones

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - ii
(See my avatar) I bloody love this album.  The mix of psychedelic grooves, fuzzy hooks and lo-fi production makes it sound like a genuine forgotten late 60s gem.

Mountains - Centralia
This is my current unobtrusive 'music to work to' album.  It drifts by on the first listen, but after a few spins is becoming a firm favourite.  Subtle and beautiful.

Can - Tago Mago
Thanks Serge!  How the hell have I missed this?!

Neu! - Neu!
Thanks again, Serge!  Again, I can't believe I've never heard this before.  It's brilliant. Looking forward to checking out the subsequent albums.

Scott Walker - Scott 3
Giving this another spin after more accolades on here.  Really enjoying it, especially the mix of crooning and unsettling strings on 'It's Raining Today'. Radiohead's How To Disappear Completely' anyone?  I still prefer Scott 4 though...

Fortune - Fortune
My unashamed life-long obsession with 80s keyboard rock/AOR means there's always a disc of cheesy anthems near my stereo.  At the moment it's this bombastic, catchy offering from 1985.  No 'guilty pleasures' here though.  I just like what I like.

benthalo

Kluster 69-72 (Vinyl on Demand)

All eight discs on Wednesday.

Joy Nktonga

As soon as Bragalike Frank Turner started on Lamacq's Round Table last night I dispatched Mrs Nktonga to put on a CD of her choosing. I then followed that and then she again and so on. A bit like a DJ battle but with albums instead of single tracks. It turned out to be an excellent evening of listening. Here's what we put on in order starting with Mrs Nktonga's first choice, then mine etc.

And then we went to bed all chilled out and tired.

zomgmouse

The past few days I've been manically listening to "Special Delivery Stomp". Here's Earl Bostic's version and here's Artie Shaw's version. Both excellent in their own right.

Also been listening to Madness' "Tomorrow's Just Another Day".

Brundle-Fly

Serge

Ah yeah, that Johnny Harris album is fantastic. I was pointed in its direction by the great 'Right On!' series of compilations from a few years ago. His 'All To Bring You Morning' album is worth checking out, too. And on the same tip, David Axelrod's 'Seriously Deep'.

Been enjoying the new Strut compilation: 'Change The Beat: The Celluloid Records Story 1979-1987', taking in funk, new/no-wave, reggae, rap, you name it. Shame it has to have the over-anthologised 'Sport' by Lightnin' Rod on it (a great track, but on nearly as many comps as Aaron Neville's 'Hercules'), but the double whammy of 'Makossa Rock' by Deadline and 'Koteja' by Bobongo Stars towards the end of the first disc is great.

Don_Preston

Too Freud to Rock N' Roll, Too Jung To Die, by Brain Donor. Bloody great it is too.

alan nagsworth

Bowie's Berlin trilogy.

Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets and his 1981 collab with David Byrne, Life in the Bush of Ghosts.

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. Obsessed with Before Today but also enjoying House Arrest a lot too.

Lots of other lo-fi "new weird america" associated stuff whatever the fuck that genre even is I don't care:

Topaz Rags
Blues Control
John Maus
R. Stevie Moore
Bubonic Plague
Geneva Jacuzzi

Famous Mortimer

R Stevie is awesome - I think NoSleep has seen him live / chatted to him after a show at least once.

Serge

I could probably put the Berlin trilogy - or at least 'Low' and "Heroes" - in this thread about once a week. I'm declaring this National Bowie Month anyway, as his new album is out today and his old clothes are getting an airing at the V&A sometime soon.

Blues Control are bloody marvellous. My favourite is the FRKWYS collaboration they did with Laaraji a couple of years ago, but they've not released anything duff yet.

Don_Preston

A 5 CD box of obscure Japanese psych 'wunderkid' 'Magical Power' Mako. Each disc has a single track edited together from various snippets and mysterious sources. It's a bit of a shame that the booklet has no track information, so your guess is as good as mine.

They contain everything from percussion workouts, musique concrete, fuzz-rock to Greek bazouki snippets. A bedroom-made version of Can's Augm. Over five discs. Worth tracking down if you can.

Neville Chamberlain

Tonight I have listened to Erpland by the Ozrics, the absolutely bloody brilliant Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine's debut album The Audacity of Hype, and a little bit of The Residents' Bunny Boy. I've got a couple of days to myself in the next couple of weeks, so I'm going to work my way through the 25 Residents albums and compilations that seem to have found their way onto my iPod.

But seriously, that Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine is blinding.

Joy Nktonga

I'm listening to 23 Skidoo for the first time. I've had it on CD for years and somehow didn't get round to it. It's a cracking downtempo, jazzy hip hop album. Just heard a track with Roots Manuva on it (track 6: Where You At), so I'm doubly perplexed that I've skipped over it for about 13 years.

This is what it looks like:

And here's a Spotify link to the album.

monkfromhavana

Dev/Null - Rave 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJj5GUUHnRE

Top stuff. It sounds like a flight of stairs falling down a flight of stairs.

Ein Sof

Quote from: Kane Jones on March 08, 2013, 09:04:54 AM
Fortune - Fortune
My unashamed life-long obsession with 80s keyboard rock/AOR means there's always a disc of cheesy anthems near my stereo.  At the moment it's this bombastic, catchy offering from 1985.  No 'guilty pleasures' here though.  I just like what I like.

In a similar 'coagulated milk-based food product' vein, I must recommend Dokken. Despite the one flaw in the group - Don Dokken's voice is so 'light' that it sometimes feels like he lacks the power and conviction needed to successfully carry the heavier music - the songwriting is very catchy and well-structured. They are one of the better 'glam metal' groups to appear in the late 80s. Despite Don Dokken's voice - although that isn't to say that he's terrible, I like his voice - the instrumentalists are excellent: George Lynch provides some tasteful guitar virtuosity while the bassist and drummer provide sterling work.

Here's one of their songs that I like ("The Hunter"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lno_cvDC1Kw

Speaking of food and other things forced past the jugular, I discovered recently that J. S. Bach wrote a satirical miniature opera/cantata about a girl's addiction to coffee, at a time when drinking it was highly discouraged[nb]Bach was a great lover of coffee, just so you know whose side he was on.[/nb]. In the past, I have made the false presumption that the composers of the bygone yesteryear were rather more 'reverent' in their choice of subject matter[nb]Listening to Mozart's "Lick me in the bottom nice, well and clean" certainly taught me a fine lesson.[/nb]. Therefore, this came as a pleasant surprise; pleasant because since I enjoy coffee so much, and a surprise because Bach would be the last composer I'd expect to write music about this sort of thing. There is a love song to a cup of a coffee and there are also some wonderfully bizarre lines, such as "If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat" and "If you don't give up coffee for me, you won't go to any wedding parties, or even go out for walks." It was also first performed in a coffee house, which would be unthinkable in 21st-century coffee houses (i.e. Starbucks and Costa[nb]My knowledge of "coffee houses" is not vast.[/nb]), since I'm sure some of the Starbucks-frequenting students at my university would grumble about 'bourgeois pretensions' amidst the inflated vowel sounds. [/Daily Mail rant[nb]I've been contaminated by my fellow Starbucks traveller, Peter Hitchens.[/nb]]

Anyway, here's an excerpt of the cantata:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOaADFq9yOg

Another musical curiosity, for anyone who's interested, is the late 16th-early 17th century composer Carlo Gesualdo. He was not only a murderer[nb]Of the definitely deliberate sort, not the Jerry Lee Lewis, Oscar Pistorius and William S. Burroughs sort.[/nb] but also produced one of the earliest examples of a highly chromatic music language, preceding Wagner by almost 250 years (although is not quite as atonal as Schoenberg). Aldous Huxley was a clear admirer of his music, mentioning Gesualdo in The Doors of Perception:

Mozart's C-Minor Piano Concerto was interrupted after the first movement, and a recording of some madrigals by Gesualdo took its place.

'These voices' I said appreciatively, 'these voices – they're a kind of bridge back to the human world.'

And a bridge they remained even while singing the most startlingly chromatic of the mad prince's compositions. Through the uneven phrases of the madrigals, the music pursued its course, never sticking to the same key for two bars together. In Gesualdo, that fantastic character out of a Webster melodrama, psychological disintegration had exaggerated, had pushed to the extreme limit, a tendency inherent in modal as opposed to fully tonal music. The resulting works sounded as though they might have been written by the later Schoenberg.

'And yet,' I felt myself constrained to say, as I listened to these strange products of a Counter-reformation psychosis working upon a late medieval art form, 'and yet it does not matter that he's all in bits. The whole is disorganized. But each individual fragment is in order, is a representative of a Higher Order. The Highest Order prevails even in the disintegration. The totality is present even in the broken pieces. More clearly present, perhaps, than in a completely coherent work. At least you aren't lulled into a sense of false security by some merely human, merely fabricated order. You have to rely on your immediate perception of the ultimate order. So in a certain sense disintegration may have its advantages. But of course it's dangerous, horribly dangerous. Suppose you couldn't get back, out of the chaos...'

Naturally, after he did the murderous deed, Gesualdo became self-pitying, extremely penitent and generally God-fearing, which is why you'll find the words "death", "agony" and "sorrow" planted abundantly. In all likelihood, he was anticipating eternal damnation with no lack of knee-trembling, and that's probably the reason why his music sounds torturous when compared to the works of his contemporaries. Here are a few recordings I recommend:

"Beltà, poi che t'assenti"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TZI6HdMHGM

"Moro, lasso, al mio duolo"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_F1OuMeVSw

"Tristis est anima mea"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddtHVNpOKM

"Se la mia morte brami"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fao21JPxow

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 06, 2013, 07:08:08 PM
Got a few releases on the Portland based Mississippi Records. One compilation of "Pitch-dark American ballads recorded between 1927-1943. Murder, death, spiritual and emotional torment" and...

Some of the most incredifuckingble music I've ever heard; so joyous and brilliant. It leaves me breathless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWmCplTgflA

Yeah that sacred harp stuff is fucking amazing, stumbled across it a couple years ago listening to The Anthology of American Folk comps which if you're into this sort of stuff I assume you've heard. If not or for anyone else they are full of some absolutely gorgeous music.
Don't know where you're based holyzombiejesus but if you happen to be in London there are regular sacred harp singings, went to one in St George's church in Bloomsbury. It was flipping bloody well brilliant and if you get a chance to go to a live singing do it. They get first timers to stand in the middle for a song and it's fucking well lovely. Keep meaning to go to more but just haven't had the time plus always a bit awkward going by yourself.

As for music I've been listening to, gone back to bibio's - vignetting the compost LP which is just lovely.
Also some Bembeya jazz national stuff, great funky African jazz type stuff from guinea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLMlRD5HeA4

And just tons of other stuff that it would be boring to list. Really looking forward to the new Mount Kimbie.
Also been listening to a lot of Gold Panda.

CaledonianGonzo

From Analog Africa,not just cumbia, but a whole heap of afrobeat, chandé, palenque, terapia, gaita zuliana and, er, mapalé.  If you only buy one Afro-Colombian compilation this month, etc.

One of my favourite tracks:

https://soundcloud.com/analog-africa/bajo-el-trupillo-guajiro

Serge

Heavy Brazilian Psych Rock. Marvellous stuff. Also the first Witch album, which is the same, but Zambian.

CaledonianGonzo

Giving Hookworms' Pearl Mystic album a spin:

https://soundcloud.com/gringo-records/sets/hookworms-pearl-mystic/s-DiyZ6

s'alright so far, in a psychedelic, shoegazey rock sort of vein.  Probably not quite this good:

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/17499/reviews/4146108

Edit:  Actually it really is not bad at all...

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Foggy Buntwhistle on March 12, 2013, 01:19:57 PM
Yeah that sacred harp stuff is fucking amazing, stumbled across it a couple years ago listening to The Anthology of American Folk comps which if you're into this sort of stuff I assume you've heard. If not or for anyone else they are full of some absolutely gorgeous music.
Don't know where you're based holyzombiejesus but if you happen to be in London there are regular sacred harp singings, went to one in St George's church in Bloomsbury. It was flipping bloody well brilliant and if you get a chance to go to a live singing do it. They get first timers to stand in the middle for a song and it's fucking well lovely. Keep meaning to go to more but just haven't had the time plus always a bit awkward going by yourself.

I've been listening to tons of this stuff - and SoulSeek has been wonderful for finding rare and unusual examples. It's hypnotic and genuinely surreal on occasions - it flits between epic and beautiful, and discordant and so complex that it's hard to hear the tune. Thanks for the St George's tip. Turns out that they had a concert yesterday:
http://www.londonsacredharp.org.uk/
I'm in London a lot over the next 6months and I aim to get to one of these, despite the fact that I can't sing for shit.

I have also been listening to A Place To Bury Strangers, which is a kind of MBV/JAMC influenced psych-rock band without being quite as homagey as say The Raveonettes, and Peaking Lights, an electronic band that are not quite as kitschy as Ghost Box bands, but have a similar ethic to Broadcast and Sonic Boom/Spectrum (whom they have also been supporting).

http://www.aplacetoburystrangers.com/
http://peakinglights.com/

Black Ship

I'm listening to the music from the "Homestuck" bandcamp page. Lots of lovely 8 bit tunes and more elaborate stuff in the later albums.

Check out "Eternity Served Cold" off the Cherubim album.

Kane Jones

I'm really enjoying this at the moment;

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing

If you like prog stuff, there's a lot to love about it.  If you don't, give it a wide berth.  Personally, I think it's extraordinary.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on March 17, 2013, 12:01:03 PM
I've been listening to tons of this stuff - and SoulSeek has been wonderful for finding rare and unusual examples.
Thanks to JT, I've decided to get Soulseek again - it seems a bit more user-friendly now than when I last had it. Is there a CaB Soulseek room? Be handy to add you all as my mates.