Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:55:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies

Started by Neil, February 05, 2013, 11:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 12, 2013, 01:58:09 PM
Have you heard the Mel Gibson tapes (You were supposed to blow me BEFORE THE JACUZZI) ?

Fucking hilarious. The world would be a less funny place without Mel 'Colmcille' Gibson.

Oh I never said he wasn't funny (if you haven't already, you have to watch 'The Beaver' - it's what 'The Wrestler' was for Mickey Rourke, only infinitely, laughably shitter).

Hank Venture

Quote from: kngen on February 09, 2013, 12:14:44 AM
Then of course there's GISM...

That is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 12, 2013, 01:57:26 PM
Weirdly enough, I remember stories about Russell Brand's earlier stand-up days where he'd often cut himself and break stuff.  For some reason.  But to compare him to GG Allin would be a bit silly, really, wouldn't it?  Guys?

I think that (more or less) refers to an incident at Late'n'Live when someone hurled a pint glass at him and he got a little bit cut.

It's quite a way from GG Allin.

Morrison Lard

I was given a load of letters written by GG Allin a while back,
most of them from when he was banged up in Michigan in 1990-

alan nagsworth

haha, what the fuck? from whom? reckon that sort of gubbins would be worth owt now?

looking back on my old posts in this thread from six years ago is pretty embarrassing. allin was clearly just a smelly twat and a dreadful musician

non capisco

Do any of those letters confirm or deny whether it's him in the polaroid in Whigfield's 'Saturday Night' video?

Morrison Lard

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 15, 2019, 05:57:37 PM
haha, what the fuck? from whom? reckon that sort of gubbins would be worth owt now?
They're from somebody who was in a band in the 80s.
Most of them are about The Suicide Sessions album, which he had recorded before winding up in the slammer, but not yet released.

Here's one where he dot the i's and crosses the t's regarding the potential record deal-

Quote from: non capisco on January 15, 2019, 08:05:26 PM
Do any of those letters confirm or deny whether it's him in the polaroid in Whigfield's 'Saturday Night' video?
Sadly not.
Although there's a couple I haven't read yet so will keep an eye out.

Quite exciting that, technology permitting, one day I could maybe create a GG clone from the DNA in these letters.

Actually, nah, you're alright.

Chriddof

Quote from: Morrison Lard on January 15, 2019, 08:34:25 PM
Quite exciting that, technology permitting, one day I could maybe create a GG clone from the DNA in these letters.

I hope you're wearing gloves when you're handling that lot. You might want to invest in a couple of bottles of that alcohol foam stuff as well.

So did he chug a load of laxative before getting on stage to make sure he would empty his back mid gig? That's a bit like a band buying cheap guitars to smash for each gig.

jobotic

Hope so

"Hang on...gnnnh...it's coming....gnnnnhhhh....oh fucking hell that's loosened it....gnnnh...no long now, bear with me.....gnnnhhhhhh...prepared to be disgusted...gggnnhhh.....where are you going? I'm gonna do a shit!"

Squink

Suspiciously good spelling in that letter by the lad Allin. I bet he was alright, really.

hedgehog90

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 15, 2019, 05:57:37 PM
looking back on my old posts in this thread from six years ago is pretty embarrassing. allin was clearly just a smelly twat and a dreadful musician

I must have posted in it too as the thread's showing in unread replies, but I'm too embarrassed to check.

sevendaughters

McChesney Duntz

Interesting that this should come (back) up, as there's a new documentary, called G.G. Allin - All in the Family*, that's been running on the Showtime cable network here in the States - not sure if it's anywhere to be found right of the pond. It's basically all about his brother, Merle, and his mother, Arleta, both grappling in their way with the G.G. legacy all these years later. Merle seems to be doing pretty well for himself, selling memorabilia (including paintings made from his own shit) and taking post-G.G. lineups of the Murder Junkies on tour (and not having to pay for broken or befouled microphones, etc.), judging by the house he lives in and the car he drives; their mom, as you might imagine, has a somewhat more complex take on her sons' lives and vocations - she's a sweet, rather normal-seeming old woman, still a bit haunted by it all, but with a rather moving sense of maternal pride, which manifests itself in ways both amusing (her reaction to Merle's pride at his latest opus, "Sucking Your Pussy on a Friday Night") and heartbreaking (showing the camera the framed, handmade Mother's Day card G.G. sent her from prison). You get a much better idea of the Allin boys' horrific upbringing than I've seen elsewhere, plus plenty of vintage G.G. footage, some of which you'll have seen before in Hated, some of which was new, to me at least (the last footage of G.G. ever shot, up to the point of his getting into the cab that will deliver him to oblivion). Kind of touching, really, in spite of it all, and it ends rather heartwarmingly (the last scene, and especially Mama Allin's final line, is just perfect). Worth tracking down if you can find it - you're probably not going to find too many films that will leave you both nauseated and teary-eyed like this one.

* Just got the wordplay in the title as I typed it. I'm quite swift.

hedgehog90

I finally got round to watching G.G. Allin - All in the Family.
Who woulda thunk that a doc about GG Allin could be so bloody heartwarming and nice?
Merle and his mother are just lovely together. You can tell that they are both genuinely nice people, which was quite a revelation tbh.

Unlike Hated, this film didn't pay any heed to the GG persona, it was more interested in humanizing Kevin and diminishing GG, which - given the tone of the film - was entirely appropriate and necessary.
Re-watching all those old clips of GG again, I was no longer enamored or fascinated with that side of his character, it was just sad.

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on January 27, 2019, 12:32:34 AMthe last scene, and especially Mama Allin's final line, is just perfect

I couldn't agree more, it's the best line in the film.

I've been out of the GG loop for some years now so I hadn't heard about this doc until your post. Many thanks for recommending it, McChesney Duntz.