Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:03:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People with annoying faces

Started by 23 Daves, July 13, 2004, 09:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

A peculiar phenomenon, this.

Not too long ago, somebody mentioned the fact on here that Scarlett Johansson had an 'extremely annoying face' and that it put them off "Lost In Translation" slightly.  I found myself agreeing with them.  However, it troubles me.  

Scarlett Johansson is obviously a very attractive woman, I can see that - she has nice eyes, a delicate and angular face, pouty lips - however, I still find it peculiarly, unutterably irritating.  Her acting is fine.  Nothing she's said in an interview has in any way annoyed me.  Her face, however, has.

If I'm pushed to try and get to the bottom of what annoys me about her face, I can't.  It might be the fact that the sulky pouty lips and turned up nose suggest smugness when none is actually present.  It may be that she looks like someone from my distant past who in some way wronged me (though nobody springs to mind).  But there it is.

The other candidate for 'annoying face syndome' (for me, anyway) is Jack Osbourne.  Jack Osbourne has indirectly wronged me by giving a friend of mine a stinker of a singles review when he was a guest critic for Kerrang, but even before this instance something about his face pissed me off.  Again, I have no answers.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem?
[/img]

hencole

Her lips don't look right. It's as if they don't belong to her face and were stuck on potato man stylee.

and your right Rats does have an annoying face.

23 Daves

Looking at her again, I think the problem is that none of the bits of her face look as if they actually belong to her face.  She's got nice eyes, a nice nose, nice lips, nice cheekbones, etc, but none of them look as if they actually belong to the face they're on.

It's not a monstrous effect, but it might be what's disturbing me.

Fucknose

she looks like pete burns in that photo

Speciality meat product

Reading the Guardians 'guide' at the weekend, I noticed that the comedian Dominic Holland has a very annoying face. He gotta big mouth which is far too smiley for it's own good.

Uncle_Z

Matthew Wright.  It's the Winner-esque squint 'n' snarl combo that does it.  I cannot find a photo that adequately captures my irritation.

By definition Michael Winner's face annoys me too, but I think that is a "given"

Edit:  Found one.

Timmay

For the record, when I first skimmed across this thread title in the forum, I predictably thought it said People With Annoying Faeces.

Anyway, we bought Lost In Translation at the weekend, and she (Scarlett Pimpernell or something) looked quite foxy in it I thought. Although that picture does make her look weird.

Weirdly annoying faces... how about Michelle from BB? I'm sympathising with Ambient Sheep on this now. I'm where he was at the start of it all. Sometimes quite pretty (Michelle, not Sheepy), but still has that dark vacant stare on her weirdly taut face. I blame it on her permanent tightening of her ponytail.

jutl

Quote from: "Timmay"Anyway, we bought Lost In Translation at the weekend, and she (Scarlett Pimpernell or something) looked quite foxy in it I thought. Although that picture does make her look weird.

...and on the subject of Lost In Translation

Sofia Coppola - Not just facially annoying

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Timmay"Weirdly annoying faces... how about Michelle from BB? I'm sympathising with Ambient Sheep on this now. I'm where he was at the start of it all. Sometimes quite pretty (Michelle, not Sheepy), but still has that dark vacant stare on her weirdly taut face. I blame it on her permanent tightening of her ponytail.
Indeed.  I'm *always* pretty.

You beat me to it, as I was about to name her in here, natch.

dan dirty ape

The other year , when that 'Bulletproof Monk' film was out and being extensuvely advertised on the sides of London buses, the sight of that guy who plays Stifler in 'American Pie' looking smugly down on me as I waited for the 94 was irritating in that vague 'I'll never meet you but I bet you're a bit of a dick' way. The effect was doubled by his face being next to the worst tagline in cinema history, 'A monk. A punk. A chick. In a kick ass flick.'

Two of the boyband Blue have 'those' faces, expressions at the exact point where cockiness and stupidity meet.

WoShade

I third the Michelle motion, and raise you Kerry McFadden.

butnut

^What is she holding in her hand in that middle picture above???^

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "butnut"^What is she holding in her hand in that middle picture above???^
Presumably one of the suggestively-shaped wall decorations from the house.

23 Daves

I disagree with the Sofia Coppola nomination.  That may be a bad picture of her up there, but I'm with VM on this one - she's a very attractive woman.  She does that 'posh thoughtful girl' pose in most photographs very well, it appeals to the olde English romantic in me.  

Totally agree with the bloke-out-of-Bulletproof-Monk nomination though.  God, he was slappable.  Though if I'd tried, I'm sure he would have given me a damn good hiding.

I have thought of another annoying face, though - Davina McCall.  Admittely everything about her is immensely nails-down-blackboard, but her face is an overly square and heavily mobile, hyperactive thing that is very hard to focus on.  Her eyes are scowling whilst her mouth smiles and rants at 200mph.  Too many conflicting messages.  I don't know which gets to me first in the end, the irritance or the dizziness from trying to focus on it all.

SimonJT

I agree abiut Michelle. She is in every way annoying, not least facially. I dpm't understand why people find her particularly attractive.

I'd also nominate the square-jawed fella from The O.C. - I can't remember the character's name, I haven't seen enough of it.

jutl

Quote from: "23 Daves"I disagree with the Sofia Coppola nomination.  That may be a bad picture of her up there, but I'm with VM on this one - she's a very attractive woman.  She does that 'posh thoughtful girl' pose in most photographs very well, it appeals to the olde English romantic in me.

Your good sense is being over-ruled by your (weirdly misguided) knackers.

king mob

The other night Michelle let her hair down & she looked normal for about 2 seconds until you realised she a robot of death designed to take out dull tedious men.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "king mob"The other night Michelle let her hair down & she looked normal for about 2 seconds...
Yeah, I heard about this, but I've yet to see it.  I'd like to.

king mob

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "king mob"The other night Michelle let her hair down & she looked normal for about 2 seconds...
Yeah, I heard about this, but I've yet to see it.  I'd like to.

I was waiting for her to take her face off to reveal scary lights and tubes but sadly she had Stuart in the way.

Regular John

Avril Lavigne

She is an unattractive pouty duck faced idiot.

Gazeuse

I've mentioned this before, but I could punch this face for hours...

no_offenc

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Timmay"Weirdly annoying faces... how about Michelle from BB? I'm sympathising with Ambient Sheep on this now. I'm where he was at the start of it all. Sometimes quite pretty (Michelle, not Sheepy), but still has that dark vacant stare on her weirdly taut face. I blame it on her permanent tightening of her ponytail.
Indeed.  I'm *always* pretty.

You beat me to it, as I was about to name her in here, natch.

You forgot to add

mycroft

Surprised nobody's mentioned him already...

Actually, he looks a lot like Michelle, doesn't he...?

Bilko

What a brilliant idea for a thread, the Jimmy Carr nomination has to equal Matthew 'screw ye face up' one

mwude

Mark Lawrenson

I used to despise him.  Recently I've heard him on Radio 5 making some valid & sensible points that I agreed with, so my dislike of him has been much reduced.  But that awful, awful face with it's thatched roof of hair and Ned Flanders 'tache.  A crowbar's too good for him.

Speciality meat product

That Mark Lawrenson pic is from a few years ago. He's lost the 'tache now and chopped the cottage roof back. He looks 10 years younger.

danielreal2k

mycroft

I would never, ever, ever get bored of punching Brand's bastard face in.

Mediocre Rich

The teeth, the insicerity, the teeth THE MONEY, the eyes, the edmunds beard, THE MONEY.

You never see him and Blair in the same room do you?

Morrisfan82

Anyone else think Jimmy Carr looks like Adam Buxton recovering from being hit in the face with a steam iron?