Author Topic: all new computer problems thread - hard-drives made of dynamite  (Read 102554 times)

greencalx

• Never knowingly knowledgeable
Re: all new computer problems thread - hard-drives made of dynamite
« Reply #2040 on: January 08, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »
Good luck!

« Reply #2041 on: January 09, 2019, 08:13:17 AM »
I am mostly there now. Got Mojave up and running and a new account, having issues getting it tied to main icon though as for whatever reason it's not recognizing the password. I will research that further though. Again, a massive thanks for that GC. Your help was invaluable.

« Reply #2042 on: February 12, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »
I have a Windows 7 PC with a 750GB HDD.

I wish to upgrade to Windows 10, and replace the HDD with a 1TB SSD.

My question is: which upgrade do I perform first?  The OS, or the hard drive?  My gut is leaning towards upgrading the hard drive first to make the OS upgrade process faster - can anyone persuade me to do otherwise?

« Reply #2043 on: February 12, 2019, 06:58:19 PM »
Well, the OS goes on the harddrive, so replace the harddrive and then install.
The other way makes no sense.

MojoJojo

• Between a cow college and a MetaLab.
« Reply #2044 on: February 13, 2019, 11:41:10 AM »
No, it does make sense assuming they don't want to reinstall all their apps and everything.

Can't think of any strong reason to do it either way round though.

« Reply #2045 on: February 14, 2019, 12:10:49 PM »
No, it does make sense assuming they don't want to reinstall all their apps and everything.

Can't think of any strong reason to do it either way round though.

Yeah, I can still update the OS before the hard drive, I'm just after a reason not to because I can't think of any.

Probably will update the hard drive first then, cheers.

« Reply #2046 on: February 16, 2019, 12:17:20 PM »
Hi, can anyone help with this one?

The mic for my webcam doesn't seem to picking up anything when I record on the camera program on my Windows laptop. When I record through Audacity it works fine but on Camera it just has a load of fuzz an you can vaguely hear my voice in the background when I'm speaking into the camera. I've tried changing about the settings on Sounds but no luck. There also doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the mic settings on Camera.

« Reply #2047 on: February 20, 2019, 02:45:46 PM »
Hi, can anyone help with this one?

The mic for my webcam doesn't seem to picking up anything when I record on the camera program on my Windows laptop. When I record through Audacity it works fine but on Camera it just has a load of fuzz an you can vaguely hear my voice in the background when I'm speaking into the camera. I've tried changing about the settings on Sounds but no luck. There also doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the mic settings on Camera.

In audacity, make a note of the name of your selected recording device:

Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right of your taskbar, click 'Sounds'.
In the Sounds window click Recording tab and check if the recording device listed in Audacity is set as your 'Default Device' and 'Default Communication Device' (right click the device in the list and tick those options)

Sorry for the late reply!