Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:26:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

I am mostly there now. Got Mojave up and running and a new account, having issues getting it tied to main icon though as for whatever reason it's not recognizing the password. I will research that further though. Again, a massive thanks for that GC. Your help was invaluable.

I have a Windows 7 PC with a 750GB HDD.

I wish to upgrade to Windows 10, and replace the HDD with a 1TB SSD.

My question is: which upgrade do I perform first?  The OS, or the hard drive?  My gut is leaning towards upgrading the hard drive first to make the OS upgrade process faster - can anyone persuade me to do otherwise?

hedgehog90

Well, the OS goes on the harddrive, so replace the harddrive and then install.
The other way makes no sense.

MojoJojo

No, it does make sense assuming they don't want to reinstall all their apps and everything.

Can't think of any strong reason to do it either way round though.

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 13, 2019, 11:41:10 AM
No, it does make sense assuming they don't want to reinstall all their apps and everything.

Can't think of any strong reason to do it either way round though.

Yeah, I can still update the OS before the hard drive, I'm just after a reason not to because I can't think of any.

Probably will update the hard drive first then, cheers.

lipsink

Hi, can anyone help with this one?

The mic for my webcam doesn't seem to picking up anything when I record on the camera program on my Windows laptop. When I record through Audacity it works fine but on Camera it just has a load of fuzz an you can vaguely hear my voice in the background when I'm speaking into the camera. I've tried changing about the settings on Sounds but no luck. There also doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the mic settings on Camera.

hedgehog90

Quote from: lipsink on February 16, 2019, 12:17:20 PM
Hi, can anyone help with this one?

The mic for my webcam doesn't seem to picking up anything when I record on the camera program on my Windows laptop. When I record through Audacity it works fine but on Camera it just has a load of fuzz an you can vaguely hear my voice in the background when I'm speaking into the camera. I've tried changing about the settings on Sounds but no luck. There also doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the mic settings on Camera.

In audacity, make a note of the name of your selected recording device:

Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right of your taskbar, click 'Sounds'.
In the Sounds window click Recording tab and check if the recording device listed in Audacity is set as your 'Default Device' and 'Default Communication Device' (right click the device in the list and tick those options)

Sorry for the late reply!

Jakey Chesterton

Was wondering if someone could recommend a laptop. I'd be using it for development, so would want to run eclipse/visual studio at the same time as sql developer/management studio while I've got a number of browser tabs open. Probably won't be playing games on it, or at least not newer ones, so doesn't need a graphics card or high end display or any extras like that.

Wilbur

Refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad. Same answer I always give to this question......

canadagoose

Quote from: Wilbur on April 11, 2019, 07:47:14 AM
Refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad. Same answer I always give to this question......
ThinkPads are great. I miss my old T420 (RIP motherboard). I've actually got a T43 for writing but it's not much cop for the internet or videos these days. What model is the oldest that's reasonable to buy these days? Not sure it will be what Jakey Chesterton wants (he'd probably want a newer one) but still.

Jakey Chesterton

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Refurbished ThinkPad looks like a good option.

Z

On windows 95 and 98, what kind of privileges did user accounts have? was it just your own custom settings RE backgrounds and shit along with a folder for yourself or were you able to hide files from other users?

Twed

Quote from: canadagoose on April 11, 2019, 07:34:48 PM
ThinkPads are great. I miss my old T420 (RIP motherboard). I've actually got a T43 for writing but it's not much cop for the internet or videos these days. What model is the oldest that's reasonable to buy these days? Not sure it will be what Jakey Chesterton wants (he'd probably want a newer one) but still.
Hm, yes! My next laptop is going to be a Thinkpad. The older ones are still a good buy. Reddit has a good Thinkpad community.

Z

Quote from: Twed on April 20, 2019, 09:24:11 PM
Hm, yes! My next laptop is going to be a Thinkpad. The older ones are still a good buy. Reddit has a good Thinkpad community.
x220 is a treat, I've bought an x230 with an i7 processor to see if I can get the x220 keyboard and Mojave working with it

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Z on April 20, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
On windows 95 and 98, what kind of privileges did user accounts have? was it just your own custom settings RE backgrounds and shit along with a folder for yourself or were you able to hide files from other users?

No, you need NTFS to do that properly. It's possible but highly unlikely on 98.

Z

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 20, 2019, 10:14:31 PM
No, you need NTFS to do that properly. It's possible but highly unlikely on 98.
So the different user accounts was just different backgrounds and data around shit like "recently accessed files"?

I never actually saw either running with multiple accounts but I've seen this log off option on some VMs I've ran lately

Uncle TechTip

Well it put profiles into a central folder, was it Documents and Settings or was it too early even for that? But downloads and my documents would be in one user folder. But there would be no security around this unless stored on a network.

I see what you mean now, yes there was rudimentary multi user support. In fact thinking more, you could type any user in and you'd get to a desktop.

Z

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 21, 2019, 12:27:52 AM
I see what you mean now, yes there was rudimentary multi user support. In fact thinking more, you could type any user in and you'd get to a desktop.
If you typed it anything it just created a new Documents & Settings folder for that person even if they didn't exist?

Wilbur

I *think* it just created a temp directory which was deleted when you signed out. Can't be arsed to install  a machine with 98 to check though, sorry.....

Neomod

External hard disk query. I have an external toshiba 1tb hard disk I use to watch downloads through the usb on our telly. Works fine.

Today I transferred some stuff onto a WD elements 1tb and although the usb is recognised I can't open any folders to watch anything.

Both HD's are NFTS do I don't think it's the formatting and all the content was previously watchable on the toshiba.

Any ideas?

hedgehog90

I take it the disk appears to be working ok on a PC?
I had a similar issue once due to a usb cable suddenly going kaput. Do you use a different usb cable for connecting to pc or TV? If so try another cable.

If you're on Windows you could try running chkdsk.
Assuming your connected harddrive letter is E, open up a command prompt window and enter 'chkdsk E: /f' (without the quote marks)
It'll check for errors and try to fix them, takes a while though.

You could also try a bit of freeware called 'crystal disk info' which will immediately tell you if your harddrive is in good health. If the 'bad sector count' is more than 1 or 2, probably better invest in a new harddrive.

Neomod

It's brand new and oddly just checking it on our other telly it works. I guess it's down to something incompatible with the telly.

hedgehog90

Did a bit of research and found it's most likely because the WD Elements disk uses a newer, less compatible partition style called GPT.

To make it work with your TV you'll need to convert it to MBR:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-gpt-disk-into-an-mbr-disk

lipsink

Quote from: hedgehog90 on February 20, 2019, 02:45:46 PM
In audacity, make a note of the name of your selected recording device:

Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right of your taskbar, click 'Sounds'.
In the Sounds window click Recording tab and check if the recording device listed in Audacity is set as your 'Default Device' and 'Default Communication Device' (right click the device in the list and tick those options)

Sorry for the late reply!

Ah, THANK YOU!

I have another slightly weird one. I bought a new mic and when I plug it in the USB inputs on my laptop the sound on my laptop goes off. The volume on the TaskBar changes from 'Speakers' to 'Microphone High Definition'. Anyone know how I can change this so I can plug in the mic and record sound from my laptop?

hedgehog90

Seems like Windows misidentified your mic and installed the wrong drivers.
What's the brand name and model of the mic? Also what version of Windows and is it 32 or 64 bit?
With that info I should be able to find the correct drivers for you.

Is it something like the Blue Yeti Microphone which can also act as an audio out?

lipsink

Ah, thanks.

It's an Audio Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone.

Windows is 64 bit.

hedgehog90

lipsink

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 16, 2019, 09:57:48 PM
Does it actually record OK?

Yeah, it works fine. It's just seems to turn the audio off when I plug it in. And no audio is coming out of the mic. When i unplug it the audio comes on again.