Author Topic: all new computer problems thread - hard-drives made of dynamite  (Read 125747 times)

seepage

• throwing a dog at some goblins
Re: all new computer problems thread - hard-drives made of dynamite
« Reply #2130 on: July 20, 2019, 09:07:49 AM »
Got a 1660 Ti (MSI dual fan) and now no more 4K woes.

« Reply #2131 on: July 20, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »
I got a single fan EVGA 1660 Ti. Hasn't arrived yet. Hope it's not loud as fuck!
What's yours like, volume-wise?

seepage

« Reply #2132 on: July 21, 2019, 10:45:33 AM »
It's silent when 'idle' or decoding video, and I would say 'medium'-loud in games. A pleasant sound though, not whiny like the stock CPU fan, and quieter than my 3-fan GTX 760. 

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #2133 on: July 21, 2019, 10:55:35 PM »
Any of you lot know anything about Wordpress sites? I've had one for years, but the domain redirect expired and I can't be bothered to pay for it any more. I'm trying to remove the redirect, but Wordpress is telling me I don't have permission to view https://wordpress.com/domains/add for the site in question, and I've got no idea why.

I've read a few support sites and there's some indication about whether my Wordpress is up to date? Like, I'm doing it via a website, why would I need to update anything? Is this a red herring relating to something else?

« Reply #2134 on: July 25, 2019, 01:01:35 PM »
The graphics card that I mentioned buying through Amazon on the previous page still hasn't arrived! And it's been over 10 days since I ordered it.
Since then, the seller has changed their store name and doesn't appear to be selling anything.
On Tuesday, after getting in touch with Amazon, a tracking ID was added but the tracking info said it had already been delivered. I looked into it and see a delivery by China Post, directly to the seller's home. Probably safe to assume that it's the graphics cards order from the supplier, but for all I know that order could have been for a bulk shipment of toilet paper from China.
They haven't responded to any of my messages and it's now 2 days overdue from the stated delivery period, so I've gotten in contact with Amazon and they said they're filing an 'A-Z claim' on my behalf. If it arrives later today though I'm going to feel like a cunt.
It's worth noting this was the default seller on Amazon during the Prime Day sales, if you went on the same product page and clicked 'Add to Basket', this seller would be the one serving you. There's no way of finding out how many were in stock under this seller, but in all likelihood they probably sold a few dozen to remain the default seller during the sales period.

2 questions:
 - Should I feel like a bastard for reporting the seller?
 - Given that the product appears to be imported from China, how likely is it - if it's ever delivered - I'll be getting a knock-off or a not 'New' item as was stated on the product page?

Following on from that last point, I decided to check Alibaba to see if I could find the same product in bulk, figuring that the seller had probably done the same, and I came across this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti_62008733693.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.430a3e5f4Q2eDL

That's the same graphics card essentially, apparently selling for $100.00 - $110.00 per unit, when the retail price is around £280 ($350). Granted they only sell a minimum of 20 units per order, so it would be a minimum spend of $2000.
Even so, how can that possibly be real? They've got to be used/refurbished/fake, and/or the stated price is a big porky. On Alibaba it looks like you need to negotiate a price with the seller, once you express an interest in purchasing stock I wouldn't be surprised if the negotiated price is much higher than stated on the page.
This is just one example though, there are loads of high-end graphics cards with similarly stated prices on Alibaba.
I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

I know none of this relates to computer problems, but it didn't feel like a particularly thread-y issue.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 01:13:25 PM by hedgehog90 »

« Reply #2135 on: July 25, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
Any of you lot know anything about Wordpress sites? I've had one for years, but the domain redirect expired and I can't be bothered to pay for it any more. I'm trying to remove the redirect, but Wordpress is telling me I don't have permission to view https://wordpress.com/domains/add for the site in question, and I've got no idea why.

I've read a few support sites and there's some indication about whether my Wordpress is up to date? Like, I'm doing it via a website, why would I need to update anything? Is this a red herring relating to something else?

Silly question, but have you tried asking the support forums?
machotrouts was having similar issue a month ago when he tried setting up a wordpress site. Although it's community-based someone on there with special privileges managed to sort it out for him.

https://wordpress.org/support/view/all-topics/

seepage

« Reply #2136 on: July 25, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »
The graphics card that I mentioned buying through Amazon on the previous page still hasn't arrived! And it's been over 10 days since I ordered it.
Since then, the seller has changed their store name and doesn't appear to be selling anything.
On Tuesday, after getting in touch with Amazon, a tracking ID was added but the tracking info said it had already been delivered. I looked into it and see a delivery by China Post, directly to the seller's home. Probably safe to assume that it's the graphics cards order from the supplier, but for all I know that order could have been for a bulk shipment of toilet paper from China.
They haven't responded to any of my messages and it's now 2 days overdue from the stated delivery period, so I've gotten in contact with Amazon and they said they're filing an 'A-Z claim' on my behalf. If it arrives later today though I'm going to feel like a cunt.
It's worth noting this was the default seller on Amazon during the Prime Day sales, if you went on the same product page and clicked 'Add to Basket', this seller would be the one serving you. There's no way of finding out how many were in stock under this seller, but in all likelihood they probably sold a few dozen to remain the default seller during the sales period.

2 questions:
 - Should I feel like a bastard for reporting the seller?
 - Given that the product appears to be imported from China, how likely is it - if it's ever delivered - I'll be getting a knock-off or a not 'New' item as was stated on the product page?

Following on from that last point, I decided to check Alibaba to see if I could find the same product in bulk, figuring that the seller had probably done the same, and I came across this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti_62008733693.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.430a3e5f4Q2eDL

That's the same graphics card essentially, apparently selling for $100.00 - $110.00 per unit, when the retail price is around £280 ($350). Granted they only sell a minimum of 20 units per order, so it would be a minimum spend of $2000.
Even so, how can that possibly be real? They've got to be used/refurbished/fake, and/or the stated price is a big porky. On Alibaba it looks like you need to negotiate a price with the seller, once you express an interest in purchasing stock I wouldn't be surprised if the negotiated price is much higher than stated on the page.
This is just one example though, there are loads of high-end graphics cards with similarly stated prices on Alibaba.
I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

I know none of this relates to computer problems, but it didn't feel like a particularly thread-y issue.

I don't know, OEM maybe, but still doesn't look feasible. The Alibaba seller you linked to looks really odd: called 'Olivia and Sophia' based in Belgium but address is 'California.90,street, California, United States' and was established in 1974, has 1000+ employees but cannot be found on google!

« Reply #2137 on: July 26, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »
I messaged the Alibaba supplier and they're telling me it's legit.
$100 for something that sells at around $380. MOQ of 10. Free delivery. Get 1 free for every 5.
Yeah...

Edit - Just in case anyone is reading this and thinking of buying any, I'm 99.99% sure it's a scam.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:18:59 AM by hedgehog90 »

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #2138 on: July 27, 2019, 02:29:11 PM »
Silly question, but have you tried asking the support forums?
machotrouts was having similar issue a month ago when he tried setting up a wordpress site. Although it's community-based someone on there with special privileges managed to sort it out for him.

https://wordpress.org/support/view/all-topics/
I had a bash - the other admin (who, I think, posted or posts here) can't remember the email address he used to set the site up, I was an admin but am now just an Editor (no idea how that happened) and blah blah blah. I've given up, I think, but thanks for suggesting something.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #2139 on: August 02, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »
I use a browser to use Outlook to access my email, I can see there's a way to set up an audio notification when you receive an email, but that's for every email you receive. Is there any way to set it up so I can get an audio notification when I receive an email from just one specific email address?