Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:18:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

Got a 1660 Ti (MSI dual fan) and now no more 4K woes.

hedgehog90

I got a single fan EVGA 1660 Ti. Hasn't arrived yet. Hope it's not loud as fuck!
What's yours like, volume-wise?

seepage

It's silent when 'idle' or decoding video, and I would say 'medium'-loud in games. A pleasant sound though, not whiny like the stock CPU fan, and quieter than my 3-fan GTX 760. 

Famous Mortimer

Any of you lot know anything about Wordpress sites? I've had one for years, but the domain redirect expired and I can't be bothered to pay for it any more. I'm trying to remove the redirect, but Wordpress is telling me I don't have permission to view https://wordpress.com/domains/add for the site in question, and I've got no idea why.

I've read a few support sites and there's some indication about whether my Wordpress is up to date? Like, I'm doing it via a website, why would I need to update anything? Is this a red herring relating to something else?

hedgehog90

The graphics card that I mentioned buying through Amazon on the previous page still hasn't arrived! And it's been over 10 days since I ordered it.
Since then, the seller has changed their store name and doesn't appear to be selling anything.
On Tuesday, after getting in touch with Amazon, a tracking ID was added but the tracking info said it had already been delivered. I looked into it and see a delivery by China Post, directly to the seller's home. Probably safe to assume that it's the graphics cards order from the supplier, but for all I know that order could have been for a bulk shipment of toilet paper from China.
They haven't responded to any of my messages and it's now 2 days overdue from the stated delivery period, so I've gotten in contact with Amazon and they said they're filing an 'A-Z claim' on my behalf. If it arrives later today though I'm going to feel like a cunt.
It's worth noting this was the default seller on Amazon during the Prime Day sales, if you went on the same product page and clicked 'Add to Basket', this seller would be the one serving you. There's no way of finding out how many were in stock under this seller, but in all likelihood they probably sold a few dozen to remain the default seller during the sales period.

2 questions:
- Should I feel like a bastard for reporting the seller?
- Given that the product appears to be imported from China, how likely is it - if it's ever delivered - I'll be getting a knock-off or a not 'New' item as was stated on the product page?

Following on from that last point, I decided to check Alibaba to see if I could find the same product in bulk, figuring that the seller had probably done the same, and I came across this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti_62008733693.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.430a3e5f4Q2eDL

That's the same graphics card essentially, apparently selling for $100.00 - $110.00 per unit, when the retail price is around £280 ($350). Granted they only sell a minimum of 20 units per order, so it would be a minimum spend of $2000.
Even so, how can that possibly be real? They've got to be used/refurbished/fake, and/or the stated price is a big porky. On Alibaba it looks like you need to negotiate a price with the seller, once you express an interest in purchasing stock I wouldn't be surprised if the negotiated price is much higher than stated on the page.
This is just one example though, there are loads of high-end graphics cards with similarly stated prices on Alibaba.
I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

I know none of this relates to computer problems, but it didn't feel like a particularly thread-y issue.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 21, 2019, 10:55:35 PM
Any of you lot know anything about Wordpress sites? I've had one for years, but the domain redirect expired and I can't be bothered to pay for it any more. I'm trying to remove the redirect, but Wordpress is telling me I don't have permission to view https://wordpress.com/domains/add for the site in question, and I've got no idea why.

I've read a few support sites and there's some indication about whether my Wordpress is up to date? Like, I'm doing it via a website, why would I need to update anything? Is this a red herring relating to something else?

Silly question, but have you tried asking the support forums?
machotrouts was having similar issue a month ago when he tried setting up a wordpress site. Although it's community-based someone on there with special privileges managed to sort it out for him.

https://wordpress.org/support/view/all-topics/

seepage

Quote from: hedgehog90 on July 25, 2019, 01:01:35 PM
The graphics card that I mentioned buying through Amazon on the previous page still hasn't arrived! And it's been over 10 days since I ordered it.
Since then, the seller has changed their store name and doesn't appear to be selling anything.
On Tuesday, after getting in touch with Amazon, a tracking ID was added but the tracking info said it had already been delivered. I looked into it and see a delivery by China Post, directly to the seller's home. Probably safe to assume that it's the graphics cards order from the supplier, but for all I know that order could have been for a bulk shipment of toilet paper from China.
They haven't responded to any of my messages and it's now 2 days overdue from the stated delivery period, so I've gotten in contact with Amazon and they said they're filing an 'A-Z claim' on my behalf. If it arrives later today though I'm going to feel like a cunt.
It's worth noting this was the default seller on Amazon during the Prime Day sales, if you went on the same product page and clicked 'Add to Basket', this seller would be the one serving you. There's no way of finding out how many were in stock under this seller, but in all likelihood they probably sold a few dozen to remain the default seller during the sales period.

2 questions:
- Should I feel like a bastard for reporting the seller?
- Given that the product appears to be imported from China, how likely is it - if it's ever delivered - I'll be getting a knock-off or a not 'New' item as was stated on the product page?

Following on from that last point, I decided to check Alibaba to see if I could find the same product in bulk, figuring that the seller had probably done the same, and I came across this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti_62008733693.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.430a3e5f4Q2eDL

That's the same graphics card essentially, apparently selling for $100.00 - $110.00 per unit, when the retail price is around £280 ($350). Granted they only sell a minimum of 20 units per order, so it would be a minimum spend of $2000.
Even so, how can that possibly be real? They've got to be used/refurbished/fake, and/or the stated price is a big porky. On Alibaba it looks like you need to negotiate a price with the seller, once you express an interest in purchasing stock I wouldn't be surprised if the negotiated price is much higher than stated on the page.
This is just one example though, there are loads of high-end graphics cards with similarly stated prices on Alibaba.
I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

I know none of this relates to computer problems, but it didn't feel like a particularly thread-y issue.

I don't know, OEM maybe, but still doesn't look feasible. The Alibaba seller you linked to looks really odd: called 'Olivia and Sophia' based in Belgium but address is 'California.90,street, California, United States' and was established in 1974, has 1000+ employees but cannot be found on google!

hedgehog90

I messaged the Alibaba supplier and they're telling me it's legit.
$100 for something that sells at around $380. MOQ of 10. Free delivery. Get 1 free for every 5.
Yeah...

Edit - Just in case anyone is reading this and thinking of buying any, I'm 99.99% sure it's a scam.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: hedgehog90 on July 25, 2019, 01:09:00 PM
Silly question, but have you tried asking the support forums?
machotrouts was having similar issue a month ago when he tried setting up a wordpress site. Although it's community-based someone on there with special privileges managed to sort it out for him.

https://wordpress.org/support/view/all-topics/
I had a bash - the other admin (who, I think, posted or posts here) can't remember the email address he used to set the site up, I was an admin but am now just an Editor (no idea how that happened) and blah blah blah. I've given up, I think, but thanks for suggesting something.

BeardFaceMan

I use a browser to use Outlook to access my email, I can see there's a way to set up an audio notification when you receive an email, but that's for every email you receive. Is there any way to set it up so I can get an audio notification when I receive an email from just one specific email address?

BeardFaceMan

So I want to use keyboard shortcuts for a program that's in the background, not as my main window. Is there anyway to program some sort of shortcut into Windows to do what I want?

hedgehog90

Usually only the active window listens for keyboard shortcuts or user input, however it might be possible to use a program called AutoHotKey to write a basic script that reroutes key commands. Not terribly easily, mind.
On phone atm but I'll see if I can find a better solution later.

BeardFaceMan

hedgehog90

What background program are you trying to control btw?

BeardFaceMan

Mixcraft. I've got an audio file in there I'm transcribing, so it's playing in the background as I'm typing into a text document. The hotkey in Mixcraft for the rewind function is ctrl+, so I want to be able to trigger that as I'm in the text editor so I don't have to keep switching back and forth between the programs every time I want to rewind the audio a bit.

Did you check in Mixcraft options to see if there was an option to activate global hotkeys?

BeardFaceMan

I couldn't see anything, so I went to the Mixcraft forums and one of the Mixcraft guys there just said it can't be done, the best I can do is control Mixcraft remotely with an app or MIDI controller. Which doesnt really solve my problem of minimizing the fucking about involved, I'd like to do it from a keyboard if possible so I can use both hands for the typing without having to keep stopping to put my hand on another controller.

hedgehog90

I had a look earlier and the simplest solution is to use what I suggested earlier - AutoHotKey.

1) Download and install autohotkey - https://www.autohotkey.com/

2) Create a .ahk file, edit it in notepad and copy/paste the following:

SetTitleMatchMode, 2 ; set window title match to return true on partial match

F3::ControlSend, , {Control down}{+}{Control up}, Mixcraft ; On pressing F3, send the command Ctrl+Plus to a window title including the string 'Mixcraft'

Notes:
- Everything after a semicolon denotes a comment
- If you're using the += key (left of backspace), you might need to change {+} to {=}. If it's the numpad + key it would be {NumpadAdd}
- Make sure the window title includes the string 'Mixcraft', otherwise edit the script appropriately. It's important to note that it's case sensitive (the window title is usually displayed in the top left of the window)

3) Save the .ahk file + Run it.
If you've installed AutoHotKey correctly it should run when you double click the file in Explorer, you'll notice an H icon in the notification area of your taskbar, indicating that the script is running.
If you edit the .ahk file you'll need to reload it for the changes to take effect (right click the H icon and click Reload This Script)

If F3 doesn't work for some reason you can try a different F key or key combination. I found I couldn't use any modifier keys (shift, alt, control, win) without them interfering with the ControlSend function. As long as you only need to set up a few key commands it should be safe to use the F keys (and as long as the focused window doesn't also use F3...)
If you do want to try using modifier keys anyway, precede F3 with the following:
# = Win, ^ = Control, ! = Alt, + = Shift

So Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1 would be ^!+1

Further reading: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

Closing note - this is not guaranteed to work! I've tested it with different programs, and some just don't listen to key commands if they're not in focus.
I tried it with Audacity for instance and it ran faultlessly, however sending key commands to Chrome wouldn't work unless the window was in focus.

Good luck!

EDIT: If the window title isn't displayed you can use a built-in utility called WindowSpy - right click the H icon and click 'Window Spy'

BeardFaceMan

Thursday

I've got an issue with a CPU overheating, tried a few minor things, but it seems to have made it worse. This seems to be beyond the scope of what I can fix or even properly diagnose... so I'm wondering what are the usual venues to go to for repairs?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Thursday on September 01, 2019, 01:11:28 PM
I've got an issue with a CPU overheating, tried a few minor things, but it seems to have made it worse. This seems to be beyond the scope of what I can fix or even properly diagnose... so I'm wondering what are the usual venues to go to for repairs?

First check there's not a rogue process just sitting there doing nothing except eating up CPU.

If you've not cleaned out all the dust in quite some time then clean out all the dust.

And as a last resort - Renew/reapply the thermal paste.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Thursday on September 01, 2019, 01:11:28 PM

Above post is probably reality but there are a few issues with Intel AND the new AMD CPUs lately, so it would be good to know 1) what brand, and 2) when you got it

Everyone should use CPUZ as it's a tiny app that tells you your specs so us nerds can laugh at the puniness of your machine help better

magval

Anyone know how to rip videos from Vimeo or Dailymotion? Easy or not?

NoSleep

Aren't you allowed to download stuff from Vimeo directly?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: magval on October 27, 2019, 08:27:40 AM
Anyone know how to rip videos from Vimeo or Dailymotion? Easy or not?
Piece of piss if you get Jdownloader. It can be used for loads of video sites, even including Youtube.

Quote from: NoSleep on October 27, 2019, 08:29:49 AM
Aren't you allowed to download stuff from Vimeo directly?
Only if the uploader allows it, but lots of em don't.

hedgehog90

youtube-dl is the most comprehensive video downloader there is. Despite its name it works on hundreds of sites besides YouTube.
Jdownloader is good as a general download manager but I think youtube-dl is more what you're looking for:

https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/

If you're cool and enjoy using command prompt, here's the unwrapped non-GUI version:

https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

magval

justnoise

Looks like I misunderstood the title of this forum.  Soz.

TL;DR - do Macs automatically make temp files for things you open from external drives?
Caused a right fucking hassle.

Malcy

Quote from: justnoise on December 09, 2019, 03:32:46 PM
Looks like I misunderstood the title of this forum.  Soz.

Seems like it. Mine was locked and wasn't even computer related. Does Technology = Gaming here now? Seems pointless as queries like ours will just get lost in amongst tons of other posts in one page.

Is it possible that your Mac automatically copied the files over like when you insert a USB/External into a Windows device that gives you the option of what action to take and enables you to do the selected on insertion each time? If that makes sense.

NoSleep