Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:30:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justnoise

Quote from: Malcy on December 09, 2019, 04:09:48 PM
Seems like it. Mine was locked and wasn't even computer related. Does Technology = Gaming here now? Seems pointless as queries like ours will just get lost in amongst tons of other posts in one page.

Well there are loads of posts about headphones, Hi-Fis, telephones and other gadgets, so it's not just gaming.
Oh well, not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Quote from: Malcy on December 09, 2019, 04:09:48 PM
Is it possible that your Mac automatically copied the files over like when you insert a USB/External into a Windows device that gives you the option of what action to take and enables you to do the selected on insertion each time? If that makes sense.
Thanks, maybe it was something like that.
I've still not worked out what the hell happened, but managed to fix things with my lady anyway.
Had to just say "I have not idea how that happened, but I'm very sorry".  There were loads of photos just in the 'My Documents' folder, which makes no sense to me as I don't even use that.

I think I'll just have to be extra careful in future.  Not that it's likely to happen again.  I'm going to smash all my old sticks  and hard-drives with a hammer and throw them in a lake, just in case.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: justnoise on December 10, 2019, 08:16:40 AM

I think I'll just have to be extra careful in future.  Not that it's likely to happen again.  I'm going to smash all my old sticks  and hard-drives with a hammer and throw them in a lake, just in case.

Vasectomy talk goes in general bullshit

falafel

Just make sure it's not the same lake as the body, that would look bad

Barry Admin

The stuff about hifis etc shouldn't be in here either. It's a gaming forum, the name is a misleading Brass Eye reference.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 11, 2019, 06:49:52 PM
The stuff about hifis etc shouldn't be in here either. It's a gaming forum, the name is a misleading Brass Eye reference.

I've seen this reference before, but to dissect the frog further what is the Brass Eye reference? Nothing springs readily to mind.

touchingcloth

magval

Here's one. To start with, the laptop isn't mine, it's a work colleague. There's the context.

I've a laptop, has a Windows 7 sticker on it so I'm going to presume that's its OS.

When I try and turn it on, it can't find the Boot. Seeing as I don't have the original CD, I'm going to try and find the Boot BIOS online.

Here're my queries:

1) Computer guy at work recommended not bothering with Windows 7 as support for it is ceasing early 2020. If I go for Windows 10, is it likely the laptop will be able to run it?

2) The laptop wants to check the disc drive before it'll boot from a USB, but neither me or the woman the laptop belongs to knows the admin password to change this order. Is there a standard password for Dell laptops? Or, is the admin password the same as the standard login password?

Thanks for any help folks. Hoping to spare this woman having to buy a new computer.

An tSaoi

While we're on laptops: Dell Inspiron somethingsomething. Windows whatever.

I close the lid to make it sleep.

I open it again after a few hours, and it says "checking media". (If it's only been a few minutes it's fine)

Then it all goes old fashioned like it's 4:3 stretched to 16:9, and says something about no media found.

All I can do is hard restart.

What gives?

PLZ MAKE PROBLM FIXD

NoSleep

Does it do the same thing if you manually select sleep?

An tSaoi

I don't know; I've never manually selected sleep. I just shut the lid.

NoSleep

An tSaoi

I've made it sleep for 50 mins, and it came back on okay. But I reckon if I left it overnight it would have the "no media" problem.

NoSleep

Try it tonight. But you said the problem arose after only a short time when you close the lid. What if it isn't going to sleep properly if you close the lid? Could be a mechanical problem.

After leaving it with the lid up but asleep all night, try putting it to sleep then closing the lid the next night. You may be able to put it to sleep then close the lid OK.

An tSaoi

Quote from: NoSleep on December 15, 2019, 10:01:01 PM
Try it tonight. But you said the problem arose after only a short time when you close the lid.

It's after a few hours with the lid. Seems to be closing fine.

QuoteAfter leaving it with the lid up but asleep all night, try putting it to sleep then closing the lid the next night. You may be able to put it to sleep then close the lid OK.

I'll give it a try thanks.

An tSaoi

I've kept it up all night (oo-er missus), and got the same problem.

After the Checking media screen it goes to a white screen that says:

Dell Support Assist

Product Name etc

X Hard Drive Not Installed

NoSleep

NoSleep

I was just getting you to run some tests that might close in on the real problem (as I've had similar); Wilbur is the PC expert in this thread.

My experience with a laptop was a Mac and there came a time when I found there was an issue around putting it asleep as the OS upgraded. I guessed the software was not designed to work efficiently with older machines. But there was never an issue with putting it to sleep and leaving the lid up. If I closed it, I'd always have to power down first.

Wilbur

Power saving is quite buggy in the latest couple of iterations of Windows. Best bet is to see if there are any updated chipset or bios drivers from the Dell website.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1?app=drivers

Stick your service code in there.

Mandatory warning, updating your bios has the potential to fuck the machine if you interrupt it part way through or it loses power.

An tSaoi

Barry Admin

Good to see you in here helping people again, Wilbur, now I've moved puter problems back to where they should be. Much appreciated chum!

Wilbur

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 18, 2019, 10:34:29 PM
Good to see you in here helping people again, Wilbur, now I've moved puter problems back to where they should be. Much appreciated chum!

It's usually on a label somewhere on the machine. Have a look underneath the battery if it's removable.

Barry Admin

Someone turn Wilbur off and on again pls.

Wilbur

Quote from: An tSaoi on December 18, 2019, 10:32:12 PM
Where do I find my service code?

It's usually on a label somewhere on the machine. Have a look underneath the battery if it's removable.

Kryton

Okay so having a few issues as from today.

Issue: Youtube stuttering both visually and the audio too. Some games having audio issues.

Tested to see if the same thing happened in any games. Tried Rocket League, had a few issues with sound failure. The sound basically cut out and seemed to have a few clipping /graphical stuttering issues.

Have checked drivers, all seem fine. Have checked for yellow icons in the control panel/driver - no yellow icons.
Checked my Geforce gfx card to update drivers but it seems I'm up to date.

One issue I had was trying to open Geforce experience and had error 'geforce error code 0x0003'. I uninstalled Geforce experience and reinstalled it but no further errors. However it does seem convenient that there's an issue? Could be related?                           

Checked / fixed registry via CCleaner. Fixed a bit of junk. Emptied recycled bin etc, minor firewall error... Nothing out of the ordinary.

Scanned for malware with malwarebytes - Nothing detected.

Just about to try a windows update now with a restart, see how I get on a report back.

Kryton

Restarted after a windows update.

Still having audio errors.

Could be an issue with my speakers/cable perhaps as i'm getting no hardware errors or software/driver issues?

Wilbur

Probably worth ruling out it being another program interfering. Start the machine with nothing else running and see if it still occurs. Are you using Windows ? If so run msconfig, go to services and tick hide all Microsoft services and then disable all  and apply, restart and see if it still happens. If it does it's probably hardware. If not you can add services back in one by one to see which one is breaking it.

Kryton

Sussed it. My control pad has a wonky wire/slightly crushed USB port.

Removing it seemed to fix everything. So some kind of weird hardware conflict. Good to know it's a peripheral device that's the issue rather than the computer. Phew.

Kryton

Actually it's not fixed. Youtube videos still jerky as fuck. Video and audio seem a bit crunchy. Help.